2024 OTT Day 1 Session 2 thread

8 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Can anyone post proof of the singlet pull?

Zahid not accepting the brick seems damning.  But I want to see this.  Ref was super adamant about it.  Seems like side judges decided to trust him.

It's difficult to capture screenshots due to peacock's protections and the fact that the camera angle is on the opposite site. fwiw the ref is on the side that the singlet pull happened on. Pretty clear even from this poor angle that there was a singlet pull, but much more subjective whether or not it was worth calling and having the ref take over the match like this w/ seconds left.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2294fff393df702f2d2d6fa5297a7b8.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Can anyone post proof of the singlet pull?

Zahid not accepting the brick seems damning.  But I want to see this.  Ref was super adamant about it.  Seems like side judges decided to trust him.

singlet_pull.thumb.jpg.55224465e299175796863930149053a7.jpg

• Wrestle 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

Penn State's finest:

That was hard to watch.

Regardless of your affiliation, Jordan Burroughs has brought positive light to this sport in this country. The dude competes hard, as it is how he feeds his family and pays his bills. If you can't understand that winning truly is his business, then you might not understand the level he is at even now.

I know it's unlikely, but I hope JB sticks around for a bit longer. He is GREAT for wrestling's image domestically and internationally. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Any one else think JB was going to leave his shoes on the mat?  It seemed like he might have entertained the thought but then the competitor within him said "no".   Just a guess based on his bodily comportment 

4 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

So chubby ref was not in the tank. If anything, he helped zahid stay upright which cost brooks.

Not here for this pro-NLWC fact-driven slander.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

10 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Thanks to all for posting the pics.

Watched it in slow mo a few times.  Really hard to tell but seem inadvertent.  But, sure as hell seemed like Valencia knew he did it.

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

12 minutes ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

That was hard to watch.

Regardless of your affiliation, Jordan Burroughs has brought positive light to this sport in this country. The dude competes hard, as it is how he feeds his family and pays his bills. If you can't understand that winning truly is his business, then you might not understand the level he is at even now.

I know it's unlikely, but I hope JB sticks around for a bit longer. He is GREAT for wrestling's image domestically and internationally. 

JB is more than the guy who won more golds for the US than anyone else.

People forget now, but when JB first won a gold medal in 2011, the US struggled to win golds. In the ten years before he won his first gold -- from 2001 to 2010 -- the US won a total of 3 golds. Then JB came in and raised the bar for everyone.

Edited by peanut
  • Bob 3
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 2

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Did you watch the same match?  The ref won that match, not Brooks.

The ref tried to win that match for BOTH athletes...amazingly. This was just a hyper inflated 3-shot clock match.

4 minutes ago, peanut said:

People forget now, but when JB first won a gold medal in 2011, the US struggled to win golds. In the ten years before he won his first gold -- from 2001 to 2010 -- the US won a total of 3 golds. Then JB came in and raised the bar for everyone.

And these classless POS's treated him like shit. That and the home cooking reffing was a black eye for a great night of wrestling. Don't hold the trials at a college campus, especially Penn bandwagon State again. 

• Clown 1

3 minutes ago, peanut said:

JB put the US program on his back and Snyder helped him take it to another level regarding public perception. Within our community (all seventeen of uswho attend the US Open) Cael, JB, Snyder, Varner, Howe, Dake, Taylor, and Cox all deserve flowers.

You know who else deserves a metric shitton of credit? Sean Bormet. What he did at the youth level is monumental and people don't pay enough respect.

i am an idiot on the internet

14 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Any one else think JB was going to leave his shoes on the mat?  It seemed like he might have entertained the thought but then the competitor within him said "no".   Just a guess based on his bodily comportment 

I definitely thought this...I thought I saw that on his face after he lost to Dake in 2021, and I thought Dake might have talked him out of it in the moment.

4 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

I had peacock on my phone.  Was able to rewind and watched it a few times.  Never saw the singlet pull.  Must have been a super fast situation.  Inadvertent?  Material impact?  We will never know.

Interesting thing in watching the replay is the mat judge on the side of the "singlet pull" white paddled the C+1

24 minutes ago, oldschool said:

It's difficult to capture screenshots due to peacock's protections and the fact that the camera angle is on the opposite site. fwiw the ref is on the side that the singlet pull happened on. Pretty clear even from this poor angle that there was a singlet pull, but much more subjective whether or not it was worth calling and having the ref take over the match like this w/ seconds left.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2294fff393df702f2d2d6fa5297a7b8.jpeg

Gives me flashbacks of bader being incensed at the burroughs tsargush match, can't remember if it was at worlds or the 2012 olympics, but the dude legit tore a fist-sized hole in JB's singlet

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

Ehhhh JB wrestled him at a significant weight disadvantage and DT only squeaked out a criteria win on him. Can't ignore that JB has owned him and Dake. 

Dake outclassed him last they wrestled. JB’s success against Dake is largely due to the old tournament design, where Dake had to wrestle multiple matches the same day. It’s not a coincidence that when they’ve been on even footing, Dake has been more successful.

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

JB put the US program on his back and Snyder helped him take it to another level regarding public perception. Within our community (all seventeen of uswho attend the US Open) Cael, JB, Snyder, Varner, Howe, Dake, Taylor, and Cox all deserve flowers.

You know who else deserves a metric shitton of credit? Sean Bormet. What he did at the youth level is monumental and people don't pay enough respect.

He, who foisted Will Lewan upon us?

Nay, sir. Nay.

/s

I wonder if the UWW could adopt a policy of something like the following to prevent guys from running at the end of the match, something that almost everyone does, including the very elite guys:

With one minute left, if you are evading action, you get a warning (like a raised fist in folkstyle).  If you continue to evade (run), the other guy gets a point.   This way, you are warned and have the opportunity to engage and change your action and it doesn't leave things immediately in the hands of a ref.   

It would be a policy in addition to the caution plus one when guys go out of bound with larger leads.  And it would help to rectify evasion when the score is much closer at the end.

Just a thought.

24 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Penn State's finest:

Just saw this come through in my wrestling friends group chat before seeing it here and whoever this person is doesn’t belong in our community. Penn State wrestling is great, their guys on the roster seem like great guys (maybe a couple controversial statements from a guy or two aside), but the fan base has some real asses. Dirt bags that tie their ‘legacy’ on to a team they never were on or cared about until Cael started the winning streak they’re on now. 

2 minutes ago, TampaRyley said:

Just saw this come through in my wrestling friends group chat before seeing it here and whoever this person is doesn’t belong in our community. Penn State wrestling is great, their guys on the roster seem like great guys (maybe a couple controversial statements from a guy or two aside), but the fan base has some real asses. Dirt bags that tie their ‘legacy’ on to a team they never were on or cared about until Cael started the winning streak they’re on now. 

Well, the assumption here of course is that it was a Penn State fan.  They were not the only ones in attendance.   People came from all over.   It wasn't a home dual meet.  Just sayin'

Edited by SocraTease
  • Haha 1