Next schools to add D1 wrestling

With womens wrestling taking off, might more schools add wrestling? One of the drawbacks for wrestling was a lack of balance for womens sports. A couple of years ago I read Western Carolina conducted a study of what sport to add and the result included adding wrestling. Of course, I never heard anything else or seen any movement in that direction. Maybe the new B1G schools???

On 4/12/2024 at 2:57 PM, Greenwave said:

Schools in these States really need to be pushed.

Texas

Georgia 

California

Alabama 

Why is Florida off this list?? Are they adding one, that I missed?

• Bob 1

26 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Why is Florida off this list?? Are they adding one, that I missed?

Florida, GA, Texas (adding one currently) all need a school the recognizes that they are “good” Hs wrestling states and can have success and attract in state talent.

hopefully we see a day where all states have a D1 team, but those three are a good start.  

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:39 PM, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

With womens wrestling taking off, might more schools add wrestling? One of the drawbacks for wrestling was a lack of balance for womens sports. A couple of years ago I read Western Carolina conducted a study of what sport to add and the result included adding wrestling. Of course, I never heard anything else or seen any movement in that direction. Maybe the new B1G schools???

UCLA and USC should absolutely be under the gun to add wrestling.  Both have titanic athletic departments, and have tons of home-grown talent to pull from.  

• Bob 2

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

They used to be super legit back in the day, what the heck happened?

They have't been the same since Spates retired.     I think Kish will turn them around.  He was a good hire.  You can't expect miracles after 1 year.       

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

20 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

They have't been the same since Spates retired.     I think Kish will turn them around.  He was a good hire.  You can't expect miracles after 1 year.       

I agree. He put a good staff around him too I think. I think they need alumni buy in. 

• Bob 1

Would be nice to see UCI (Irvine California) consider a D1 wrestling program. It's a thriving university that can easily afford it and located in an actual beach area of southern California (5-10 minutes away from the beach cities). Cal Baptist is in Riverside California which is a 1-2 hour drive away from the beach and more of a country town

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

UCLA and USC should absolutely be under the gun to add wrestling.  Both have titanic athletic departments, and have tons of home-grown talent to pull from.  

A really interesting aspect about UCLA and USC is they'd have a natural competitive advantage due to their proximity with the APAC countries (also the schools' reputation and alumni base). With the right coaching staff and support, it would be incredible to see those schools pull together a lineup with recruits from China, Japan, Mongolia, Iran, etc.(in addition to the West Coast). NIL could become a strong counterbalance to foreign athletes staying home and getting paid. And women's wrestling in Japan is so stacked, I'm sure there's some good talent willing to train & compete here. 

Unfortunately none of this will happen, but it's fun to think about. 

• Bob 4
  • Brain 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

A really interesting aspect about UCLA and USC is they'd have a natural competitive advantage due to their proximity with the APAC countries (also the schools' reputation and alumni base). With the right coaching staff and support, it would be incredible to see those schools pull together a lineup with recruits from China, Japan, Mongolia, Iran, etc.(in addition to the West Coast). NIL could become a strong counterbalance to foreign athletes staying home and getting paid. And women's wrestling in Japan is so stacked, I'm sure there's some good talent willing to train & compete here. 

This is an incredible point, I had not even thought of that.  But you are right, UCLA and USC should have nearly entirely mongolian and japanese teams.  They would clean up.  

On 4/15/2024 at 12:09 PM, Threadkilla said:

Tell it to Penn State.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

That took 2 years.    

After one year Penn State entered the Land of Miracles, with 4 straight titles.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

On 4/15/2024 at 4:52 PM, BlacknGold said:

Would be nice to see UCI (Irvine California) consider a D1 wrestling program. It's a thriving university that can easily afford it and located in an actual beach area of southern California (5-10 minutes away from the beach cities). Cal Baptist is in Riverside California which is a 1-2 hour drive away from the beach and more of a country town

Yes, beach culture is the key to NCAA wrestling success, just ask PSU, Iowa, OSU, etc.

• Wrestle 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:17 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

I think NIL is tricky for foreign student-athletes. They come via a student visa, which technically does not allow them to work the same as a domestic student. I think this was in the news recently regarding a basketball player from Canada who could not participate in NIL

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, Animal197 said:

I think NIL is tricky for foreign student-athletes. They come via a student visa, which technically does not allow them to work the same as a domestic student. I think this was in the news recently regarding a basketball player from Canada who could not participate in NIL

Zach Edey from Purdue. National player of the year 2x and is unable to get NIL monday 😕 

On 4/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, 11986 said:

hey ODU...never mind

During the winter months, former HC Steve Martin would take recruits to the beach and go surfing. After an hour or two, tell them that they need to go so they can catch the return flight back to the Midwest. Then he would educate them on the current weather conditions in their hometown.  

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2024 at 12:57 PM, wrestle87 said:

Why should they be under any gun? The reason for the merger is to increase revenue for football and men's basketball, not to spend money on other sports. Should Iowa & Penn State be under the gun to add water polo? As it stands, all B1G sports will be forced to spend more money with additional travel costs. Not really a big issue for a football budget, but an issue for smaller budget sports like tennis & golf.

Edited by manatree

1 hour ago, manatree said:

Why should they be under any gun? The reason for the merger is to increase revenue for football and men's basketball, not to spend money on other sports. Should Iowa & Penn State be under the gun to add water polo? As it stands, all B1G sports will be forced to spend more money with additional travel costs. Not really a big issue for a football budget, but an issue for smaller budget sports like tennis & golf.

How long until we see the joke about the swimming/drowning horses?

• Haha 1