Embracing the Most Infamous Spladle in NCAA History

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Brock Hardy is the Man! Kudos to this young man showing the world how to embrace a moment most would never want to rehash.

This is hilarious, Brock Hardy is tremendous for taking this in stride.  The caldwell metcalf spladle might have been at least as big as this.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This is hilarious, Brock Hardy is tremendous for taking this in stride.  The caldwell metcalf spladle might have been at least as big as this.

There have been some famous one.  To the hardcore fans like us I can see ranking Caldwell/Metcalf above Mendez/Hardy but Hardy takes the cake in this age of social medial.  It's far more famous to world.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

42 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Seriously, down 2-3 with 30 seconds left in the match, Kelly sticking Penrith with a spladle in the 1987 championship match was the ultimate.

I came here to say.  Bill kelly’s was the best.  Praise to Kcmo.  He was a bad man.   Mr bill Kelly.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Caveira said:

I came here to say.  Bill kelly’s was the best.  Praise to Kcmo.  He was a bad man.   Mr bill Kelly.  

Awesome ending. 

Both Caldwell's and this spladle ended in a pin, yet Jesse Mendez didn't get a single swipe. What the hell? Did the rules change or what?

Edited by pokemonster
  • Fire 1
  • Wrestle 1

21 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Awesome ending. 

Both Caldwell's and this spladle ended in a pin, yet Jesse Mendez didn't get a single swipe. What the hell? Did the rules change or what?

No, the caldwell pin was an objectively bad call.  That ref was just excited to be somebody that day, you can tell when you watch the video again.  There are definitely phantom pin calls.  Look at Truax Rogotzke in their dual,  Truax had a shoulder inches off the mat, the ref just wanted to be a person that day and called a pin.  

In the Kelly/Penrith one, Kelly did a better job of scooting out towards the head.  If you look when they roll over, Penrith immediately has one shoulder flush to the mat, and is almost able to pop his head out as they are going over.  This is the difference between the wrong leg in banana split cradle which mendez and caldwell hit, vs the single leg defense spladle, which is the king of spladles.  The single leg defense one starts far more square, and presents the shoulders to the mat more effectively.  

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

There have been some famous one.  To the hardcore fans like us I can see ranking Caldwell/Metcalf above Mendez/Hardy but Hardy takes the cake in this age of social medial.  It's far more famous to world.  

Darrion Caldwell tried to spladle me , I saw it coming and just gave him the cradle instead lol he spladled alot of guys in high school and I wasn’t joining that club 

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Brock Hardy is the Man! Kudos to this young man showing the world how to embrace a moment most would never want to rehash.

This is awesome , he’s going to get paid , they are going to show up to and bring attention to a Nebraska dual meet next year , just awesome to turn a negative into a positive and get some eyes on wrestling 

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Darrion Caldwell tried to spladle me , I saw it coming and just gave him the cradle instead lol he spladled alot of guys in high school and I wasn’t joining that club 

Can't tell if you're being serious but damn that's wild if true lol

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

Can't tell if you're being serious but damn that's wild if true lol

Yes serious lol he grew up like 40 minutes from me we re around the same age I can remember watching him win a state title in middle school and hit flips to celebrate 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

This is awesome , he’s going to get paid , they are going to show up to and bring attention to a Nebraska dual meet next year , just awesome to turn a negative into a positive and get some eyes on wrestling 

It’s great that he can make light of this, but how is he going to get paid? 

6 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

It’s great that he can make light of this, but how is he going to get paid? 

In the interview posted barstool yak said they are going to set him up with a NIL deal and for the next 2 years brock hardy is going to be their official wrestler 

10 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

No, the caldwell pin was an objectively bad call.  That ref was just excited to be somebody that day, you can tell when you watch the video again. 

I bet you also were screaming "there was still time on the clock" and praised Metcalf for shoving DC during the finals match..

12 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Seriously, down 2-3 with 30 seconds left in the match, Kelly sticking Penrith with a spladle in the 1987 championship match was the ultimate.

This is the one I remember so well, as the guy sitting next to me in the stands kept yelling "spladle, splade", and I thought he was crazy....this went on for a little while until finally Kelly hit the spladle.  At that point I asked "how did you know that?"  He said, we have been working on that at practice for some time.  The guy and I became good friends....I'm leaving him nameless on purpose!  He too was a great wrestler....all-american/World Cup team, etc.  I will never forget it.

• Bob 1

Good for Hardy for being a good sport, but sometimes I just don’t understand why wrestling is its own worst enemy. I mean this is like the biggest viral picture from the NCAA championships? Come on! This is what the non wrestlers see and think that’s why they never want to wrestle or want their kid to wrestle. How about promoting all the awesome stories more than posting the most embarrassing picture you can find!

Hardy's third place finish continues to be overshadowed by the last minute of his quarter-final match with Mendez.  The spladle is now even a topic on the Pat McAfee show as part of a segment with DC.

The Most Embarrassing Move In Wrestling Happened In The NCAA Championship... | Pat McAfee Reacts

Hopefully Hardy will get as much credit for his overall performance in the tournament and the good-natured way he's handling the spladle attention, as all the razzing that has (and will) undoubtedly come his way.

1 hour ago, BarSeries said:

Hardy was 0-5 against Woods. I'm sure he is feeling pretty good and taking this all in stride!!

yet, I hear Vegas is still reeling that he was unable to cover the spread...

Clips of the spladle went viral on social media, mostly ppl laughing or wondering wtf was happening. I guess that's one way to #GrowTheSport among casual fans 😂 Respect to Hardy for being a good sport about it. I hope he and his asscheeks get an NIL deal out of this

2 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Hardy's third place finish continues to be overshadowed by the last minute of his quarter-final match with Mendez.  The spladle is now even a topic on the Pat McAfee show as part of a segment with DC.

The Most Embarrassing Move In Wrestling Happened In The NCAA Championship... | Pat McAfee Reacts

Hopefully Hardy will get as much credit for his overall performance in the tournament and the good-natured way he's handling the spladle attention, as all the razzing that has (and will) undoubtedly come his way.

I watched this video yesterday only about a minute or less is spent on the spladle .  It was a good interview with DC about the tourney.  McAfee was sold on wrestling.