Most Intriguing Matches on Thursday

Looking at the bracket for 125, it's highly possible Braedon Davis will wrestle only B10 opponents! Lujan, Peterson, McKee, Ramos, and Ayala! That would be crazy, huh? It would only require a couple mild upsets (per seedings) for it to happen.

Nasir Bailey vs Nagao 

Davis vs Peterson/Ungar

Shapiro vs Chittum

Bernie vs Hawks

Levi vs Mauller (don't really expect it to be in the balance just insane that the 1 seed has a 3x AA r2) decent chance Mauller doesn't even win r1 though he lost to Teague in the dual.

Several Mizzou matches are interesting to me but I am a biased alumni. 

Surtain and Poulin is a rematch from the 2023 Big 12 finals.

Moore and Bailey will be entertaining.

Edmond vs Henson in part due to Henson's MU ties.

Gioffre could put Watters in danger.

Mauller vs Travis.  Travis' father wrestled at Mizzou.

Is Mocco healthy enough to return to form?

Hawks vs Kane is a rematch from the first round of NCAA 2023.  Hawks can go with anyone in the bracket.

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Every 125 match.

I love these 17 v 18 matchups, but especially the rematches:

The Teague v Mauller rematch at 157

The Brown v Bouzakis rematch at 133

What's the story with Mauller? He's never seemed to improve at Mizzou. Has he been hampered with injury issues, or did he basically peak his FR year at Mizzou? If so he must've had a helluva HS coach. 

16 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

What's the story with Mauller? He's never seemed to improve at Mizzou. Has he been hampered with injury issues, or did he basically peak his FR year at Mizzou? If so he must've had a helluva HS coach. 

Fine question.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Every 125 match.
The Teague v Mauller rematch at 157
The Brown v Bouzakis rematch at 133

#17s don’t wrestle #18s.

#17 gets the #16
#18 gets the #15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

3 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

#17s don’t wrestle #18s.

#17 gets the #16
#18 gets the #15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But he's still allowed to love the 17 v 18, it's very very rare but ...  💘 

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

I think the match between Braedon Davis and Tristan Lujan (assuming he wins his pigtail match) might be the toughest #1 seed first round draw. 

Easily.

And the easiest matchup is arguably Lewis at 174lbs, who has the toughest quarter (assuming Sta(l)rocci is to form).

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Great question that I don't know if anybody knows the answer to.  I do know that he wrestled unattached last year as a RS at 157 and didn't do well.  I had hoped he'd be back at 149 for this season, but he's big.  He was able to horse guys at the lower weight...maybe not so much at 57.

Sad...similar story to Jacques, imo.  Ironic that they came from the same HS (as did Eierman).

Edited by The_KC_Godfather
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, Preceptor said:

Several Mizzou matches are interesting to me but I am a biased alumni. 

Surtain and Poulin is a rematch from the 2023 Big 12 finals.

Moore and Bailey will be entertaining.

Edmond vs Henson in part due to Henson's MU ties.

Gioffre could put Watters in danger.

Mauller vs Travis.  Travis' father wrestled at Mizzou.

Is Mocco healthy enough to return to form?

Hawks vs Kane is a rematch from the first round of NCAA 2023.  Hawks can go with anyone in the bracket.

Looking at common opponents since the 2023 Big 12 finals, it seems Surtin may have closed the gap.  I hope so, but he's a wrestleback monster I feel like, so not super worried if he drops to consi's.

I have Edmond/Henson circled on my watch list...that's going to be a fun one, and I think this year may be the year Henson gets on the podium.

I really hope Mocco is able to push through. Would love to see another AA for him.

I have Hawks AAing in my bracket (tried my very best to keep bias out of it and not give him swing matches).

Edited by The_KC_Godfather

1st RD

125: Surtin/Poulin & Smith/DeAugustino

133: Chlebove/Serrano

149: Rathjen/Williams 

157 Swensen/Zerban

174: Carter/Sparks (How healthy is he?)

184: Fishback/Malczewski & Heller/Rogotzke

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

43 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Blood round, correct?

I believe so. Also Woods was called for an illegal hold in the match, if I remember correctly it was from neutral and Woods had Carlson's arm behind his back and did like a kimura.

3 hours ago, Warm Up Champ said:

What about 141: #30 Clay Carlson v. #3 Real Woods?

Carlson is 1-0 against him (11-4).  First match off the scale.

Scratch this....  #24 Cornella is out of the bracket so Carlson moves up to 29th and off of Woods.

4 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Great question that I don't know if anybody knows the answer to.  I do know that he wrestled unattached last year as a RS at 157 and didn't do well.  I had hoped he'd be back at 149 for this season, but he's big.  He was able to horse guys at the lower weight...maybe not so much at 57.

Sad...similar story to Jacques, imo.  Ironic that they came from the same HS (as did Eierman).

They're all counter and defensive wrestlers, although Eierman evolved some.  Every match Jacques had against decent guys was like 1-2 or 2-3, or OT.  He could keep everything close, but couldn't score off his own offense.  I think people have figured this out vs Mauller too.   Against weaker guys, he's a scoring machine, but against better wrestlers he reverts to his old ways. He'll be down in the 3rd and won't even take a decent shot until it's too late.  And the bump to 157 didn't help.  Not sure what the hell he was thinking after his RS year at that weight.

• Wrestle 1

24 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

They're all counter and defensive wrestlers, although Eierman evolved some.  Every match Jacques had against decent guys was like 1-2 or 2-3, or OT.  He could keep everything close, but couldn't score off his own offense.  I think people have figured this out vs Mauller too.   Against weaker guys, he's a scoring machine, but against better wrestlers he reverts to his old ways. He'll be down in the 3rd and won't even take a decent shot until it's too late.  And the bump to 157 didn't help.  Not sure what the hell he was thinking after his RS year at that weight.

Jacques has finally made an enormous jump in his freestlye wrestling hes actually super dynamic on his feet im not sure what clicked.