Wrestlers who may win it all with ....... mostly defense

Rank# 1  Lewan.  Lew one-to-one (as someone called him) or Will Lewan "take a shot?" has come to epitomize this year's edition of the low score model with five or six low scoring OT bouts.  A really tough out for most.  Lewan vs Haines is the Ying and Yang of wrestling strengths and styles which makes it boring to many.  As for me, it makes stressful not boring.

Rank #2 - Bartlett.  Beau probably scores more that Lewan because unlike Lewan (who is an immoble, inpenetratable rock) he is mobile.  So Beau scores with go behinds on bad technique shots against him and he does typically shoot a few times during the course of a match.  However, not getting the first TD usually is an insurmountable deficit against the better wresters.  His hips may rank second only to Lewan in opponents who have bounced off them for the year.

Rank #3 -  Rocco Welsh.  Only a freshman, he may develop great offense against the best.  However, he must be on my list based on his match with Starocci.  He fought great head and hands and kept a wrestler of Starocci's neutral talents from firing many shots.  He didn't show any offensive firepower against Carter, and if he can slow it down again (Roc'n'Stall Welch) you have to give him a chance against the top offensive talents.  Question is does he develop additional fire power in future seasons or does he settle into a Bartlett type mode.

Who did I miss?

• Brain 1

26 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Who did I miss?

Interesting topic.  The issue for the wrestlers you listed is they have opponents in their weight class who are equally if not better defensively with more offense.  For example, 157 - Levi Haines is better defensively than Lewan, 174 - both Mekhi and Starocci are better defensively at this point in their careers, and at 149 Bartlett might be the best defensive wrestler at the weight but it's not so impenetrable that wrestlers like Woods or Mendez can't break through.  But to add to your list Cole Matthews, Cam Amine, Dean Peterson, Daton Fix, & Rocky Elam 

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

57 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

…and at 149 Bartlett might be the best defensive wrestler at the weight but it's not so impenetrable that wrestlers like Woods or Mendez can't break through. 

Eh, 141???

2 hours ago, Zahnarzt said:

Hamiti’s funky defense looked great against Mesenbrink, until he ran out of gas. 

Mesenbrink may win a title by not having much defense, and instead just having a bottomless gas tank.

9 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Possibly DeAug

27 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It's almost like his opponents are mesmerized by him and become offensively complacent.  Perhaps they are mesmerized by his beard and/or overall caveman appearance.

65ba79eaa4664.png?width=1200&quality=80

17076010_0.jpg

😏

D3

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Mesenbrink may win a title by not having much defense, and instead just having a bottomless gas tank.

I think where MM is vulnerable is that he isn't all that athletic. I know that sounds stupid with how good he is but I think his technique and motor are what makes him so good, not his athleticism. There were a few times this year when he looked downright goofy trying to defend an attack. There are just times when he looks really stiff when being defensive like I've never seen before where other guys would have easily countered for a takedown. He is just very technical with a wide variety of attacks coupled with a huge motor and insane chain wrestling. I think where he lacks is scrambling where athleticism is key and is why Hamiti was able to really dominate him until the MM motor was able to crush him.

3 hours ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

I think where MM is vulnerable is that he isn't all that athletic. I know that sounds stupid with how good he is but I think his technique and motor are what makes him so good, not his athleticism. There were a few times this year when he looked downright goofy trying to defend an attack. There are just times when he looks really stiff when being defensive like I've never seen before where other guys would have easily countered for a takedown. He is just very technical with a wide variety of attacks coupled with a huge motor and insane chain wrestling. I think where he lacks is scrambling where athleticism is key and is why Hamiti was able to really dominate him until the MM motor was able to crush him.

That is a great point, I couldn't agree more.  Retherford and Nick Lee actually kinda looked that way in their first few years.  Retherford still does, moves like a robot, he's just so strong that it takes an exceptional individual to get him out of position.

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It's almost like his opponents are mesmerized by him and become offensively complacent.  Perhaps they are mesmerized by his beard and/or overall caveman appearance.

5 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

65ba79eaa4664.png?width=1200&quality=80

17076010_0.jpg

Would you want to tangle with that mess?  If he hasn't shaved in 5 years has he showered within the last year?  I'd stay away.  😬

• Haha 2

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

So that prevents opponents from attacking? Or perhaps they are less committed to attacks?

That's my thought.  Would you attack that?  Looks like a good defense mechanism.  

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

If he hasn't shaved in 5 years has he showered within the last year? 

This is before he cut his hair and grew his beard. He was on tour, following Phish around the country, trading crystals for grilled cheese and a heady IPA...✌️

JukovJE.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think DeAug is in a daze because he thinks he's Tom Hanks' character in Castaway and is too lonely and sad to wrestle. Bormet just needs to tell him to imagine a volleyball face on all his opponents, and he'll be fine

castaway.png

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

This is before he cut his hair and grew his beard. He was on tour, following Phish around the country, trading crystals for grilled cheese and a heady IPA...✌️

JukovJE.jpg

Am assuming you also have a pic of Davis first day on campus?