Coach of the Year winner

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Congrats to the guy who really deserved it.  Coach Neil Erisman of Little Rock!

I totally agree.  Has done a great job building this program from scratch.  Living in Missouri, I just kept wondering when the high schools down there would start wrestling.  Was excited when UALR announced they were starting D1 wrestling.  They actually recruit the KC area pretty well.

• Bob 2

One Coach just had two 4xers and set the National point record, as well as the margin of victory record. Oh, and he did it all in one year. No reason he should win it this year though. 

IMO they need to rename all “coach of the year” awards to something like “coach who overachieved” or “coach who had the nicest story” award. 

The award rarely goes to the best coach. This year obviously reinforces that. 

Same reason Belichick didn’t win COTY for like 10 straight years despite winning 3 titles. 

Penn State just set the NCAA record for total points and margin, his team won the B1G tournament and dual title.

I get why Erisman won the NWCA award, but Cael is the Coach of the Year. 

PSU just made history...but their coach isn't the best one this year? It's silly. 

3 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

IMO they need to rename all “coach of the year” awards to something like “coach who overachieved” or “coach who had the nicest story” award. 

The award rarely goes to the best coach. This year obviously reinforces that. 

Same reason Belichick didn’t win COTY for like 10 straight years despite winning 3 titles. 

Well yeah, it’s not called best coach award. It would be pretty boring if they just gave the award to the coach of the team that won nationals every year. Cael is obviously the best coach so he doesn’t need the extra recognition. Although this year, I would’ve been fine with seeing him get it. 100 point differential is crazy. But the award is meant to be who stood out this year as opposed to what was expected. Little Rock getting their first two AAs definitely fits the bill

• Potato 1

5 hours ago, Lleynor said:

One Coach just had two 4xers and set the National point record, as well as the margin of victory record. Oh, and he did it all in one year. No reason he should win it this year though. 

Lots of reasons he should win it... just not as many as someone else. I know you guys have been spoiled since you started following in 2011, but it's okay for someone else to be deserving sometimes. You are going to be okay. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

19 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Lots of reasons he should win it... just not as many as someone else. I know you guys have been spoiled since you started following in 2011, but it's okay for someone else to be deserving sometimes. You are going to be okay. 

You are 100% right! It is okay for someone else to get it, when deserved however. 

PSU found a way to overachieve also in the NCAAs. 60% in the finals, an undersized True Freshman winning 7 straight in the consolation to take 3rd while beating 4 top 10s, and obviously the other accolades. 

I get it. PSU is a team of Iron. But let's not take for granted how well Sanderson, Cunningham, and staff sharpens it to its fullest. 

3 hours ago, swoopdown said:

Who actually makes the selection?  Is there a list of voters?  Nominees?  Who voted for whom and results?  

Its not Jimmy?  🤷‍♀️

Transparency would be epic - imagine the forum animosity and angst that would be generated!  I'm sure Cael gets Manning's vote every year!  Secret ballots are no fun!  Which coaches vote for themselves? 😈

Cael deserves coach of the year, easily. Are you guys nuts mentioning a coach who got 2 low AAs? COY always goes to the guy with the best team, and PSU smoked the field at NCAA this year. 

7 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Cael deserves coach of the year, easily. Are you guys nuts mentioning a coach who got 2 low AAs? COY always goes to the guy with the best team, and PSU smoked the field at NCAA this year. 

I think theres some rule where youre not eligible to win it again after a certain number of years...