Taylor's Assistants at OKST

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Lee runs a company, but that could probably be done from anywhere.

Thanks was not aware of that, but looks like it’s an athletic apparel company where all of the “models” are NLWC people

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

One of the funnier aspects to this whole thing is Cael Sanderson, who left Ames in what, 2009, still owns and operates multiple businesses in Ames. He even purchased 4 duplex properties there 5 years AFTER leaving Ames. 

https://www.amestrib.com/story/news/local/2014/03/14/ex-isu-wrestling-coach-sanderson/27291182007/

Hopefully this puts an end to everyone's dumb speculation that side hustles and owning property means you're tied somewhere for life. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

One of the funnier aspects to this whole thing is Cael Sanderson, who left Ames in what, 2009, still owns and operates multiple businesses in Ames. He even purchased 4 duplex properties there 5 years AFTER leaving Ames. 

https://www.amestrib.com/story/news/local/2014/03/14/ex-isu-wrestling-coach-sanderson/27291182007/

Hopefully this puts an end to everyone's dumb speculation that side hustles and owning property means you're tied somewhere for life. 

No... but it does make it hard to train for the Olympics while starting a new job, recruiting, learning the ropes etc.  Recruiting officially starts June 15th?

So while, I think he can do just about everything (except M2) business-wise, and move to Stillwater, he won't really to be able to train full-time and attend to his businesses AND coach.

But but but John Smith did! That was 1992, Smith was a co-coach with Monday, and was very familiar with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, the athletic dept., and the wrestlers.  DT, not so much.

And I don't think Bo or Brooks will be joining.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

21 hours ago, ionel said:

Don't know why, he is a grown man and I'm betting like John he wants whats best for OSU wrestling.

So you are saying that Coleman Scott wants David Taylor to have the Head job?  I'm pretty sure Coleman Scott thinks he is a better fit than DT.  Plus, this has to be a big kick in the balls to Smith.  He hand picked Scott to come in and replace him.  It sounds to me like Ok St.  kind of went around Smith.  I'm not saying that DT is a bad hire at all.  In fact I think he is going to be great.  It just feels to me that OK St. did Coleman really dirty.  

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No... but it does make it hard to train for the Olympics while starting a new job, recruiting, learning the ropes etc.  Recruiting officially starts June 15th?

Oh, I thought your comment about Lee running a company was in jest of Taylor's side hustles preventing him from taking the OkSt job, lol. 

While I don't think side hustles or ties to the area will really impact anyone's decision to leave, I do firmly believe their training and wrestling goals will. That's why I don't see anyone who's deeply in the midst of training for the Olympics jumping ship, it'd be way too much of a distraction / pain in the ass IMO. 

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Oh, I thought your comment about Lee running a company was in jest of Taylor's side hustles preventing him from taking the OkSt job, lol. 

While I don't think side hustles or ties to the area will really impact anyone's decision to leave, I do firmly believe their training and wrestling goals will. That's why I don't see anyone who's deeply in the midst of training for the Olympics jumping ship, it'd be way too much of a distraction / pain in the ass IMO. 

I figured Lee could do his business from wherever.  Nolf, too. Bo (if he were a candidate) probably not so much.  Other guys, who knows?  

11 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I figured Lee could do his business from wherever.  Nolf, too. Bo (if he were a candidate) probably not so much.  Other guys, who knows?  

I'm following ya and agreed.

• Bob 1

56 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Quite a few are also pretty much full-time wrestling (not that there’s anything wrong with that of course, but they’d seem like good candidates to coach somewhere eventually).

Snyder, Dake, Nolf, Lee, RBY are a few that come to mind unless I’m mistaken and any of them have other full-time jobs, probably Brooks after he graduates.  I know Nolf runs an app or something but it’s wrestling-related.

54 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Lee gave an interview before Olympic trials saying he’s probably going to try and make a world team next year then retire and become a lawyer like his father , RBY is probably going right into MMA after Olympics he’s been training with Dominick Cruz for years now ..Synder wants to wrestle until he’s 40 

21 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Brooks isn’t leaving NLWC and Nickal is in the UFC.

Seems the rumors are Gilman is likely going and Kennedy.  Who knows after that.

I do think Marinelli could be a good coach, and seems like a good candidate to start up a weekly Bible study that could rival PSU’s.  I think he’d be an interesting hire so that it’s not all PSU guys.  He and Taylor both graduated from the same high school right?

Yes, but a big enough age gap where it makes it irrelevant(guessing). I do not think Taylor has many roots in Saint Paris after graduating. I believe his family moved to State College. Honestly, there aren't any other Saint Paris Graham kids in college coaching besides Bo Jordan - who I did see Taylor use as a drill partner often when they were younger and smaller.

21 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Brooks isn’t leaving NLWC and Nickal is in the UFC.

Seems the rumors are Gilman is likely going and Kennedy.  Who knows after that.

I do think Marinelli could be a good coach, and seems like a good candidate to start up a weekly Bible study that could rival PSU’s.  I think he’d be an interesting hire so that it’s not all PSU guys.  He and Taylor both graduated from the same high school right?

Who cares if it's all PSU guys? They're the best program out there, and none of the others are close.  

21 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Yes, but a big enough age gap where it makes it irrelevant(guessing). I do not think Taylor has many roots in Saint Paris after graduating. I believe his family moved to State College. Honestly, there aren't any other Saint Paris Graham kids in college coaching besides Bo Jordan - who I did see Taylor use as a drill partner often when they were younger and smaller.

St Paris has a few in coaching Steibler at Ohio state , Brascetta at Maryland , Heil was coaching until this most recent Olympic run I think he ll be back in a D1 room sooner then later , NATO was on the duke staff until 2 years ago I know he has his own academy but good chance he jumps back In at some point  

39 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Who cares if it's all PSU guys? They're the best program out there, and none of the others are close.  

Yes but hopefully Taylor implements some of his own style and doesn’t just copy PSU.

9 hours ago, Husker U said:

So you are saying that Coleman Scott wants David Taylor to have the Head job?  I'm pretty sure Coleman Scott thinks he is a better fit than DT.  Plus, this has to be a big kick in the balls to Smith.  He hand picked Scott to come in and replace him.  It sounds to me like Ok St.  kind of went around Smith.  I'm not saying that DT is a bad hire at all.  In fact I think he is going to be great.  It just feels to me that OK St. did Coleman really dirty.  

This is a huge nut kick to Coleman Scott and John Smith. BUT when Scott was hired from UNC,  David Taylor was not even in the picture as a future coach. He was going to be wrestling in the Paris Olympics. Whoops!

Also and more importantly, Ok State wrestling then found their own version of T Boone Pickens who did not want money (salary, staff and NIL) to keep them from getting Taylor.

it was the best possible move for Okla State if they have any desire to become relevant in the NCAA tournament because Taylor will attract recruits and good assistant coaches.

Coleman Scott will be a head coach somewhere and probably a better job than UNC.

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

A poster on OSU forum is claiming that supposedly Scott has “unfollowed” Taylor as well as some fans that supported the Taylor hire

I've unfollowed the poster who claimed CS unfollowed DT.  😉

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

A poster on OSU forum is claiming that supposedly Scott has “unfollowed” Taylor as well as some fans that supported the Taylor hire

if this is true he really shouldn't have gotten the job....(jokes aside I would be annoyed to have that stuff pop up on my phone too)

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

St Paris has a few in coaching Steibler at Ohio state , Brascetta at Maryland , Heil was coaching until this most recent Olympic run I think he ll be back in a D1 room sooner then later , NATO was on the duke staff until 2 years ago I know he has his own academy but good chance he jumps back In at some point  

I don't think Steibler went to St. Paris, just did some summer training with them. Went to Monroeville.

Heil St. Eds?

NaTo CVCA for sure.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Brain 1
  • Wrestle 1

13 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I don't think Steibler went to St. Paris, just did some summer training with them. Went to Monroeville.

Heil St. Eds?

NaTo CVCA for sure.

Correct.

• Bob 3