Coaching Carousel

Brandon Eggum was just extended by Minnesota, we just placed the worst I can remember in the last 30 years. We have had down seasons but a down season in the past would include a couple weights not qualifying at nationals and still a few guys in the semis. 

I wish we could have Damion Hahn as our head coach but for the sake of the sport I hope he coaches at SDSU for 20 more years. He has came into the state of Minnesota and landed Blue Chipper Bennett Berge and got results in 4th at Ncaas, he came in and got Derrick Cardinal and Cael Swenson. SDSU is bringing in Diamond in the rough type recruits that Minnesota used to live off of for years. SDSU is trending upwards and just wrestled very well as a whole at NCAAS.

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, creek chub said:

Any truth to the rumor the AD is going to make an announcement soon re: the wrestling team?

“I’m pleased to announce the new head coach, tasked specifically to take down Penn State. Everybody, let’s give a big round of applause to Mr. Richard Dawkins.”

• Brain 1
  • Haha 1

What's going to happen at CMU?  I know the hot rumor is Reader.  I do like the guy but everyone is trying to run Bono out of Madison for the team's under performance but his assistant coach is in line to get a HC job?   Would he hire Bono to be his assistant at CMU? 

Obviously they would love to bring Casey home but that seems unlikely at this point.  

On 3/23/2024 at 10:42 PM, wrestle87 said:

Yeah, DT who has a wrestling club, a farm, and has put down major roots around Penn State, building his whole life and career around Pennsylvania and Penn State, has started multiple businesses in Penn State, brought Kyle Dake to Penn State, and has access to more olympians and olympic medals in one room than 5 rooms outside Happy Valley Combined can offer.

To go to Iowa like that, you'd have to be a pretty angry prick.  He hasn't done enough of anything in the direction to justify leaving everything he has built, and everyone who has helped him built it, to just go off and fuel his own ego.  

I could always be proven wrong...but this sounds like some Minnow level bs there.  

Everyone keeps saying that DT will never end up coaching because of all of his endeavors at and around Penn State, but at the end of the day, it shows that he is constantly adding more to his plate and still has the desire to grow. If he gets offered an incredible coaching gig when he's done wrestling (which is a huge time suck and likely to be after June of this year), the least of his worries is finding a manager of a juice bar or a way to transport his two cows. With this mindset, he'd never leave Pennsylvania due to sunk costs. I'd be way more inclined that he would see it as a way to EXPAND his brands and businesses, rather than shut the other ones down.

• Bob 1

41 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Everyone keeps saying that DT will never end up coaching because of all of his endeavors at and around Penn State, but at the end of the day, it shows that he is constantly adding more to his plate and still has the desire to grow. If he gets offered an incredible coaching gig when he's done wrestling (which is a huge time suck and likely to be after June of this year), the least of his worries is finding a manager of a juice bar or a way to transport his two cows. With this mindset, he'd never leave Pennsylvania due to sunk costs. I'd be way more inclined that he would see it as a way to EXPAND his brands and businesses, rather than shut the other ones down.

I don’t doubt that he would be interested in doing it potentially, but I think people underestimate the continuing value he gets from having access to the Penn State room.  If DT goes to Iowa, he cuts most if not every influential wrestling mind from PSU out of his life, and goes from being aligned with that enormous battleship to being opposed to it.

I also think people are forgetting that David and Cael, as well as their families, have a literal lifelong relationship.  David’s family moved around the country to be closer to the Sandersons when he was little.  That’s a much bigger thing to walk away from.

I would think Dake would be a better fit for the Iowa environment than David.  Dake has more of that monomaniacal fire that Iowa fans and emperor Gable are used to/expect, he’s kind of insane, and just goes about whooping up on everybody as hard as he can all day everyday.  

20 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I don’t doubt that he would be interested in doing it potentially, but I think people underestimate the continuing value he gets from having access to the Penn State room.  If DT goes to Iowa, he cuts most if not every influential wrestling mind from PSU out of his life, and goes from being aligned with that enormous battleship to being opposed to it.

I also think people are forgetting that David and Cael, as well as their families, have a literal lifelong relationship.  David’s family moved around the country to be closer to the Sandersons when he was little.  That’s a much bigger thing to walk away from.

I would think Dake would be a better fit for the Iowa environment than David.  Dake has more of that monomaniacal fire that Iowa fans and emperor Gable are used to/expect, he’s kind of insane, and just goes about whooping up on everybody as hard as he can all day everyday.  

Lots of logic in this post for sure, and both would have that "name recognition!"  So, say David Taylor goes to the Olympics and brings back the gold just adding more palmres to his legacy.  Iowa gets the checkbook out and writes a number that is so big, it's absolutely crazy to say no.  Taylor goes to Iowa, which is a traditional hotbed of wrestling, but sure not Pennsylvania, gets to pick assistants, top facilities, etc...  Would the "Benjamins" be enough of a pull to get it done, loyalty or not?  Does money buy happiness?  In the college football world there are several disciples knocking off their mentors.  It's part of why they coach.  Cale and Penn State is the standard now.  What if Taylor really wanted to leave a legacy as a coach to go along with his wrestling legacy?  Remember, Gable wrestled for Iowa State before starting his legacy at Iowa.  He was the man I idolized as a HS wrestler.  Losing just once and bouncing back to win gold and be the poster boy for wrestling.  Cale goes undefeated, gold medal at Olympics and new poster boy.  Takes Iowa State job with success, took the money and new address in hot bed of talent and built his dynasty.  Zoom forward.  All dynasties eventually end and most the time it is because an ambitious upstart challenges the power structure and drives out the old.  Hail Taylor!  Hail Taylor!  Gotta admit, this forum would go batshit crazy on that day.

On 3/25/2024 at 1:54 PM, Rassling said:

Iowa will NOT win another national title under Brands.

I agree with this sentiment and I don't blame you for typing out the other 75 or so schools on the list. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 3/25/2024 at 7:24 PM, mspart said:

Probably Iowa will not win another while Cael is at Penn State.  

What if Cael decided he needed another challenge and picked up and went somewhere else?

mspart

Sleeping Giant Michigan State, please.

Or: PLOT TWIST:  Cunningham as HC at CMU and Cael as AHC.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me