Bono NEEDS to go

I posted this topic about a month and a half ago and a lot of people made comments about how he is doing fine, but let's take a look now. 1 AA out of 5 qualifiers. 4 of the 5 qualifiers will not be on the team next year. 3 seniors and Hamiti transfer. This program is a sinking ship. The AD has a chance to fix a mistake that was made 5 years ago fire Bono and hire Ben Askren. He publicly commented about wanting the job back then so he might still be interested now.

11 minutes ago, Disappointed_Badger_Fan said:

a lot of people made comments about how he is doing fine

I doubt that. He's more reviled here than any coach in DI, including Brands.  How many is, "a lot?"

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I doubt that. He's more reviled here than any coach in DI, including Brands.  How many is, "a lot?"

there were numerous people commenting about how Bono is meeting what realistic expectations sould be at WI. A lot said they should be in a tier below PSU, Iowa, OSU, Nebraska, Michigan, and Minnesota which is where they are so he is about where he should be. My point is that the program is not growing and we should be striving to move up to the next tier of Big 10 teams and Bono is not the guy to do it.

8 minutes ago, Disappointed_Badger_Fan said:

My point is that the program is not growing and we should be striving to move up to the next tier of Big 10 teams and Bono is not the guy to do it.

I believe most if not all agree with that.

• Bob 1

36 minutes ago, OMW said:

Why isn't Pritzlaff in the Wisci conversation?

New AD, new opportunity.

About 10 years ago or so he was the head coach in waiting when Davis was going to retire. I think Davis decided to stay longer and Prizlaff was pretty upset and interviewed with Michigan. That was not looked on too well by the athletic department. I imagine that still remains true today.

Edited by BuckyBadger
  • Bob 1

15 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

Split up the Brands brothers. Send Terry there.

I know this was a joke but it would be good for wrestling. The Brands' are great coaches, would add a lot to any program, but they feel dated, and I always thought it was goofy to have two on one staff, a diversity of voices (which is an advantage I think PSU has that people don't talk about) would help Iowa a lot.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Max Askren 

It's not gonna be Ben, Max, Messenbrink.

1-There are too many compliance issues. Max would be great...you get Ben, but he's not the face so when he says something they don't like, not their problem...BUT even without the compliance issues; 

2-They're all owners in AWA and they're doing pretty well financially. Would you take a pay cut to be a full-time HC with all the stress when you're running a club and making probably at worst as much as you'd be offered?

Max Askren would be great...but it won't happen. What also seems INCREDIBLY unlikely;

4 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I bet they hire David Taylor. 

Is this. Taylor, Dake, Snyder, Burroughs...Taylor seems to be loving life. Winning rings and farming things a mile away from Kyle Dake.

Dake is also still Wrestling(though he for some reason feels more likely...but that's just because I think he's a little off...in a good way and may want that challenge).

Snyder and JB...just feels like if they're going to become HCs, JB is the closest, but Manning is also the closest to retiring among the coaches of the upper tier programs and Snyder...IDK, just don't think he'd come.

Messenbrink would be a HR if this was a sport where they jumped through hoops in order to make the job a fit. 
Again, Max would be another.

Just getting rid of Bono and sticking with Reader would be fine. Trevor Brandvold would be a great hire. I'm skeptical about these big name coaches wanting the job, but who knows? 

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Accept he absolutely sucks and can't recruit anyone in the state after burning the Askren bridge

how did he burn the askren bridge?

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

how did he burn the askren bridge?

I was being obtuse on purpose lol but apparently Askren didn't see eye to eye with the admin/coaches at Wisconsin when he was the RTC coach and, right or wrong, Ben is holding a grudge. Bono is paying royally for it as it seems no AWA kid will ever end up there while he's at the helm. 

7 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I was being obtuse on purpose lol but apparently Askren didn't see eye to eye with the admin/coaches at Wisconsin when he was the RTC coach and, right or wrong, Ben is holding a grudge. Bono is paying royally for it as it seems no AWA kid will ever end up there while he's at the helm. 

Exactly. And this is huge. I saw a post that AWA kids scored like 70 points at NCAAs which would have put them in 4th place, just ahead of Iowa. So it doesn’t even matter if its Ben or Bono in the wrong, the number one priority of Wisconsin HAS to be keeping the AWA kids in state. Then you could have a similar opportunity as Penn state (just not quite to that level because PA is the best 😜)

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, scourge165 said:

2-They're all owners in AWA and they're doing pretty well financially. Would you take a pay cut to be a full-time HC with all the stress when you're running a club and making probably at worst as much as you'd be offered?

Max Askren would be great...but it won't happen. What also seems INCREDIBLY unlikely;

Why would Max have to divest of any ownership in AWA?  Couldn't he remain as an owner but not be involved in coaching at AWA and thus not take a paycut? I am probably naive on the compliance issues but some coaches do own other business, AWA would be another business. 

Edited by Dogbone

11 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Why would Max have to divest of any ownership in AWA?  Couldn't he remain as an owner but not be involved in coaching at AWA and thus not take a paycut? I am probably naive on the compliance issues but some coaches do own other business, AWA would be another business. 

I think he'd run into NCAA compliance issues. He'd still have an ownership stake in a club that has relationships with kids long before you can contact them...but I'm not sure exactly why.

13 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I know this was a joke but it would be good for wrestling. The Brands' are great coaches, would add a lot to any program, but they feel dated, and I always thought it was goofy to have two on one staff, a diversity of voices (which is an advantage I think PSU has that people don't talk about) would help Iowa a lot.

How many Sandersons at PSU?

18 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

How many Sandersons at PSU?

two, not identical twins, one was an 118 and the other 197, somewhere around a five year age difference. Other coaches wrestled for Illinois, and central michigan.

Compare that to Iowa, you have two people with identical DNA at the Top, then two guys who wrestled for Iowa under the same two guys. See the difference? Which group is more likely to have brought in cronies and which seems like that were looking for the right people?

3 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

two, not identical twins, one was an 118 and the other 197, somewhere around a five year age difference. Other coaches wrestled for Illinois, and central michigan.

Compare that to Iowa, you have two people with identical DNA at the Top, then two guys who wrestled for Iowa under the same two guys. See the difference? Which group is more likely to have brought in cronies and which seems like that were looking for the right people?

So we should discriminate against twins?  I don't get it.  If you don't like them or don't think they are good, that is fine... "but no twins."  Brother are ok; just not twins.

Weird.