Will Ohio State Be Too Dog Next Year?

Seems like they have a shot at knocking off PSU.  Particularly if Kerk and Starroci move on.  Buckeyes could have 3 or 4 champs next year!  

of course the portal can change the equation but seems like this is the battle next year

I'm asking for everybody on the board's cooperation in NOT POSTING the pit bull in the x-ray meme. It was funny the first 10 times. It was thoughtful the next 10 times. Now, it just pisses me off. Remember when people used to say, "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it," but they kept saying it for a mind-numbing year? Same thing. 

Sure, the PSU era comes to an end next year, but it will be the ILLINI wearing the crown. 

Four returning All Americans, plus four returning NCAA qualifiers, plus Kannon Webster, Braeden Scoles and Seth Mendoza when he flips from Missouri to the ILLINI. (The latter is a rumor that just started when you read it here). 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

Rumor has it that Smith is stepping down at Mizzou and Askren is taking over as HC.  But, you know how rumors go!  As easy to start as a grass fire during a drought.

Edited by MidwestMan

52 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I'm asking for everybody on the board's cooperation in NOT POSTING the pit bull in the x-ray meme. It was funny the first 10 times. It was thoughtful the next 10 times. Now, it just pisses me off. Remember when people used to say, "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it," but they kept saying it for a mind-numbing year? Same thing. 

Sure, the PSU era comes to an end next year, but it will be the ILLINI wearing the crown. 

Four returning All Americans, plus four returning NCAA qualifiers, plus Kannon Webster, Braeden Scoles and Seth Mendoza when he flips from Missouri to the ILLINI. (The latter is a rumor that just started when you read it here). 

• Fire 1

Rumor has it that Smith is stepping down at Mizzou and Askren is taking over as HC.  But, you know how rumors go!  As easy to start as a grass fire during a drought.

I heard Smith is stepping down and Maple is getting the job. The reason he didn’t take the OU job was because of this. Just what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

No one’s knocking off PSU for awhile

You seem a little overconfident. Don't count your chickens before your eggs hatch. 2026 in Cleveland ,would you like to make a small wager.

6 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I heard Smith is stepping down and Maple is getting the job. The reason he didn’t take the OU job was because of this. Just what I heard.

This was just my "tongue in check" reply to Illini about his comment about Seth Mendoza rumor of flipping to Illinois from Mizzou.  Hell, at this point, nothing surprises me! 

• Wrestle 1

3 minutes ago, Elevator said:

What is the word w Nebraska and a succession plan?  Many schools find room for wrestling coaches who have served in the athletic administration.  

Are you talking about the ad?

This was just my "tongue in check" reply to Illini about his comment about Seth Mendoza rumor of flipping to Illinois from Mizzou.  Hell, at this point, nothing surprises me! 

Oh dammit I hate when I do that lol

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

Seems like they have a shot at knocking off PSU.  Particularly if Kerk and Starroci move on.  Buckeyes could have 3 or 4 champs next year!  

of course the portal can change the equation but seems like this is the battle next year

I wonder how Penn State would do next year without their 6th year seniors. They would win but it would be a lot more interesting. 

Looking from the outside, Mendez seems to have a certain swagger and confidence. I wonder if that’ll set the tone for Ohio State for the next few years. They have some impressive young athletes who should only get better. 

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I wonder how Penn State would do next year without their 6th year seniors. They would win but it would be a lot more 

Next year the potential "downgrades" would be 174, 197, and 285.

Kasak at 141 and SVN at 149 would benjust as strong if not stronger than this year. 

17 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I wonder how Penn State would do next year without their 6th year seniors. They would win but it would be a lot more interesting. 

36 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

You seem a little overconfident. Don't count your chickens before your eggs hatch. 2026 in Cleveland ,would you like to make a small wager.

Why would 2026 be any better than next year without their 6th year seniors?

They scored 69.5 with just Haines (26), Mesenbrink (19.5), Kasak (19), Nagao (3), and Davis (2), all of whom should still be on the team in 2026, plus Van Ness coming back and all of their top recruits.

I’m not a PSU fan, just a realist

Next year the potential "downgrades" would be 174, 197, and 285.
Kasak at 141 and SVN at 149 would benjust as strong if not stronger than this year. 

Penn State will have top 1/2 guys at 141, 149, 157, 165. I’d bet Kerk returns. Not sure about BB.

At 125, they sent out a true freshman who lost in the R12 in OT, after losing 3-2 to the eventual champion. 133, an AA who didn’t look right all year, R12. Could see Lilledahl (2x World silver/1x gold) go at 125 while Davis RS. That kid is amazing.

At 174, 184 and 197: Zack Ryder (2x World medalist), Facundo (2x World medalist), Barr and an absolute killer in Connor Mirasola. I think Cael redshirts Mirasola, though, and he’s a legit 4x contender after a full year of PSU/NLWC work.

• Bob 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

They seem to be the top threat.  Michigan loses half of their team (all grad transfers: Deaug, Cannon, Gomez, Griffith, Davison)

Could Cannon get an injury waiver for this season.  I assume whatever graduate program he is taking at Michigan is at least 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Penn State will have top 1/2 guys at 141, 149, 157, 165. I’d bet Kerk returns. Not sure about BB.

At 125, they sent out a true freshman who lost in the R12 in OT, after losing 3-2 to the eventual champion. 133, an AA who didn’t look right all year, R12. Could see Lilledahl (2x World silver/1x gold) go at 125 while Davis RS. That kid is amazing.

At 174, 184 and 197: Zack Ryder (2x World medalist), Facundo (2x World medalist), Barr and an absolute killer in Connor Mirasola. I think Cael redshirts Mirasola, though, and he’s a legit 4x contender after a full year of PSU/NLWC work.

Yes, i could see next year's team being even better than this year especially if they can convince Carter to return for a 5th.

1 minute ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Yes, i could see next year's team being even better than this year especially if they can convince Carter to return for a 5th.

he's gonna come back. All that talk was just him being an attention whore.

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

36 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

So without Starocci and Kerkvliet.  You might find out with regards to Starocci.  Kerkvliet likely returns, but even without them they start the year with 4 top 2 wrestlers (Bartlett, Kasak/Van Ness, Haines, Mesenbrink), Davis and Nagao.  A little more interesting but not that much more.

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

he's gonna come back. All that talk was just him being an attention whore.

I thought that at first until I heard him talk about how Cael etc would have done it if they had the chance and he really didn’t seem to care about that.  I don’t think he’s back, unless maybe he hits the portal

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

They seem to be the top threat.  Michigan loses half of their team (all grad transfers: Deaug, Cannon, Gomez, Griffith, Davison)

Cannon back and I’m sure they’ll be all over the portal like usual , they have to be because they really don’t develop a lot of talent ,they had one non transfer AA and he is a senior , Lewan and Amine the 3-1 OT brothers looked worse then ever and seemed to regress , Bullock is an slightly above average big 10 starter ,Lemley is the one prospect they have with real deal potential 

Been hearing about Cardenas to Michigan for months now , I was told by someone talking to foca people this weekend  he is considering Michigan but BigRedFan on here said foca gave an interview saying he’s staying at Cornell but only can wrestle 2nd semester, still interview and all wouldn’t shock me if they threw a bag at him and scooped him up