Transfer Portal

23 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Kinda leads to the question: has a wrestler ever before won the title and the following season used a regular redshirt (not Olympic or medical)

All won as a Jr:
Pete Bush (Redshirted due to injury)
Barry Davis (Redshirted for Olympics)
Gene Mills (Redshirted for Olympics)
Darrion Caldwell (Redshirted due to injury)
Jordan Burroughs (Redshirted due to injury)

And in case you don't count those previous 5, but they used a regular redshirt:
Pat Smith
Jim Gregson

• Brain 1

On 5/1/2024 at 10:56 PM, macwoodfleet said:

A huge difference between Penn state sending out two guys who never wrestled a national tournament for anyone else in MM and Kerkvliet and Iowa and michigan basing their entire programs now on poaching older kids. 

“Entire programs” - exaggerate much? Iowa, Mich and PSU all had 30-40% of starting lineup and Iowa’s was mainly due to the gambling issue. They “may” have 20-30% this year, but doubt they get that many. 

11 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

He went 4-5 this season and had losses to: Murphy Menke (Oregon State), Chittum, Ed Scott (15-3 score), Askey, and Jonathan Ley (Navy; 12-2 score). Not sure I'd consider this as "shoring up a hole". 

I appreciate your opinion, but I will go with Coach Austin O'Connor's. 

11 hours ago, gromit said:

yeah, but what's his record vs. large reptiles?

Let me answer your question with a question. 

In the event of a large Crocnado, who do you want fighting by your side? Danny Nini or Levi Haines? I wouldn't risk my life or the lives of my family on somebody with, as far as we know, zero experience with large reptiles. 

I would rather fight side by side with the guy who laid on top of a gator as comfortable as a six-year old watching Saturday morning cartoons. 

ILLINI204.jpg

• Bob 1

8 hours ago, hawkguy said:

Much better than me at what game? What does this even mean lmao

Honestly, I was just stirring the honeypot there.

I am here for entertainment value, really.

Have a good day.

• Fire 1
  • Potato 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Hwt1 said:

“Entire programs” - exaggerate much? Iowa, Mich and PSU all had 30-40% of starting lineup and Iowa’s was mainly due to the gambling issue. They “may” have 20-30% this year, but doubt they get that many. 

Well they have 1 for sure (Caliendo), and seems like a high likelihood that they get at least one more, probably more than that.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  As of now PSU is already projected to start 3 transfers and Michigan 2, with Michigan in particular likely looking for more

• Bob 1

13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

He's solid on defense, but I don't see him as a starter on a top team right now.  He could be a star of a smaller MAC program though.

Maybe ACC? Him leaving OK State probably wasn't a good idea but if he were to go to a ACC team, Pitt, Duke, Stanford?

Just want the best. Still has a lot of potential.

• Bob 1

@flyingcement don't mean to be a stickler but it is Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville so it is SIU-E not SIEU (or SIUE if you don't like hyphens). There is also Southern Illinois University - Carbondale and that is SIUC (or SIU-C if you are a big fan of hyphens).

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Still waiting on Parco/Teemer updates.

Just like all of us.... However, Teemer isn't  in the portal.

Cannon...Bearclaw....Alirez....when it happens it will be posted. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

41 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Maybe ACC? Him leaving OK State probably wasn't a good idea but if he were to go to a ACC team, Pitt, Duke, Stanford?

Just want the best. Still has a lot of potential.

ACC is P4P the 2nd toughest conference in D1 NCAA wrestling.  He has a better shot at success in the B12 (more bottom feeders there) - just my opinion.

That said, a lot of his potential destination(s) as well as weight will be dependent on his future aspirations.  He has been competing at 70 KG for Serbia internationally.  They don't typically do 'off' weights for Senior level.  That means he needs to head towards 65 KG (~143.3lbs) or 74 KG (~163.1lbs).

Him to 141 or 157 would make sense for either of those... he could also stay 149, but he would need to head to 65 KG after that - were that the goal.

All this said, I know I said ACC was more difficult, but North Carolina makes sense for him.  There are many folks there with senior level aspirations.

Michigan makes sense... same thing.  He would immediately compete for a starting spot at 149lbs... or perhaps 141lbs and 'allow' Lemley to redshirt.

I can't think of (m)any MAC programs that have substantial international presence.

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I appreciate your opinion, but I will go with Coach Austin O'Connor's. 

Him going 4-5 and having losses to: Murphy Menke (Oregon State), Chittum, Ed Scott (15-3 score), Askey, and Jonathan Ley (Navy; 12-2 score) is not an opinion. You can do with that information what you will.

19 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Him going 4-5 and having losses to: Murphy Menke (Oregon State), Chittum, Ed Scott (15-3 score), Askey, and Jonathan Ley (Navy; 12-2 score) is not an opinion. You can do with that information what you will.

Results don't lie.... On the flip side, if you have nobody at a weight, then someone transfers in, I guess you are technically "filling a hole".... then, what you are filling the hole with becomes the question. 

• Brain 1

5 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Let me answer your question with a question. 

In the event of a large Crocnado, who do you want fighting by your side? Danny Nini or Levi Haines? I wouldn't risk my life or the lives of my family on somebody with, as far as we know, zero experience with large reptiles. 

I would rather fight side by side with the guy who laid on top of a gator as comfortable as a six-year old watching Saturday morning cartoons. 

ILLINI204.jpg

Worth pointing out that he's not the first Illini with gator experience.  Pat Quirk wrastled gators and finished 2nd at NCAA.  He did have a little trouble with Munoz but thats a different animal.  Think of the NIL coin Quirk could earn today.  

• Ionel 1

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

From what I am hearing on the ground is he is homesick, but it isn't a guarantee he even leaves (think Slav).  Homesick, to me, tells me Oregon State or somewhere with friends, such as Cal Poly or Purdue.  I also think I had read somewhere that both ASU and North Carolina were considerations too, but I haven't heard any of that first hand.

As long as he succeeds wherever ge goes, I am happy 

I would love to see him at Campbell U. Their 184 graduated and they have a very solid team returning.

2 hours ago, killdozer said:

@flyingcement don't mean to be a stickler but it is Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville so it is SIU-E not SIEU (or SIUE if you don't like hyphens). There is also Southern Illinois University - Carbondale and that is SIUC (or SIU-C if you are a big fan of hyphens).

I appreciate the correction and have fixed it in my file.  thanks brother

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

49 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Man Flo sucks at keeping up with the portal. This is stupid.

So, just as FYI that you are going to see it on social media before FLO. 

32 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Just like it's OKST, not OSU...🥱

Calling anybody but Oklahoma State OSU is just plain disrespectful.

Especially being as Ohio State University proper calls themself tOSU...

image.png.493f678cbc9656b3d8f86a648d1790d9.png

GMqEgTGXUAESxjY.png

• Jagger 1

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Calling anybody but Oklahoma State OSU is just plain disrespectful.

You're usually better than this. Perhaps this is just you for entertainment purposes...:classic_cool:

• Haha 2