David Taylor to Coach Oklahoma State???

Scott is obviously the more experienced and proven coach (and may well be better at developing), but if you want a chance to compete with PSU, you need a name that will draw in top recruits. Scott will not have anywhere the draw that Taylor will have.

Under the assumption that all of this is true, would Scott have the job if Talor won trials?

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Minnow is reporting that the job has been offered to DT. I'm not an Okie State fan, but this would be awesome for the sport imo. 

I agree

11 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Scott is obviously the more experienced and proven coach (and may well be better at developing), but if you want a chance to compete with PSU, you need a name that will draw in top recruits. Scott will not have anywhere the draw that Taylor will have.

Under the assumption that all of this is true, would Scott have the job if Talor won trials?

Taylor had two pupils finish in the top 3 in NCAA's this year a true freshman and true sophomore.  It would apprear he has the ability to develop talent, perhaps better than Coleman.  

• Wrestle 1

1 minute ago, Threadkilla said:

Taylor had two pupils finish in the top 3 in NCAA's this year a true freshman and true sophomore.  It would apprear he has the ability to develop talent, perhaps better than Coleman.  

Does Taylor coach at PSU in a small capacity working with certain kids? Or are you referring to people he trained at M2 before college? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Does Taylor coach at PSU in a small capacity working with certain kids? Or are you referring to people he trained at M2 before college? 

Haines and Kasak are two of his pupils at M2.   He has provided videos training with Haines this past offseason.

Edited by Threadkilla
  • Bob 2

That was in parentheses because it remains to be seen how DT will do developing college kids as a head coach. Those two were AA caliber out of HS, but no doubt they also benefited from being in the PSU room. DT will pull some big recruits early on, but he'll have to get them to the top of the podium quickly, or his name power will fade. It's worth it for OSU either way, as the risk is not any higher than with Scott, but the potential upside is much higher.
  • Bob 1

Posted (edited)

If they land Taylor it will be the best coaching hire since Sanderson left Iowa State, for State College imo.

It's a game changer.

Edited by The Kid
  • Bob 5

Then again he may be the Neon Dion Sanders at Colorado version for Wrestling.

A lot of flash, smoke & mirrors, big transfers and then a bit of a fizzle.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Posted (edited)

I did not expect to like this idea so much, but it would be undeniably excellent for the sport.

David would bring so much of that room’s knowledge, and would put his own spin on it, potentially also disseminating some of that on down the line to the broader wrestling community, this would improve wrestling across the board below college as well.

Edited by wrestle87
  • Bob 3

44 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
4 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

That was in parentheses because it remains to be seen how DT will do developing college kids as a head coach. Those two were AA caliber out of HS, but no doubt they also benefited from being in the PSU room. DT will pull some big recruits early on, but he'll have to get them to the top of the podium quickly, or his name power will fade. It's worth it for OSU either way, as the risk is not any higher than with Scott, but the potential upside is much higher.

They were at M2 when they were in HS.     I'm pretty sure that DT said that Haines was his first pupil at his club.  They developed under DT.   

25 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Then again he may be the Neon Dion Sanders at Colorado version for Wrestling.

A lot of flash, smoke & mirrors, big transfers and then a bit of a fizzle.

The difference here is that Taylor has built guys who’ve reached the top level.  Dion hasn’t worked yet because people underestimated the speed and physical aspects of top D1 schools.  Colorado was too small and beat up all year.  He also just social media’d his way into the position.  

Taylor has the ability to coach his guys to be good at all levels, because he started as a tiny guy and built himself up.  Dion was never a lineman or a backer.

Well obviously DT would be a dream catch for any school. And if they are able to hire DT, I’m sure that there will be dancing in the streets of Stillwater. But it makes me feel bad for CS. 

4 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

If DT becomes OSU coach all bets are off and people will be surprised as far as the Penn State transfers who will follow him to Stilly

really who?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well obviously DT would be a dream catch for any school. And if they are able to hire DT, I’m sure that there will be dancing in the streets of Stillwater. But it makes me feel bad for CS. 

Does make me feel a bit bad, but that’s also part of the game, coleman 11th houred his kids at UNC, which was shitty of him to do, so…I’m more inclined to feel that karma is real and is a bit of a bitch when it comes back around.

He could have been so much more above board about it, but he chose to be selfish with his decision, and left his guys hanging.  Had a coach do that in college, and it basically ruins the season.  From a wrestling perspective, that stuff needs to be communicated in the spring, anything later than that has a real cost for the team you leave.

So, for CS, sucks if it happens, but you also get what you give.

They were at M2 when they were in HS.     I'm pretty sure that DT said that Haines was his first pupil at his club.  They developed under DT.   
Yes, I understand that. At least try to comprehend my comment before making an unnecessary contrary reply.

As a college head coach, he's going to have to turn those caliber of guys into national champs, without the benefit of the PSU room, in order to compete with Cael.

I think it is a sign of OSU diminished stature in the wrestling world that they went to State College to pursue Taylor and/or Cunningham.  The OSU of twenty or so years ago would have taken a swing at Sanderson.

• Bob 1
  • Clown 1

2 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I think it is a sign of OSU diminished stature in the wrestling world that they went to State College to pursue Taylor and/or Cunningham.  The OSU of twenty or so years ago would have taken a swing at Sanderson.

I would agree that PSU is now the premiere program and nobody in college wrestling has any hope of hiring Cael away.  

11 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Yes, I understand that. At least try to comprehend my comment before making an unnecessary contrary reply.

As a college head coach, he's going to have to turn those caliber of guys into national champs, without the benefit of the PSU room, in order to compete with Cael.

Please try to comprehend my comment,  you stated that they were AA quality out of HS,  did you not?    They were not benefitting directly from the PSU room,  they both trained at M2, I wasn't being a contrarian I was saying he developed 2 guys that were able to compete right out of the gate., both as true freshman.    Point being I believe DT has shown  that he has the ability to develop talent.  

6 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I would agree that PSU is now the premiere program and nobody in college wrestling has any hope of hiring Cael away.  

But what if DT hires Cael as head assistant?  

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, boconnell said:

In the 80s Iowa was the premier program and they tried to hire Gable to replace Chesbro.  Doesn't seem like they even made an attempt or if they did Sanderson considered it less than Gable did.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/1984/03/23/paper-says-osu-casting-eye-at-gable/62809463007/

16 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Never say never. Money has a way of talking.