Buffalo drama /alleged sabotage

10 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I was thinking more like women's golf.

They are at 6 men's teams and 8 women's teams right now, going to 6 and 9 might be a Title IX bridge too far, even for a modern day AD.  Though I suppose they could invoke the football excuse.

Edited by jchapman

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Just now, jchapman said:

They are at 6 men's teams and 8 women's teams right now, going to 6 and 9 might be a Title IX bridge too far, even for a modern day AD.

They're at seven and nine, actually. Remember, the track and fields count twice.

Also, one of those seven is football, an enormous-roster sport.

4 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Swimming might be cheap to add when you already have a facility, but it’s not a cheap sport to maintain. Numerous ADs have told me they’d rather have a low-maintenance small roster team than a comparable roster size with a pool to manage. As we also know with D1 accounting practices, the math doesn’t always work like it should.

Hmmm....you would think that already having a competitive women's team, that managing the same pool (that you already manage) would be less work than managing an entire wrestling program with soggy mats.

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Wow what a time for them to come out with this, unfortunately wrestling is dead.   Didn’t EMU do the same a month before they dropped wrestling and all funds went into football when they dropped wrestling.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, Greenwave said:

Wow what a time for them to come out with this, unfortunately wrestling is dead.   Didn’t EMU do the same a month before they dropped wrestling and all funds went into football when they dropped wrestling.

Why are you so negative across all posts. I need to get off this forum, everyone here seems to hate wrestling and want to see it fail. 

Just now, flyingcement said:

I appreciate your positivity brother

I’m not even overly optimist most the time, but when this guy dedicated entire threads to “what is the next school to drop wrestling” it seems he just likes the topic. 

You’re knowledgeable. Do you think his comment about CMU waiting to see if Buffalo drops before deciding if they drop their team holds any weight?

I truly don’t see it happening, but I haven’t been around long enough to know what it looks like before a team gets drops.  

1 minute ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I’m not even overly optimist most the time, but when this guy dedicated entire threads to “what is the next school to drop wrestling” it seems he just likes the topic. 

You’re knowledgeable. Do you think his comment about CMU waiting to see if Buffalo drops before deciding if they drop their team holds any weight?

I truly don’t see it happening, but I haven’t been around long enough to know what it looks like before a team gets drops.  

I am not personally familiar with the situation at CMU, however, it would come as a great surprise to me if that was the case.  If they were already on the cusp of cutting the program, I guess there could be some minor benefit of dropping at the same time as another school, but to think it would be a driving factor seems extremely unlikely.  

Higher Ed is a mess...and as politically driven as any "industry" that exists...competing with politics itself.

AD's have near zero accountability within an organization, and institutional opacity is tremendous.  In poorly run organizations, athletic departments are basically unchecked fiefdoms at small D1 schools like ODU.  I love what they best programs are able to provide to the sport, but they smaller programs very much live and die at the whim of random administrators, hence the sports collective distrust of Stanford as an institution.

7 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Not to my knowledge, but it's well known that he isn't a huge fan of Stutzman.

Ah got ya.  I wasn’t aware of that, unfortunately not sure if I recall him ever being discussed much at all until he was let go.

11 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Not to my knowledge, but it's well known that he isn't a huge fan of Stutzman.

I think it goes beyond that , seems to be something personal with that beef. I saw a post where Corby said none of Stutz best guys like him or speak to him (which might be true I have no idea) but I know that Mike Dessino (RIP) loved the guy so I’m not sure who Corby is referring too. Maybe Matt Moley ? Rich Perry? Some buffalo guys? I haven’t seen any athlete talk negative about stutzman before but who really knows 

Don't know much about Stutzman or the Buffalo program but the "sabotage" allegations are pretty clearly bogus -- at least insofar as they're based on misdiagnosed injuries and mold on the mat.  There's pretty much a 0% change a school or trainer would willfully misdiagnose an athlete based on dislike of the program, or fail to clean up a health hazard like moldy mats.  Devoting minimal resources to a program, sure.  But no way they leave themselves open to the legal exposure that would come with intentionally harming an athlete or exposing them to contaminants.  

• Brain 2

26 minutes ago, BAC said:

Don't know much about Stutzman or the Buffalo program but the "sabotage" allegations are pretty clearly bogus -- at least insofar as they're based on misdiagnosed injuries and mold on the mat.  There's pretty much a 0% change a school or trainer would willfully misdiagnose an athlete based on dislike of the program, or fail to clean up a health hazard like moldy mats.  Devoting minimal resources to a program, sure.  But no way they leave themselves open to the legal exposure that would come with intentionally harming an athlete or exposing them to contaminants.  

It reminded me of the women’s soccer team at Purdue one year trying to create a petition to get their coach fired for basically being mean and yelling, as coaches do….

the AD probably is happy to clean house and get a fresh group in their.

On 4/17/2024 at 5:14 PM, Greenwave said:

Suck it, see below, negativity has no room on this board.

7673106C-F754-4706-B703-32BEBD8137E1.png

1 hour ago, Greenwave said:

That is great news let’s hope he can pull back guys who may have been thinking of  leaving.

It really is! Sorry if I was rude, I hate thinking about programs dropping. 

I'm excited to hear who it is! Apparently CMU is also making an announcement next week!