Who do we want to hear from post trials?

Who is a mystery at this point?

Taylor, Burroughs, Starocci (has said he isn't coming back and sense then said he hopes JB comes back so they can wrestle)....who else is sort of lingering on the verge of retirement? Nolf? Retherford basically said he's done after this....Gilman? Richards?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

19 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Taylor, Burroughs, Starocci (has said he isn't coming back and sense then said he hopes JB comes back so they can wrestle)....who else is sort of lingering on the verge of retirement? Nolf? Retherford basically said he's done after this....Gilman? Richards?

I think Starocci only said he wasn't coming back to college because he hates going to class and who cares about five if you are the only one who gets the chance (paraphrasing). But my general sense is we see all of these guys back for a World run, but Taylor, Burroughs, and Gilman are done for Olympic runs.

On the quieter side what do guys a year, or a couple of years out of college who did not hit the pinnacle do?

Once more for Worlds, or no?

57/61kg - Fix, Suriano, Megaludis

65/70kg - Lee, McKenna, Pletcher, Panteleo, Eierman, Henderson, Diakomihalis, Green

74/79kg - blanking

86/94kg - Marsteller, Valencia, Hidlay, Dieringer

97kg - Moore, Macchiavello, Jackson

125kg - Gwiazdowski, Bradley, Hilger

I think there is decent enough money in RTC's and sponsorships now + a lot of these guys will coach in some capacity so I'm sure a lot of them will be on the scene a bit longer. I believe Pletcher and Henderson may already be done as they stepped into bigger coaching roles for their porgrams.

26 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Dake must be getting close to hanging it up, no matter what happens at the Olympics. I wonder what he'll decide.

How about Adeline? Did she retire?

I think Dake’s Olympic podium finish will be a big factor on his future plans. If he wins gold he really doesn’t have anything left to prove. It would have to be tempting to retire while he’s at the top. If he doesn’t win gold I could see him aiming for another world title but I can’t see him making it all the way through the quad to 2028. 

• Bob 1

55 minutes ago, Red95 said:

I think Dake’s Olympic podium finish will be a big factor on his future plans. If he wins gold he really doesn’t have anything left to prove. It would have to be tempting to retire while he’s at the top. If he doesn’t win gold I could see him aiming for another world title but I can’t see him making it all the way through the quad to 2028. 

keep in mind....he's the only one getting younger.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

I think we see Dieringer and Marsteller go 79 KG.  If JB/DT hang them up Dieringer might try to see how he does for a couple years being the guy at 79 KG.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

25 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think we see Dieringer and Marsteller go 79 KG.  If JB/DT hang them up Dieringer might try to see how he does for a couple years being the guy at 79 KG.

I think Marsteller for sure goes 79, not sure if Ringer can make it or not… he looked pretty big to me but I have no inside info there. I’m curious if Burroughs will make a run at 79 this fall? I thought he’d retire at trials, but I guess it makes sense that he worked so hard for this long that he may as well go for one more world title in few months. But he will likely have to go through Nolf and Marsteller to make the team, so I’m not sure if it’s worth it? 

24 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I think Marsteller for sure goes 79, not sure if Ringer can make it or not… he looked pretty big to me but I have no inside info there. I’m curious if Burroughs will make a run at 79 this fall? I thought he’d retire at trials, but I guess it makes sense that he worked so hard for this long that he may as well go for one more world title in few months. But he will likely have to go through Nolf and Marsteller to make the team, so I’m not sure if it’s worth it? 

Dieringer was 79 KG last year.  He has only gone 86 KG when 79 KG was not an option.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2024 at 7:53 PM, Eagle26 said:

what if we get to see one more JB and Chimizo match at non Olympic weights worlds? That would be sweet.

it would be cooler to see in the Olympics. But their matches are some of the first ones I remember watching on YouTube about wrestling.   

On 4/25/2024 at 1:18 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

21 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

what if we get to see one more JB and Chimizo match at non Olympic weights worlds? That would be sweet.

it would be cooler to see in the Olympics. But their matches are some of the first ones I remember watching on YouTube about wrestling.   

I hear Gary Steen is hanging them up