Biggest individual flameouts of the tournament?

You might be thinking #1 Braeden Davis going 2-2, but he lost to the eventual champ in Richie Figs and AA placer Volk.  125 was also such a crazy weight that being the number 1 seed meant very little in terms of predicative power.

Instead, might it be #2 Bastida who also went 2-2? Bastida had knocked off all the top heavies and was coming for Kerk's head.  Yet he failed to make the podium.

Yeah, I would agree Bastida. I was rooting for him to stir things up as well. He flamed out once he lost to Davison. 

The finger sucks for sure, but I don't see that as a reason to go from potential champ to not even placing. Snap it in place and tape it up. 

Dang. 165!
Two top-5s with 2-2?!?!?!

Hamiti lost to Carr and Olejnik to not place. It’s shocking on the surface, but in reality 165 had about 12 guys that seemed like sure-fire AA’s. No shame in losing to Carr or Olejnik at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1

I do not love this thread - between injuries (known and unknown) and poor draws/style matchups, there will be guys who do not place.  Its unlucky is all.   Shake it off and move forward.  All of the guys listed are outstanding competitors and warriors.  I give them full credit for the effort.

Edited by Elevator

33 minutes ago, Elevator said:

I do not love this thread - between injuries (known and unknown) and poor draws/style matchups, there will be guys who do not place.  Its unlucky is all.   Shake it off and move forward.  All of the guys listed are outstanding competitors and warriors.  I give them full credit for the effort.

Agreed. But David Carr's booger placed higher than these guys. That's the second hardest pill to swallow besides Brock Hardy's.

39 minutes ago, Elevator said:

This is absolutely true and I like that your pointing this out.

I had a finger just like that. I just taped it to the one next to it. This is a bad look blaming a broken finger for those Ls.  

In contrast, Carter Starocci won NCAAs with a broken hand one year and likely a torn LCL this year. Yianni won NCAAs on a torn ACL. Spencer Lee, need I say more. Dozens of other examples.

A broken ring finger is a pretty poor excuse in comparison for a guy people were saying should be the #1 seed, who went out in the blood round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MidwestMan said:

Boy, I can't wait!  How will Braxton Amos fit in that plan?

Saw some pretty reputable gents talk about how Amos was going to do whatever he could to get out of Wiscy for next year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me