Coach Manning calling a spade a spade!

“I remember one year because the Minnesota coaches told me that Dustin Schlatter tore up his knee. Came to Big Tens, and they said ‘Seed him 12th.’ That’s being transparent because Dustin Schlatter was obviously a three-time All-American and it was his senior year,” Manning said. “That’s just the right thing to do, not ‘Well, we don’t know, we’re going to evaluate tomorrow.’ Well, the guy didn’t wrestle in either tournament. There’s a reason why the guy didn’t wrestle. Minnesota handled it the right way – they came in and said it.”

Starocci is seeded 9th at NCAAs and everyone is complaining about it. 

This seems more about the fact that PSU wins all the time, and Manning shouldn't stoop to such levels as this.

• Haha 1

For a team that wins all the time, PSU fans might be the most sensitive bunch ever.    Good for Manning for calling out PSU and glad he explained himself further.  Interesting that he reached out to Surianos before tweeting too.   

• Bob 5
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 3

7 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I had no idea that Manning was such a whiny bitch. 

Tell me you’ve never watched a Nebraska dual without telling me you’ve never watched a Nebraska dual

• Haha 3
  • Wrestle 2

10 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

“I remember one year because the Minnesota coaches told me that Dustin Schlatter tore up his knee. Came to Big Tens, and they said ‘Seed him 12th.’ That’s being transparent because Dustin Schlatter was obviously a three-time All-American and it was his senior year,” Manning said. “That’s just the right thing to do, not ‘Well, we don’t know, we’re going to evaluate tomorrow.’ Well, the guy didn’t wrestle in either tournament. There’s a reason why the guy didn’t wrestle. Minnesota handled it the right way – they came in and said it.”

Starocci is seeded 9th at NCAAs and everyone is complaining about it. 

This seems more about the fact that PSU wins all the time, and Manning shouldn't stoop to such levels as this.

Nah. It's more Manning sticking up for the sport and not backing down to Caels crap

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1
  • Potato 1

5 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

For a team that wins all the time, PSU fans might be the most sensitive bunch ever.    Good for Manning for calling out PSU and glad he explained himself further.  Interesting that he reached out to Surianos before tweeting too.   

100 % agree. Manning just wants to make the sport better. Be transparent about things, like every other sport. Not to mention make PSU wrestle a schedule. 15 matches in 4 months is a joke! Make it 20

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

100 % agree. Manning just wants to make the sport better. Be transparent about things, like every other sport. Not to mention make PSU wrestle a schedule. 15 matches in 4 months is a joke! Make it 20

Starocci wrestled 14 matches.  

8 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Nah. It's more Manning sticking up for the sport and not backing down to Caels crap

Jajensen, I'm a little disappointed in you solely because this story was soo last week

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

He's not wrong. PSU gamed the Suriano situation to try to minimize Picc's tournament scoring.  And it worked! It comes down to "what's the important thing?"  PSU coaches, is it solely their job to win, or do they bear some responsibility to "do right by the sport"?  I see both side of that argument.

ETA: i don't think the Starocci example is the same situation as Suriano.

Edited by VakAttack
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 2

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

He's not wrong. PSU gamed the Suriano situation to try to minimize Picc's tournament scoring.  And it worked! It comes down to "what's the important thing?"  PSU coaches, is it solely their job to win, or do they bear some responsibility to "do right by the sport"?  I see both side of that argument.

People/coaches/Ncaa need to hold Cael responsible for all his shenanigans. 

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Tell me you’ve never watched a Nebraska dual without telling me you’ve never watched a Nebraska dual

I've watched lots of NU duals but I've never seen Manning acting like any more of a fruitcake than other coaches, especially the Brands. But I've never heard the Brand's boys mewling like bitches over people from other teams defaulting out, either. Manning sounds like an excuse-making Karen to me. 

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

ETA: i don't think the Starocci example is the same situation as Suriano.

No they didn’t ..manning said the same thing a week ago and 5 penn state wrestlers on the team called him out and said he’s a liar 

4 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I've watched lots of NU duals but I've never seen Manning acting like any more of a fruitcake than other coaches, especially the Brands. But I've never heard the Brand's boys mewling like bitches over people from other teams defaulting out, either. Manning sounds like an excuse-making Karen to me. 

Manning legitimately seems to believe that Wilson deserved the bid over Starocci 

3 minutes ago, WrestlingRash said:

seems like giving Penn State some bulletin board material prior to NCAAs might not be the best idea. 

Yeah, I'm sure this bulletin board material will finally get them over the hump.  They've been desperately missing that for all these years...

• Fire 1
  • Jagger 1

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Manning legitimately seems to believe that Wilson deserved the bid over Starocci 

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No they didn’t ..manning said the same thing a week ago and 5 penn state wrestlers on the team called him out and said he’s a liar 

You didn't read the article, did you?

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well there are some reliable narrators.  Come on now.  Let's not be blind.  His ankle was broken.  They didn't break any rules, but it's definitely a little morally gray.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

What do you propose?

For one,  they need put some kind of guidelines for a schedule.  Bump up # of matches needed to wrestle to 20. 15 matches in 4 months is Ridiculous. We are trying to grow the sport, but the "best" team never wrestles.   Also if they know a guy isn't going to wrestle, reseed him, don't wreck post seasons for everyone else. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think he feels that Starocci being seeded 1st and defaulting basically blew up the bracket, costing Wilson a spot, not that Wilson should be in over Starocci.  It's definitely a loser's lament on Manning's part.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Well there are some reliable narrators.  Come on now.  Let's not be blind.  His ankle was broken.  They didn't break any rules, but it's definitely a little morally gray.

As alluded to, "practice" probably consisted of things like hand bike, sit-ups, maybe some side bends and (seated) toe touches.