RFK Picks his VP candidate

A weird situation in general.  Kennedy's politics are all over the place but have shifted rightward throughout this process.  His biggest donor is also Donald Trump's biggest donor.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-rfk-donations-timothy-mellon-fec-1872315

Trump has reacted on his own social platforms, acting as if he was outraged, but it felt more like he was trying to position RFK as the spoiler against Biden, similar to the strategy Dems ran in several places the last couple of election cycles, most recently with Schiff and Garvey in California.  Basically going on and on about how leftist and liberal RFK is.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Basically going on and on about how leftist and liberal RFK is.

Well he is so ... we wouldn't want him to lie about it now would we? 

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Well he is so ... we wouldn't want him to lie about it now would we? 

Again, if you've listened to him talk over the last year or so, he's shifted many of his opinions rightward.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Again, if you've listened to him talk over the last year or so, he's shifted many of his opinions rightward.

He's is still a leftist and liberal.  Just because I moved 50 miles to the west doesn't mean I'm now an Idahoian.  🥔 

13 minutes ago, ionel said:

He's is still a leftist and liberal.  Just because I moved 50 miles to the west doesn't mean I'm now an Idahoian.  🥔 

Liberals are often brought in to speak at CPAC events.  And they're notoriously big on national abortion plans.  He still holds some liberal positions, but on Many he ha shifted to outright conservative positions.

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Liberals are often brought in to speak at CPAC events.  And they're notoriously big on national abortion plans.  He still holds some liberal positions, but on Many he ha shifted to outright conservative positions.

Name some.

Also go back and listen to JFK's last speech.  Democrats today would throw anyone who said such out of the party.  

Even Bill Clinton was a conservative by today's Dem standards.  He was a fiscal conservative and his social policies were way to the right of his party today.  

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

A weird situation in general.  Kennedy's politics are all over the place but have shifted rightward throughout this process.  His biggest donor is also Donald Trump's biggest donor.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-rfk-donations-timothy-mellon-fec-1872315

Trump has reacted on his own social platforms, acting as if he was outraged, but it felt more like he was trying to position RFK as the spoiler against Biden, similar to the strategy Dems ran in several places the last couple of election cycles, most recently with Schiff and Garvey in California.  Basically going on and on about how leftist and liberal RFK is.

Weird indeed.  His relationship with his own family is rather interesting.  I do think he has moved a tad bit to the right but IMO the image he has moved that way is stronger because of his Covid jab stance.   I can see him taking votes from both sides.  

RFK does have a big draw in that Trump was extremely pro vaccine while he was president and also didn’t stop states from locking down during Covid. So for those who view that as an important issue, he’s very appealing. 

On 3/29/2024 at 6:04 PM, ionel said:

🦗 

I already named one in the post you quoted to make your original point: he's voiced support for a national abortion ban.  He's also spoken out against gun control.  He's also got his vaccination positions which have been mentioned, but to be fair those aren't shifts, he's long been an anti-vaxxer.  His pro-Russian position during their current invasion of Ukraine.

To the geniuses posting about how positions now for the parties are different than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago, no crap.  That's politics.  The current Republican nominee is literally telling people who voted for his opponent he doesn't want them and he's going to run those people out of the party, when they were the mainstream Republicans just 10 years ago.

I see nobody has touched on the fact that the biggest donor for Trump and for RFK is

Spider_Man_meme.thumb.jpg.a5c67a3822e60df6102e1a5e3acafb14.jpg

ETA:  Also, there's no ducking; I just usually take a break from posting right after NCAAs (or try to).

Edited by VakAttack

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I already named one in the post you quoted to make your original point: he's voiced support for a national abortion ban.  He's also spoken out against gun control.  He's also got his vaccination positions which have been mentioned, but to be fair those aren't shifts, he's long been an anti-vaxxer.  His pro-Russian position during their current invasion of Ukraine.

To the geniuses posting about how positions now for the parties are different than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago, no crap.  That's politics.  The current Republican nominee is literally telling people who voted for his opponent he doesn't want them and he's going to run those people out of the party, when they were the mainstream Republicans just 10 years ago.

I re-read the post i quoted, didn't see any reference to positions where RFK Jr moved right.  

You now mention national abortion ban, the Kennedys have always professed to be Catholic, the Catholic Church is against abortion so when did he move on this issue.

Against gun control, 2nd ammendment issue, when was he for gun control (against 2nd ammendment) but then moved to opposing gun control (supporting 2nd ammendment)?

Is he anti-vaxer or just against the covid required vaccination?  How is this a right vs left issue if its science based?  Is for science right wing?  But again when did his position change on vaccination?  

The right isn't pro Russian so how is this moving right to be for Russian?  I'd say is more crazy.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, ionel said:

I re-read the post i quoted, didn't see any reference to positions where RFK Jr moved right.  

You now mention national abortion ban, the Kennedys have always professed to be Catholic, the Catholic Church is against abortion so when did he move on this issue.

Against gun control, 2nd ammendment issue, when was he for gun control (against 2nd ammendment) but then moved to opposing gun control (supporting 2nd ammendment)?

Is he anti-vaxer or just against the covid required vaccination?  How is this a right vs left issue if its science based?  Is for science right wing?  But again when did his position change on vaccination?  

The right isn't pro Russian so how is this moving right to be for Russian?  I'd say is more crazy.

Kennedy has always been anti-vax and that can appeal to people both on the right and on the left.  A lot of people are afraid of needles and really hate when the government is telling them that they have to get shots.  In comparison, Trump and Biden are both pro vaccine (Trump pushed the development of the Covid vaccine faster than what is typical for drug development (and to great effect), and Biden was hugely influential in the incredibly fast rollout of both the Pfizer and Modern vaccines in the U.S. 

5 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Kennedy has always been anti-vax and that can appeal to people both on the right and on the left. 

And thus he did not move to the right on this issue.  

• Brain 1

2 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

Whether he’s moved or not he’s perceived that way 

Bet that wins a lot of legal cases. 

Prosecutor:  "I perceive that your client is guilty therefore case closed."  

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Bet that wins a lot of legal cases. 

Prosecutor:  "I perceive that your client is guilty therefore case closed."  

Because there’s a legality to running for President and being perceived as leaning a certain way?  Derp 

4 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Because there’s a legality to running for President and being perceived as leaning a certain way?  Derp 

As far as any can tell (at least none have provided evidence) his party has moved further left, he has not changed.