RBY - is this real?

5 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

I guess I don't get the purpose for these high level guys.  I suppose if you want to win a state title as a 19 yo, I can see the advantage but does it really matter once guys are 20 year olds or to guys who are competing in age level national tournaments?

I think Bo Basset delayed his HS after he won a Cadet World Gold. Now he is competing in college opens and at the Last Chance qualifier.    Dude was going get recruiting to D1 regardless so I don't understand why he delayed entering HS.  Maybe he will reclassify?

For the record, I don't care if someone repeats 8th grade, I just don't see the advantage, but I am sure I am missing something.

Fwiw

Relative Age Effect: Beyond the Youth Phenomenon - PMC
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7692010/

Yeah, it's extremely common but I guess the parents want their kid to have the best chance of 4 state titles and thus a better chance of being recruited. Plus, the other high level kids are doing it, so if they don't they probably feel behind. Not to mention that the highest level guys often have parents that are absolutely insane, and there ya go. Lame but that's life. 

1 minute ago, Caveira said:

I would be ashamed if I didn’t go to school for a year to get bigger for sports.  Someone earlier said.  I don’t see the advantage he gains from doing this.   He literally sat out a year to get bigger lol.   

Maybe this guy should have been involved 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truant officer

I mean I'm sure RBY is crying himself to sleep every night due to the shame...

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Even if true, what relevance does it have to anything now?

Exactly - perhaps it has something to do with RBYs participation in Mexico? Anyone else see some of the vile comments made about this young man’s decision to do so? This is why someone like me doesn’t fit in. I find it totally UNACCEPTABLE the way we ( as a sport ) broadcast negativity about our wrestlers. It sucks and whether or not some realize this, we are hurting people and their families each time this crap is posted. 

Sorry RBY. You keep being you. The major majority still thanks you for entertaining us with your incredible mat skills and confidence.  You are and will continue to be an inspiration to the sport. Keep up the great work young man, where ever you choose to wrestle!

Edited by Rassling
  • Bob 2

2 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Exactly - perhaps it has something to do with RBYs participation in Mexico? Anyone else see some of the vile comments made about this young man’s decision to do so? This is why someone like me doesn’t fit in. I find it totally UNACCEPTABLE the way we ( as a sport ) broadcast negativity about our wrestlers. It sucks and whether or not some realize this, we are hurting people and their families each time this crap is posted. 

Sorry RBY. You keep being you. The major majority still thanks you for entertaining us with your incredible mat skills and confidence.  You are and will continue to be an inspiration to the sport. Keep up the great work young man, where ever you choose to wrestle!

He's the one who shared it with Flo so get a grip my dude. 

I'd honestly prefer these amazing wrestlers just wrestle the grade they were supposed to rather than doing illegal tricks to literally get your child an advantage over other children. The parents are prioritizing wrestling success over an education, social life, etc. But you'll always have shitty parents so doubtful that happens. 

• Bob 1

59 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Did they dig into the past or did he say words for them on a video?

that seems like criminal behavior on the parents though.  To small for 106.  Wow.  

For the record I didn’t see the vid before posting the link.   I thought it was click bait nonsense especially that very poorly written headline.   

I’m assuming you’re a young dude so I’ll give you a pass for ignorance and not knowing better. 

Just now, Rassling said:

I’m assuming you’re a young dude so I’ll give you a pass for ignorance and not knowing better. 

You're really working on making a name for yourself around here...:classic_cool:

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I'd honestly prefer these amazing wrestlers just wrestle the grade they were supposed to rather than doing illegal tricks to literally get your child an advantage over other children. The parents are prioritizing wrestling success over an education, social life, etc. But you'll always have shitty parents so doubtful that happens. 

I’m sorry you just don’t see what’s wrong here “my dude “ Have a good afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

What was illegal?  Are you saying me not putting my child in kindergarten when he was 5 and waited until he was 6 is illegal?  You know what is best for every kid and know better than their parents??  Dude...YOU get a grip

• Fire 1

Just now, Rassling said:

I’m sorry you just don’t see what’s wrong here “my dude “ Have a good afternoon. 

This poor going man is being absolutely shredded on social media, my Lord, the humanity! This is what's wrong with wrestling culture! I hope RBY can sleep tonight with all the vitriol directed his way. 

Just now, MPhillips said:

You're really working on making a name for yourself around here...:classic_cool:

You think I care - we’re all hard wired differently. The site allows for different opinions. Fire me again if my participation does not gel with yours.

Just now, Rassling said:

The site allows for different opinions. Fire me again if my participation does not gel with yours.

8 minutes ago, Rassling said:

I’ll give you a pass for ignorance and not knowing better. 

🤔

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

What was illegal?  Are you saying me not putting my child in kindergarten when he was 5 and waited until he was 6 is illegal?  You know what is best for every kid and know better than their parents??  Dude...YOU get a grip

RBY is from Tucson, AZ, where it is required by law that children between the ages of 6 and 16 attend school or a homeschool equivalent. He was pulled out of school in 8th grade to play video games and go to wrestling practice for an entire year. If you believe playing video games until 5am every night is the equivalent of an education, then you're an imbecile. 

I really don't think age is much of a factor once you turn 20-21 you should be pretty much physically matured at that point. there is of course the extra years of repetition but in most cases these 6 and 7 year guys seem to fall off from their peaks in maybe their third of fourth year. Obviously being 16 as a freshman in high school and 19 when you graduate is a big advantage. I would have loved to graduate 2 years later than I did because I grew another 4 inches and 35lbs in college.

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

🤔

If being ignorant means standing by those unfairly treated by those who should know better then I’m proud to be among the ignorant in your book of ignorance. 

Just now, Truzzcat said:

I really don't think age is much of a factor once you turn 20-21 you should be pretty much physically matured at that point. there is of course the extra years of repetition but in most cases these 6 and 7 year guys seem to fall off from their peaks in maybe their third of fourth year. Obviously being 16 as a freshman in high school and 19 when you graduate is a big advantage. I would have loved to graduate 2 years later than I did because I grew another 4 inches and 35lbs in college.

Agreed and agreed. Seems the main advantage is getting a college scholarship. 

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

RBY is from Tucson, AZ, where it is required by law that children between the ages of 6 and 16 attend school or a homeschool equivalent. He was pulled out of school in 8th grade to play video games and go to wrestling practice for an entire year. If you believe playing video games until 5am every night is the equivalent of an education, then you're an imbecile. 

So who was "hurt" by this "illegal" activity??  Did it harm RBY as a child?  Did it teach him to not work hard and achieve his goals?  Did he not get an education?  Just truly trying to see how you feel this is such a grievous act.

Middle school greyshirt is wild, but RBY is open about it. But I was under the impression that his guardian held him back because he was a scrawny kid from South Tucson with not great social skills and prone to getting beaten up, and his mom was away in rehab. Idk if the year off was just to game high school wrestling. 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Is it really that common for holdbacks to not do any schooling though?

Every state and school district has different rules. Some may let the parent tell them they want the kid held back, but with state and national "no child left behind" stuff it is very difficult to do. Thus, they will just pull them out and "homeschool" the kids for the year, then re-enroll as a 9th grader the next year. Pretty much every one of these kids are academically ready to advance to 9th grade and at this time schools are hard pressed to hold them back.