Penn State next year

peanut

Just now, red viking said:

Huh? Over Mirasola, who already qualified for olympic trials? Whatever.

Cochran bumped up to heavy this year and beat an AA and has wins over a few qualifers in his career, only Ls to beard and Cardenas (rough Ls though), he’s been in the room for awhile and has been one of Brooks main practice partners (Brooks sat out matches in the past just to Cochran a chance to start) , the guys and coaches love him. Cael loves giving guys like him the first chance to start and if they falter then the freshman goes so Cochran will get first chance at grabbing the spot unless PSU brings in a transfer 

11 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

It wouldnt shock me if Gibson went 125 in college. Hes pretty short and wasnt going to start over Forrest. He wrestled a bit at 138 before switching with Bassett....

Yea but he’s built like a fire hydrant and muscle weighs more than fat so he may end up 133 but most likely too short to be a 141 ever

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea but he’s built like a fire hydrant and muscle weighs more than fat so he may end up 133 but most likely too short to be a 141 ever

I agree, but it still wouldnt shock me. I think 133 would be a natural weight for him, but i dont see him filling that spot.

What weight does Lilledahl go and does he redshirt? If he wrestles right away either Davis or Nagao are likely out of the lineup.

Next year
125 Davis, Lilledahl RS
133 Nagao

Year after
125 Lilledahl, Davis RS
133 Nagao

Year after
125 Davis
133 Lilledahl
Nagao graduates. Seems pretty seamless to me. Could flip around Davis/Lilledahl redshirt years if they want too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

5 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

What weight does Lilledahl go and does he redshirt? If he wrestles right away either Davis or Nagao are likely out of the lineup.

At the start of the season when Davis started they said that he was likely to move up to at least 133 given his build.

57 minutes ago, Tomblvd said:

At the start of the season when Davis started they said that he was likely to move up to at least 133 given his build.

Agree. Plus, given Lilledahl’s freestyle talents & aspirations at 57k, I see him as more of a 125, at least early career at PSU.

• Bob 1

13 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I see Penn State redshirting Kasak when SVN returns.

I could also imagine MM and Haines switching places.

I don’t know about Mesenbrink going down, but I just can’t envision Haines staying at 157 again. He looks huge to me and I think his gas tank was down a bit this year. He’s pretty young so likely still growing. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he leap frogs MM and takes over at 174 if Starocci is done. 

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t know about Mesenbrink going down, but I just can’t envision Haines staying at 157 again. He looks huge to me and I think his gas tank was down a bit this year. He’s pretty young so likely still growing. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he leap frogs MM and takes over at 174 if Starocci is done. 

They really should switch.  Haines is huge and Mesenbrink is a small 165 pounder.  He got big brothered by Carr last night, especially when Carr was on top.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

They really should switch.  Haines is huge and Mesenbrink is a small 165 pounder.  He got big brothered by Carr last night, especially when Carr was on top.

I agree he doesn’t look huge at 165, but his conditioning is his best weapon. Why run the risk of loosing that by cutting too much? He lost a super close match to a 6th year senior and the weight is all his next year. No reason for him to risk losing his edge by going down. 

3 hours ago, fishbane said:

He is far behind Gable in AAs.  He could surpass him but it would be in more years of coaching even if you limit Sanderson's sample size to just PSU years. 

As you pointed out 20 for 20 in Big Ten title will be a tall order and her certainly won't be able to do it in his first 20 years like Gable. 

Gable had 15 team titles in 20 years.  Sanderson has 11 in 18 years.  If you remove the COVID year it's 11 in 17.  If you remove the ISU years it's 11 in 15.  If you remove the ISU years and the COVID year it's 11 in 14.  Can't get 15 in his first 20.  He could get 15 in fewer than 20 years at PSU.

Two Gable records Cael won't touch. Winning the Conference 21 straight years  he coached and nine straight NCAA Titles.

Most others are within reach if he stays as head coach.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Does he have another year?

I think he does.  So does Jacob Cardenas and he cannot compete for Cornell because he graduates and no grads for Ivy teams.   Cardenas is looking . . . . hm.  Not an easy call between Keck and Cardenas - does Keck have the frame for 197?

14 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Two Gable records Cael won't touch. Winning the Conference 21 straight years  he coached and nine straight NCAA Titles.

3. Most statues of themselves on campus

I think he could certainly win 9 straight NCAA titles. 21 straight conference championships no though.

23 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I think he could certainly win 9 straight NCAA titles. 21 straight conference championships no though.

I don't think Sanderson cares about Conference championships.  

125: Luke Lilledahl

133: Aaron Nagao / Braeden Davis RS

141: Beau Bartlett / Tyler Kasak RS

149: Shayne Van Ness

157: Levi Haines

165: Mitchell Mesenbrink / Joe Sealey RS

174: Carter Starocci / Alex Facundo / Zach Ryder RS

184: Josh Barr

197: Connor Mirasola

285: Greg Kerklivet / Cole Mirasola RS

9 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

I don't think Sanderson cares about Conference championships.  

On top of that, when Gable started at Iowa the Big ten honestly was second fiddle by a wide margin to the Big12. 

• Fire 1

125: Luke Lilledahl
133: Aaron Nagao / Braeden Davis RS
141: Beau Bartlett / Tyler Kasak RS
149: Shayne Van Ness
157: Levi Haines
165: Mitchell Mesenbrink / Joe Sealey RS
174: Carter Starocci / Alex Facundo / Zach Ryder RS
184: Josh Barr
197: Connor Mirasola
285: Greg Kerklivet / Cole Mirasola RS

If Nagao can get right and they get some points out of 174/184/197, that is a salty ass lineup.

I know Iowa fans think Ayala is going to smoke everyone from yesterday onwards but Lilledahl is really, really good. Beating people of the same caliber as Ayala as a high school senior. Figs’ training partner, actually.

• Fire 1

On top of that, when Gable started at Iowa the Big ten honestly was second fiddle by a wide margin to the Big12. 

And Penn State wasn’t in the conference.

15 minutes ago, Le duke said:

If Nagao can get right and they get some points out of 174/184/197, that is a salty ass lineup.

I know Iowa fans think Ayala is going to smoke everyone from yesterday onwards but Lilledahl is really, really good. Beating people of the same caliber as Ayala as a high school senior. Figs’ training partner, actually.

Do you think Nagao could get squeezed out of the lineup? I expect Davis to fill out in the offseason and have no idea if 133 is a hard cut for Nagao. He looks pretty big for the weight.