Keckheisen is going to win the Hodge and here's why

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

There are 5 nominees and 4 are from Penn State (Haines, Kerk, Brooks and Starocci).  The Penn State vote is obviously going to get split and it could be significant.  Therefore Keckheisen is likely to win the Hodge this year.

https://www.win-magazine.com/2024/03/26/fanvote-2/

I think you have to give it to Brooks. Keck was almost as dominant through the season and was probably even more dominant than Brooks at NCAAs though. Keck will win it next year. I didn't realize there were voting blocks on the Hodge though, so maybe you are right. Keck would be a worthy winner, but I think Brooks should get it. 

41 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I think you have to give it to Brooks. Keck was almost as dominant through the season and was probably even more dominant than Brooks at NCAAs though. Keck will win it next year. I didn't realize there were voting blocks on the Hodge though, so maybe you are right. Keck would be a worthy winner, but I think Brooks should get it. 

Think they both had two DEC all year but Keck had all majors pluss in post season.  He had more matches so just by that give it to Keck.  

• Bob 1

184 was a very weak weight  Unlike 157 or 165..  It had no National Champions like the three in 174.   Keckheisen does NOT have the past credentials of Brooks or Starocci.  The second best guy had four losses.   Brooks dominated Keck. last year and K.  pales in comparison still.  Jimmy C. likes to play devil's advocate ... against himself.  

It is Brooks Hodge whether you like him or not.  He's earned it.  Undefeated.  Dominant. Took out another top undefeated guy.  Four timer. Next topic.

• Brain 2

27 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

184 was a very weak weight  Unlike 157 or 165..  It had no National Champions like the three in 174.   Keckheisen does NOT have the past credentials of Brooks or Starocci.  The second best guy had four losses.   Brooks dominated Keck. last year and K.  pales in comparison still.  Jimmy C. likes to play devil's advocate ... against himself.  

It is Brooks Hodge whether you like him or not.  He's earned it.  Undefeated.  Dominant. Took out another top undefeated guy.  Four timer. Next topic.

7-2 is a strong win but I wouldn't call it domination. Domination is when you lose by major or worse. 

The fan vote doesn’t decide the hodge it’s just one factor they use. Keck could win the fan vote and they are still going to give it Brooks (rightfully so). Their stats are very similar but Brooks had tougher competition and is a 4 timer. I think they should not have even included the other three Penn state wrestlers on the voting options and just made it between Brooks and Keck. But either way, I doubt the Penn state vote is going to split much, 90%+ will be voting for brooks and they have a pretty big fan base. 

• Bob 1

19 hours ago, NM1965 said:

7-2 is a strong win but I wouldn't call it domination. Domination is when you lose by major or worse. 

I think you are referring to Brooks? If so it was 6-1. 

I think it is domination if you consider that he got an undefeated wrestler with 28 wins and an 80% bonus rate to back pedal for two periods without taking a single shot, even when trailing 5-0, before getting ridden for almost the entire third period. 

He big brothered Hidlay.

• Bob 1

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think it is domination if you consider that he got an undefeated wrestler with 28 wins and an 80% bonus rate to back pedal for two periods without taking a single shot, even when trailing 5-0, before getting ridden for almost the entire third period. 

He big brothered Hidlay.

Did it look to you like that E1 was a gift to Hidlay? It certainly appeared that way to me. I don't want to call it a pity point but it looked like he could have ridden Hidlay for days.

That match was one of the best matches, technically and tactically, I've seen at the college level.  Brooks owned every second of that match. I don't think I saw Hidlay get to his underhook a single time.

Edited by Le duke
  • Bob 1

7 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Did it look to you like that E1 was a gift to Hidlay? It certainly appeared that way to me. I don't want to call it a pity point but it looked like he could have ridden Hidlay for days.

I go back and forth on that one. Maybe Brooks felt some pressure from Hidlay and thought, "why take a chance? Cut him."

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He big brothered Hidlay.

I'm referring to the Brooks/Keck match from last year. Somebody said Brooks "dominated" Keck in the finals, I stated 7-2 isn't "domination". 

• Fire 1

46 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I'm referring to the Brooks/Keck match from last year. Somebody said Brooks "dominated" Keck in the finals, I stated 7-2 isn't "domination". 

I will disagree with you on that one too. Keck never got close to a TD and only ever touched Brooks leg once or twice, gave up the riding time point, and even gave up a caution point. When is the last time you saw someone get cautioned three times in an NCAA final? That is the sign of a wrestler worried he is outmatched and so jumps the whistle.

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I will disagree with you on that one too. Keck never got close to a TD and only ever touched Brooks leg once or twice, gave up the riding time point, and even gave up a caution point. When is the last time you saw someone get cautioned three times in an NCAA final? That is the sign of a wrestler worried he is outmatched and so jumps the whistle.

Keck never "got close", true, but a match that ends 6-2 before the RT point is awarded isn't "domination".  The last time I watched a match with 3 penalty points was Zalesky/Metzger, when Zalesky was beating Metzger by 2 points then proceeded to give up 3 stalling points. 

Edited by NM1965

5 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Keck never "got close", true, but a match that ends 6-2 before the RT point is awarded isn't "domination".  The last time I watched a match with 3 penalty points was Zalesky/Metzger, when Zalesky was beating Metzger by 2 points then proceeded to give up 3 stalling points. 

I think you have to look at the context of the match not just the score. Keck wasn't close to a takedown at any point and he gave up riding time. He was handled.

6-1/7-2/or whatever win against guys who absolutely destroy the rest of the field is considered domination...and watching the matches there was never a doubt who was going to win.

Correct. Brooks beat the brakes off of Parker and Trent. It was like watching an adult wrestle a child.

If the team title or scoring record had been up for grabs, you might’ve heard Casey barking for more output from him in the third, a la Ed Ruth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, JeanGuy said:

I think you have to look at the context of the match not just the score. Keck wasn't close to a takedown at any point and he gave up riding time. He was handled.

I've watched the match. Keck "may have been handled", but he didn't give up bonus points.