2024-2025 Lineups

VAtoSC

12 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Bartlett is officially coming back.

I heard this too - not ncessarily impactul in the same way Kerk official return would be.  Kasak could get to 141 or Davis and Nagoa slide up?  BB return just gives more redshirt flexibility and PSU is one team that may not really benefit much from that in view of recruiting has been on fire (except for Hwt). 

I Mirasola the larger really big enough and good enough to be a top tem Hwt?   

43 minutes ago, Le duke said:

It's kind of a running joke; DT and Cael refer to Casey as the strongest man in the world. Casey's wife/Asher's mom, Tara, was literally the strongest women in the world. 

That said, Asher appears to have inherited quite a bit of his parent's good genetic material and he is incredibly strong. 

He's also the number two 165 in his graduating class, per Flo, so he's rapidly moving up the ranks. 

Okay, that makes sense. Cunningham is quickly rising. Will be interesting to see if he rises to the level of some of the other recruits that they are bring in like Sealy, Ryder, Mirasola, etc. 

Bartlett back is big for them in terms of allowing some flexibility. I think you see Davis redshirt and bump to 133 the following year. Also think you see Kasak redshirt and drop to 141 the following year.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:32 PM, wjd said:

Pretty sure McLane's done. They introduced him at senior night. Do you think Vasquez is going somewhere? He'll be back at 141. No way Parco is gonna drop a weight after being an AA 4 years at 149. Not so sure Larkin can beat anyone out in the 149 class. Freestyle success doesn't always mean folkstyle success. In addition to Parco, rumor has it he's  had trouble beating Ramos, you also have Ysaquirre. Valencia didn't fare to well this year when he tried to jump to 184. Lost the wrestle off to Negron who jumped over him from 165 to 184 and had a solid year. I think he stays right where he's at, 174.  

All very good points.  My money would be on Ysaguirre starting at 141 lbs next season for ASU.

On 4/9/2024 at 1:41 AM, MPhillips said:

McCrone gave a good account of himself this season. I believe It's Kilkeary's spot to lose. Worried about Bouzakis' weight cut. Same with Mendez. I imagine he'll head up to 65kg after D'Emilio leaves. Gallagher at 157. Hepner at 165, but he needs some work. Not sure if we see Kharchla? I've heard things that make me question if he'll be back. Welsh, Rogotzke, Geog and Feldman. I believe if Shumate wants to wrestle he may have to transfer. I don't believe we see Sasso again.

🚍

Mendez looked healthy this year unlike last year when he looked sucked down at 33. Yes, Hepner needs work, he seems to have an andonian style but gets caught often. I understand about Sasso but would be nice to see him.

On 3/25/2024 at 1:58 PM, killdozer said:

Missouri

125- Noah Surtin, Senior (unlike this year they will have kids that can spell him from time to time so he is not as beat up come nationals)
133- Kade Moore, Sophomore (with a possibility of True Freshman Gage Walker or Jake Crapps possibly pushing him for the spot)
141- Josh Edmond, Junior
149- Logan Gioffre, Sr., / Nathan Pulliam, Jr., /Zeke Seltzer, So. - I can see Seltzer being the starter here after gettin a summer of putting on some good weight.
157- J. Conway, So.,/Cameron Steed, So., /Logan Gioffre, Sr.,  - This would be Steed's but I heard he now weighs in the 180s. Gioffre wrestled 157 last year so it wouldn't surprise me. 
165 - Cameron Steed, So.or Keegan O'Toole Sr., - I think it is going to be Steed.
174- O'Toole Sr.,  (or possibly Whiting if Keegan goes back to 165 or even Steed)
184- Hawks, Jr. /Whiting, So.  - It will be a battle again. 
197- Rocky Elam, Sr. - With Sinclair redshirting. I don't think Rocky has the frame to carry the weight like his brother. Plus it took Zach 2+ years to become a good sized 285 weight wise. Don't think they can do it 6 months. 
285- Seth Nitzel, Jr.  or Portal. Heard that Boersma was hurt this year and maybe done (which sucks). Just keeping it warm until Stillwell gets here. 

125 Surtin
133 Moore/Roller
141 Edmonds
149 Hilton/Seltzer
157 Steed
165 Otoole
174 Whiting
184 Hawks
197 Sinclair
HWY Elam 

9 hours ago, Seanyd said:

125 Surtin
133 Moore/Roller
141 Edmonds
149 Hilton/Seltzer
157 Steed
165 Otoole
174 Whiting
184 Hawks
197 Sinclair
HWY Elam 

O'Toole is going 174 per his long-time coach and mentor Ben Askren.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 4/9/2024 at 11:00 AM, Elevator said:

I heard this too - not ncessarily impactul in the same way Kerk official return would be.  Kasak could get to 141 or Davis and Nagoa slide up?  BB return just gives more redshirt flexibility and PSU is one team that may not really benefit much from that in view of recruiting has been on fire (except for Hwt). 

I Mirasola the larger really big enough and good enough to be a top tem Hwt?   

The bigger Mirasola is bigger than Anthony Cassar ever was in h.s. so I would say yes. 

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

O'Toole is going 174 per his long-time coach and mentor Ben Askren.

I heard that too, but this is the lineup I hope we see. I don’t like any other option at 165.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:41 PM, poorwrestler said:

When was the last time, outside of gable, that a true freshman heavyweight was a significant point scorer at NCAA’s year one? Honest question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume Parris making the R12 was not considered “significant points”?

On 4/11/2024 at 10:18 PM, Seanyd said:

125 Surtin
133 Moore/Roller
141 Edmonds
149 Hilton/Seltzer
157 Steed
165 Otoole
174 Whiting
184 Hawks
197 Sinclair
HWY Elam 

I’d be interested in what Whiting was weighing in at this year. He looked like a full sized 184. Is 174 possible for him? I think KOT goes 174, and one of Hawks/Whiting sit. Harmon saw the light, he wrestled some at 174, so if KOT wasn’t moving up, and Harmon wasn’t beating Whiting or Hawks I see why he hit the portal. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:28 PM, Seanyd said:

I heard that too, but this is the lineup I hope we see. I don’t like any other option at 165.

You don't like any other option here?

Cameron Steed is 24-7 in his two years and has beaten people like AA Hunter Garvin (by Major), National Qualifiers Cael Carlson, Will Formato, Legend Lamer, Nathan Lukez. His only loses are to Michael Caliendo, Izzak Oljenik, and Brock Mauller all by Dec. 

Now that being said. He seems to be a bit injury prone. 3 of his loses are injury default (to Wyatt Sheets, Logan Gioffre, and Vince Zerban). He seems to get injured in placing matches of tournaments (That is not even counting getting injured at U20 nationals last year). He was beating Zerban this year when he broke his hand. 

Edited by killdozer

2 hours ago, killdozer said:

You don't like any other option here?

Cameron Steed is 24-7 in his two years and has beaten people like AA Hunter Garvin (by Major), National Qualifiers Cael Carlson, Will Formato, Legend Lamer, Nathan Lukez. His only loses are to Michael Caliendo, Izzak Oljenik, and Brock Mauller all by Dec. 

Now that being said. He seems to be a bit injury prone. 3 of his loses are injury default (to Wyatt Sheets, Logan Gioffre, and Vince Zerban). He seems to get injured in placing matches of tournaments (That is not even counting getting injured at U20 nationals last year). He was beating Zerban this year when he broke his hand. 

Cutting major weight (@H82Lose is a family friend and has confirmed Steed is in the 180s) to get to 157 won't help the injury prone thing that's for sure. In fact it'll probably heighten it.

5 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

Cutting major weight (@H82Lose is a family friend and has confirmed Steed is in the 180s) to get to 157 won't help the injury prone thing that's for sure. In fact it'll probably heighten it.

I heard the same from the family as well. He was over 185 at big 12s. He’s supposed to be going 74kg for U20 this month. 

5 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

I agree he is not a small 165 lbs. 
I also don't think Roller is going to go 133. They recruited him as a 149/157 lbs. I know he wrestled 138 lbs. this season. But I see him growing. 
I personally think the lineup will look like this (with no Portal help)

2024/2025
125- Surtin
133- Moore
141- Edmond
149- Seltzer/Pulliam/Gioffre
157- Conway/Gioffre
165- Steed
174- O'Toole
184- Hawks/Whiting
197-Elam
285-Nitzel

2025/2026
125-Mauger/Walker
133-Moore/Crapps/Mendoza
141- Edmond
149- Seltzer/Roller/McCallister
157-Rath
165-Conway
174-Steed
184-Whiting (Hawks could be here. But it will be his 6th year)
197- Sinclair
285-Nitzel/Stillwell

Posted (edited)

With the recent portal activity, Virginia Tech should look like the following now:

125-Eddie Ventresca (Rumors are he is getting close to being 100% healthy again and should be good to go by October which is great news and they need him back to the March 2022 form when he was an All-American with Cooper Flynn hitting the portal)

133-Connor McMonagle (Big time transfer from Lehigh who should contend for AA status)

141-Sam Latona (Moves up a weight again and will be still be tall and long for 141)

149-Caleb Henson (Returning NATIONAL CHAMPION)

157-Rafael Hipolito (Bright future for this kid)

165- ? (I have no idea honestly. I have heard rumblings they are looking to the portal after Connor Brady and Clayton Ulrey elected to enter the portal. Maybe Hipolito goes 165 and Mac Church goes 157?, but I had heard Rafe is a very natural 157. Maybe Luke Robie goes on a big weight gain up from 149/157 where he was this year? Big question mark right now) 

174-Lennox Wolak (All American transfer from Columbia)

184-TJ Stewart (Returning All American. There were some rumblings about him entering the portal but he has confirmed he is ALL HOKIE)

197-Sonny Sasso (Andy Smith had a very good NCAA tournament losing in the blood round and is back his last year, but Sasso is so athletic for a 197, and he had a super impressive redshirt season. This was the first time in his career he focused soley on wrestling and he improved a ton so look for continued growth from him)

285-Jimmy Mullen (Very similar situation as 197 with Hunter Catka returning for his last year after a good showing at NCAAs by making the blood round. Mullen though has stopped playing football for VT and is entirely focused on wrestling now. Very good redshirt year and I think he has a big year in 2025)

Very deep lineup with 5 previous All Americans in Stewart, Wolak, Ventresca, Latona, and Henson. McMonagle certainly has the ability to AA if he is healthy. Sasso and Mullen are both super athletic for their weights. Big question mark at 165, but this team if healthy could challenge for a team trophy. 

Edited by VAtoSC
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1