I am done with "Glory be to..."

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

Great interview! I agree that’s a great perspective and if others shared their views in the same manner, it would be received better. However, I know that giving interviews is hard especially after a match when adrenaline is kicking and emotions are a whirlwind. And college students just generally don’t have the life perspective yet to give a great speech off the top of their head. So I tend to extend grace for interviews that aren’t the best. 

Absolutely.  The level of adrenaline and fight or flight flowing through a wrestler directly after a match - is likely to be a similar impact to their inhibitions as having a couple of stiff drinks.  I don't hold it against Brooks in the same way that I would if he made those claims outside of the context of a post-match interview in which he had the opportunity to collect and formulate his thoughts.

• Brain 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Bo Nickal definitely talks about his strong faith when he is interviewed these days.

Isn't Bo Nickal his own God?  Having faith only in himself?

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

So did you two have a problem with the kneeling?

I didn't give a crap. I don't care what individual players decide to do.  I have a problem if they are forced to do it by the organization or league. 

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Isn't Bo Nickal his own God?  Having faith only in himself?

Don't know about that but isn't it true you have more thrones than anyone else on the planet?

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Absolutely.  The level of adrenaline and fight or flight flowing through a wrestler directly after a match - is likely to be a similar impact to their inhibitions as having a couple of stiff drinks.  I don't hold it against Brooks in the same way that I would if he made those claims outside of the context of a post-match interview in which he had the opportunity to collect and formulate his thoughts.

Idk. He doesn't even break a sweat... And he doesn't care about the match. Next theory.

Edited by jackwebster

28 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Idk. He doesn't even break a sweat... And he doesn't care about the match. Next theory.

Neither of those things you said are true. If you have ever wrestled in a big match, you know your adrenaline is rushing even if you tech or pin the guy in the first period. And to say he doesn’t care about the match is crazy. He works extremely hard and has put so much into the sport it’s impossible not to care. 

Now, what Cael (and other coaches) have done a good job of is helping them keep it in perspective. (See O’Toole interview above for another example of great perspective). At that level, it’s easy to think wrestling is your life. In order, for them to be able to wrestle “free” and not tighten up in big matches, it helps to keep the match in perspective and have a bigger purpose. No matter what you believe, it’s clear to see that having a bigger purpose in life makes it easier to have that mentality of keeping the match in perspective (it’s not impossible though and there are the exceptions that can do it without religious beliefs). I believe Cael recognizes this and actively recruits this type of kid when he can. I believe he helps foster these beliefs even though the vast majority of his wrestlers are of a different religion than him. I’m not a Penn state fan, but you have to respect that. 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Neither of those things you said are true. If you have ever wrestled in a big match, you know your adrenaline is rushing even if you tech or pin the guy in the first period. And to say he doesn’t care about the match is crazy. He works extremely hard and has put so much into the sport it’s impossible not to care. 

Now, what Cael (and other coaches) have done a good job of is helping them keep it in perspective. (See O’Toole interview above for another example of great perspective). At that level, it’s easy to think wrestling is your life. In order, for them to be able to wrestle “free” and not tighten up in big matches, it helps to keep the match in perspective and have a bigger purpose. No matter what you believe, it’s clear to see that having a bigger purpose in life makes it easier to have that mentality of keeping the match in perspective (it’s not impossible though and there are the exceptions that can do it without religious beliefs). I believe Cael recognizes this and actively recruits this type of kid when he can. I believe he helps foster these beliefs even though the vast majority of his wrestlers are of a different religion than him. I’m not a Penn state fan, but you have to respect that. 

All you say is true. All I said was a joke. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Doublehalf said:

I'm willing to bet the people that are chafed at those on here for expressing their opinion that they don't like how Brooks espouses his views on religion during interviews are the same people that got angry over NFL players kneeling during the national anthem which is quite the paradox...

That is a huge anecdotal leap and not valid. I started the post and I agreed with the kneeling football players. So please don't speculate on something you know nothing about.

Edited by KennyEBHS

On 3/11/2024 at 1:35 PM, PortaJohn said:

I'm agnostic myself and don't believe God or any higher power is invested in me being better than someone else.  But, I've been fascinated by the number of athletes across different sports who really go full in on the God psychology.  This is just my opinion and not based on any reputable study.  Right or wrong I think the "God" in most athletes psyches is just another tool to keep them motivated and focused on success.  Creating a God as some guiding light gives them a higher purpose and can increase motivation.  So it can be a very effective tool & when competing at the highest level you need every little angle or edge you can find to keep you ahead of your competition

like button!

Did anyone else notice that Brooks' walk-out music at B1G finals was ACDC's Hells Bells?  I LOL'ed.  Makes me wonder if Brooks has been trolling us for years, and is going to bust out PSU's seldom-seen "black pentagram" singlet at NCAA finals.

• Haha 1

Just now, BAC said:

Did anyone else notice that Brooks' walk-out music at B1G finals was ACDC's Hells Bells?  I LOL'ed.  Makes me wonder if Brooks has been trolling us for years, and is going to bust out PSU's seldom-seen "black pentagram" singlet at NCAA finals.

I mentioned that on the thread as it was playing; but they kept on playing it when Glazier came out.  Heavyweights also had their own song.

Unfortunately, I think it was the song for the weight class and not chosen by athletes.  Aaron may have chosen some "worship music" as he once mentioned on Baschamania.

3 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

That is a huge anecdotal leap and not valid. I started the post and I agreed with the kneeling football players. So please don't speculate on something you know nothing about.

Kenny- First, I think you misread my post as you and I are in agreement on both matters so this could be a simple misunderstanding on your part... second and with all due respect... You are not the ultimate decider of what is or is not valid. Additionally, we are on a message board where all we do is speculate about matchups, qualifiers, outcomes etc... I and anyone else can speculate all they want. You don't have to like it, but you certainly aren't the gate keeper of what is allowed or not allowed to be speculated on. 

Regardless if you started the thread or not, this is an open discussion/forum. Your presumption of what I know or don't know is entirely off base.

Edited by Doublehalf

On 3/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, KennyEBHS said:

I am a PSU fan, but I am done with the PSU athletes trying to tell us about religion. And when they say that "none of this matters," then why are we watching?

It could be worse.  You could be hearing the Ferrari's mouth off and act like punks. Count your blessings. 

Edited by KLCarnegieTech_1969
  • Jagger 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I mentioned that on the thread as it was playing; but they kept on playing it when Glazier came out.  Heavyweights also had their own song.

Unfortunately, I think it was the song for the weight class and not chosen by athletes.  Aaron may have chosen some "worship music" as he once mentioned on Baschamania.

word on the street is Aaron may be opting for a Creed "classic" for his final NCAA walkout (swinging in on cables, with white sheet wings).  Flo's Andrew Spey has been put in charge of logistics/direction.

5 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

Of course you did.  Had he said something that you agreed with politically or religiously then you'd have been all for it. 

If they want to believe in fairy  tales and invisible bs - it is their right.

I agree it is asinine with all the crap about God on he mat & fields of competition.

• Bob 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

16 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Just saw a Big10 post about Brooks. There are over 3500 likes or hearts and over 100 comments - NONE ZERO, not a single negative comment or laugh emoji. Speaks VOLUMES of some of the individuals who worked so hard to demonstrate their fake phony outrage. I hope he wins the Hodge then takes the mic and leads the nation in prayer. Hahaha!

• Bob 1