Top P4P male US wrestlers (based on vibes)

As of today, who do you think are the top ten male US wrestlers? I have freestyle and folkstyle (if appropriate) in mind. No criteria — this is about vibes. My top ten:

1- Brooks (yes I said it)

2- Vito

3- Dake

4- Zain

5- Snyder

6- Zahid 

7- Parris

8- Lee

9- DT

10- Nolf

Edited by peanut

• peanut changed the title to Top P4P male US wrestlers (based on vibes)

I agree with Brooks. Think we will find out DT lost to one of the best wrestlers in the world.

2. I also think the same about Spencer... Think he is going to show us at Olympic Qualifier. 

3. Vito (at 61, my favorite to watch)

4. Zane (at 70 not sure at 65) put him ahead of Dake because of a more consistent attacking offense.

5. Dake

(Side note. If Brooks is as good as I feel he is, we may have the top 2 P4P at the same weight)

• Bob 1

I don’t know, Brooks Zahid was 7-6 with a singlet pull point. Zahid also body slammed him. I think Yazdani is going to be uber motivated to win that Olympic title.  He’s killed everyone not named Taylor.  If Brooks does win it he jumps levels in my mind as he just did beating Taylor. 

1 hour ago, peanut said:

As of today, who do you think are the top ten male US wrestlers? I have freestyle and folkstyle (if appropriate) in mind. No criteria — this is about vibes. My top ten:

1- Brooks (yes I said it)

2- Vito

3- Dake

4- Zain

5- Snyder

6- Zahid 

7- Parris

8- Lee

9- DT

10- Nolf

I assume DT would have been 1 on your list had he beaten Brooks. So he drops 3 spots below Zahid to 9?  If you think Brooks is 1 DT should be 2. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I assume DT would have been 1 on your list had he beaten Brooks. So he drops 3 spots below Zahid to 9?  If you think Brooks is 1 DT should be 2. 

Yes, I had DT at #1 after 2023 worlds, and I would have had him at #1 had I gotten different data from the OTTs. But the data I got is the data I got. Within his own weight class I thought Brooks and Zahid looked better. But DT’s still top ten — which is not a steep drop at all in light of the huge number of wrestlers we have nationwide in all weight classes.

As for Zahid, he had a super close match with Brooks that ended in an unfortunate manner. I wish they could have re-wrestled the match. He looked super tough. But I also have to note that Brooks came through the bracket while Zahid got a bye to the challenge tournament semis. So Zahid had a physical advantage.

What Brooks just did is insane. He finished his college season with a Hodge. Then a month later he drops down to 86kg and goes through the OTT bracket and beats a fresher Zahid in the challenge tournament finals, at close to midnight. Then he cuts weight past midnight (to an unknown time) after the challenge tournament and weighs in the next morning around 8am. Then he beats the reigning world and Olympic champ in two straight matches — one at midday and one in the evening — when the reigning champ didn’t have to bother with the challenge tournament. 🤯

Edited by peanut

I don’t know, Brooks Zahid was 7-6 with a singlet pull point. Zahid also body slammed him. I think Yazdani is going to be uber motivated to win that Olympic title.  He’s killed everyone not named Taylor.  If Brooks does win it he jumps levels in my mind as he just did beating Taylor. 

You conveniently ignored the TD that the ref took from Brooks, resulting in a one point swing towards Zahid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

13 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

4. Zane (at 70 not sure at 65) put him ahead of Dake because of a more consistent attacking offense.

Zane was the #1 seed at 57 for the challenge tourney.  No way he belongs on the P4P list, especially as a 65 kg.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Everyone seems to just assume since Brooks beat DT that he'll do the same to Yazdani due to transitive property, but I'm interested to see how that match goes. Who's able to push who around, who's able to get to the underhooks, etc. Brooks doesn't wrestle like DT. 

Edited by pokemonster

I'm having trouble not believing that, all things being equal, Zahid is a better wrestler than Brooks. 

He lost to him the last two times they wrestled.

He might be better for two or three minutes, but unfortunately for him, unless he techs Brooks, matches are six minutes long at the senior level.

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Everyone seems to just assume since Brooks beat DT that he'll do the same to Yazdani due to transitive property, but I'm interested to see how that match goes. Who's able to push who around, who's able to get to the underhooks, etc. Brooks doesn't wrestle like DT. 

Yazdani is a legend and Brooks is just starting out. Brooks will rightly be the underdog versus Yazdani. 

• Brain 1

It's hard to unsee Brooks being taken down twice by a high schooler.  Ringer also threw him for 4, in fact wasn't DT the only person not to take him down? 

Obviously still great, but gold medal favorite is a little much at this point. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

It's hard to unsee Brooks being taken down twice by a high schooler.  Ringer also threw him for 4, in fact wasn't DT the only person not to take him down? 
Obviously still great, but gold medal favorite is a little much at this point. 

Kind of funny that Brooks didn’t give up a TD since Marcus Coleman in the 2022-2023 season, then got dunked on twice by his future replacement at Penn State.

15 hours ago, pokemonster said:

It might not be Yazdani - He will have to beat Ghasampor for the spot.  I expect it will be a close contest - they may be Iran's 2 best wrestlers.

That ref officiated a terrible match, starting with being so out of place he cost brooks a takedown.  I’m amazed nobody ever mentions that.

Brooks was still pressuring zahid and had the better tank after having wrestled multiple matches already that day.  Zahid gets far too in his own head, and has matches where his lungs just disappear on him.  Consistency is part of real success internationally, and zahid doesn’t have a track record of that, besides being consistently 2nd - 4th on the ladder at an olympic weight.

Brooks basically just did dake’s version of the fire walk in 2021.  That said, his weight cut is clearly tough, and he gives up silly scores when he’s still close to the scale. Until he blanks people all the way to gold in Paris, I can’t put him high up, because DT looked very physically undertrained, his muscles were ~70% the size of what they usually are.  DT being underprepared is really putting an extra shine on brooks which we could see come off in a hurry.  I suspect he is Daniel Cormier level olympian right now, rather than Cael level.  Also, his weight is weak sauce.  People have given DT a bunch of credit, and he’s good, but he’s a brutally sloppy wrestler who just out-volumed and out-efforted people, basically took the dan gable approach to wrestling with Penn State technique.  

But, based on vibes alone, I go:

1. Dake

2. Snyder (tazhudinov is geared out if his gourd, whatever country he's wrestling for might not have the pull to pay for a clean test)

3. Parris

4. Spencer

5. Retherford

6. Brooks

7. Gilman

8. Nick Lee

9. Nolf

10. Gilman

On 4/27/2024 at 10:19 AM, Le duke said:

You conveniently ignored the TD that the ref took from Brooks, resulting in a one point swing towards Zahid.

Man, thank you. So many people just pretending like that didn’t happen, only for the continuation standard to be ruled the other way for Zahid’s 4.

Apparently we have more than a few fans of team nose candy on this board.

Zahid dropped the ball and all that per usual, but the match was a battle, I think that alone keeps Brooks from #1 despite the DT victories. 

Dake is clearly the #1 probably Snyderman at #2  then its just feel, I personally go Zain then Brooks/DT (Which I may favor DT's style against international competition) then its just a crapshoot of who you prefer, Spencer, Vito, Parris, etc etc.... 

I hope Brooks becomes our next unbeatable legend, but not sure what to expect against Yaz, Naifanov, Kurugliev, etc..... 
Either way, more fun topic than I expected. 

• Brain 2

12 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

That ref officiated a terrible match, starting with being so out of place he cost brooks a takedown.  I’m amazed nobody ever mentions that.

Brooks was still pressuring zahid and had the better tank after having wrestled multiple matches already that day.  Zahid gets far too in his own head, and has matches where his lungs just disappear on him.  Consistency is part of real success internationally, and zahid doesn’t have a track record of that, besides being consistently 2nd - 4th on the ladder at an olympic weight.

Brooks basically just did dake’s version of the fire walk in 2021.  That said, his weight cut is clearly tough, and he gives up silly scores when he’s still close to the scale. Until he blanks people all the way to gold in Paris, I can’t put him high up, because DT looked very physically undertrained, his muscles were ~70% the size of what they usually are.  DT being underprepared is really putting an extra shine on brooks which we could see come off in a hurry.  I suspect he is Daniel Cormier level olympian right now, rather than Cael level.  Also, his weight is weak sauce.  People have given DT a bunch of credit, and he’s good, but he’s a brutally sloppy wrestler who just out-volumed and out-efforted people, basically took the dan gable approach to wrestling with Penn State technique.  

But, based on vibes alone, I go:

1. Dake

2. Snyder (tazhudinov is geared out if his gourd, whatever country he's wrestling for might not have the pull to pay for a clean test)

3. Parris

4. Spencer

5. Retherford

6. Brooks

7. Gilman

8. Nick Lee

9. Nolf

10. Gilman

Gilman at 7 and 10? That’s unorthodox but I will not question your vibes.

• Bob 1

13 hours ago, peanut said:

Gilman at 7 and 10? That’s unorthodox but I will not question your vibes.

Hahaha…that….would be my sleep or lack there off talking.  Call it a wild card at either 7 or 10, insert whoever you like.

Would also be an absolutely blockbuster round 2 matchup at NCAAs.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:44 AM, Spladle08 said:

Dake is clearly the #1 probably Snyderman at #2  then its just feel, I personally go Zain then Brooks/DT (Which I may favor DT's style against international competition) then its just a crapshoot of who you prefer, Spencer, Vito, Parris, etc etc.... 

I would like to say Dake is at the top, but he also got molly-whopped vs Kadimagomedov and I'm not sure he's beating Sidakov. Yet he's absolutely unstoppable domestically. Is this just a matter of his competition being better?