Starocci will return next year

Starocci just announced he’s returning next year. In an earlier interview, before he anointed his return, he said he might go to 197 if he returned. Not clear if that’s still the plan. I guess we’ll see. 

2 minutes ago, peanut said:

Starocci just announced he’s returning next year. In an earlier interview, before he anointed his return, he said he might go to 197 if he returned. Not clear if that’s still the plan. I guess we’ll see. 

I NEVER thought he'd walk away from a chance at 5 and whatever NIL he's going to get for the chance to be the first 5X Champ. The freak set of circumstances that came together, it'll be cool to see. 

• Bob 1

hopefully cael is pitching 197 to make him a 86k and keep him wrestling. after beating the domestically undefeated when training champion of america sky is the limit for starooci.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, peanut said:

Iowa?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He also stated he is the highest paid college wrestler “by a lot”

Yeah...that's fair and makes sense. A 5X National Champ? He'll be a...9X National Champ all told? I mean, unless things go REALLY poorly.

What will PSU’s lineup look like next year? my guess…

125- Lilledahl

133- Davis / Nagao

141- Bartlett

149- SVN

157- Kasak

165- Haines

174- MM / Facundo

184- Barr

197- Starocci

285- Mirasola (Kerk?)

8 minutes ago, peanut said:

125- Lilledahl

133- Davis / Nagao

141- Bartlett

149- SVN

157- Kasak

165- Haines

174- MM / Facundo

184- Barr

197- Starocci

285- Mirasola (Kerk?)

Some stud is gonna miss out on a year of eligibility. Haines has to stay down at 157 and Kasak needs to redshirt. Haines might need to use a redshirt if he wants to go up to give Messenebrink an extra year to grow into 174.

18 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Some stud is gonna miss out on a year of eligibility. Haines has to stay down at 157 and Kasak needs to redshirt. Haines might need to use a redshirt if he wants to go up to give Messenebrink an extra year to grow into 174.

I would wager that it is Haines going 174 year after next, if he can beat Facundo (he just got controlled rather convincingly, albeit in MFS against Facundo).

• Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

44 minutes ago, RYou said:

Starocci will have a hard time capturing #5 at 197, much too small.

He wrestled Thicclay tougher than every 197lber not named Aaron Brooks did during the NCAA season.

He will win whatever weight he chooses.

• Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

45 minutes ago, RYou said:

Starocci will have a hard time capturing #5 at 197, much too small.

He did not look undersized at 86kg (189 lbs) at the OTTs. 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

He wrestled Thicclay tougher than every 197lber not named Aaron Brooks did during the NCAA season.

I would love to see him against PK.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

would not be shocked if ryder beats out barr at 184, Levi red shirting also feels like it could be on the table.

I don't think Levi will redshirt.  I think he will wrestle the next two years and Duke should be coming off redshirt to take over, they have so many options I don't think shirting a 2 time finalist is the answer.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peanut said:

125- Lilledahl

133- Davis / Nagao

141- Bartlett

149- SVN

157- Kasak

165- Haines

174- MM / Facundo

184- Barr

197- Starocci

285- Mirasola (Kerk?)

125lbs - Lilledahl (Davis RS).

133lbs - Nagao

141lbs - Barlett

149lbs - SVN

157lbs - MM

165lbs - Facundo (Haines RS)

174lbs - Carter

184lbs - Josh Barr

197lbs - Mirosola

285lbs - ?

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

20 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

125lbs - Lilledahl (Davis RS).

133lbs - Nagao

141lbs - Barlett

149lbs - SVN

157lbs - MM

165lbs - Facundo (Haines RS)

174lbs - Carter

184lbs - Josh Barr

197lbs - Mirosola

285lbs - ?

I guess in this scenario Ryder and Kasak redshirt and Miro redshirts only if Kerk takes the NIL offer and returns?  Any idea how hard it is for Carter or Barr to make 174?   Is Facundo comfortable fattening up to 174.   PSU has some crazy depth except at 285.   Between Carter, Barr, and Ryder who is the best fit for 197 if Mirosola is redshirted?

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Shorter wrestlers have done it. 

Unless I'm missing something here there hasn't ever been a Shorter wrestler win 197? Matter of fact, they JUST revived their program last month.

https://nwcaonline.com/news/2024/4/11/national-wrestling-coaches-association-shorter-university-revives-mens-wrestling-program-names-colborn-head-coach.aspx

4 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Unless I'm missing something here there hasn't ever been a Shorter wrestler win 197? Matter of fact, they JUST revived their program last month.

https://nwcaonline.com/news/2024/4/11/national-wrestling-coaches-association-shorter-university-revives-mens-wrestling-program-names-colborn-head-coach.aspx

Ok ... you got me on the facts there ... I retrack my statement.  😕

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I am not convinced he wins 174 if KOT goes up.  He wins 184 but it would be nice to see him and PK.   Both finalist leave 197 and its probably the easiest of the 3 weights.