Should Olympic Reps be Decided before Pan Am OG Qualifier?

The only change I wouldn't mind seeing is the Sr. Nats champ being able to challenge for the spot. There is a lot of time between qualifying for the last world tournament and now. 

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Why let them? Because they earned that right.

The senior rep should not have to constantly take on challenge matches like they are trying to hold down the varsity spot in high school. They have earned the right and we should give them the respect their accolades demand.

But it is a new year. Our 2023 reps at 57 and 65 did not earn USA a spot in the Olympics at 2023 worlds. They should have to compete for the right to be the rep at 2024 Pan Am OG qualifier. USA did a good thing with allowing medalists to challenge, but it didn't work. Most opted out. So let's change that to Senior Nationals. World team member from previous year gets the 1 seed.

I do not think moving trials to before Pan Ams is ever going to happen, so I prefer the idea of making Senior Nationals the qualifier 

• Fire 2

9 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

But it is a new year. Our 2023 reps at 57 and 65 did not earn USA a spot in the Olympics at 2023 worlds. They should have to compete for the right to be the rep at 2024 Pan Am OG qualifier. USA did a good thing with allowing medalists to challenge, but it didn't work. Most opted out. So let's change that to Senior Nationals. World team member from previous year gets the 1 seed.

I do not think moving trials to before Pan Ams is ever going to happen, so I prefer the idea of making Senior Nationals the qualifier 

It is not a new year. The season goes from WTT to WTT/OTT. That is the year, not the calendar. Get over it people we missed at Pan Ams. If you don't like it work harder to keep Cruz, Gomez, Micic, Amine et al competing for USA instead of somewhere else. I guarantee all you people whining and complaining also blamed the ref and your coaches when you couldn't even make it to state in high school.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

It is not a new year. The season goes from WTT to WTT/OTT. That is the year, not the calendar. Get over it people we missed at Pan Ams. If you don't like it work harder to keep Cruz, Gomez, Micic, Amine et al competing for USA instead of somewhere else. I guarantee all you people whining and complaining also blamed the ref and your coaches when you couldn't even make it to state in high school.

*states

• Ban Basketball 1

33 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The whining and complaining here is NOTHING like what has been said elsewhere on social media. Absolutely disgusting comments. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomez gets booed at by some fans this weekend, then turns around and wins it all including the big event in 2 weeks. 

Edited by Rassling

7 minutes ago, Rassling said:

The whining and complaining here is NOTHING like what has been said elsewhere on social media. Absolutely disgusting comments. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomez gets booed at by some fans this weekend, then turns around and wins it all including the big event in 2 weeks. 

Maybe these people whining and complaining should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, make weight, and qualify 57/65 themselves if they don't like the results.

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Maybe these people whining and complaining should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, make weight, and qualify 57/65 themselves if they don't like the results.

Dude... 
How ridiculous are people. This is David Taylor 6.0
From fans to athletes. Everything is fine until I lose. Until my guy loses. Until I don't get the result I desired. OVERHAUL THE SYSTEM to where my preferred rep, does nothing to earn the spot, and wrestles people he could beat. Oh he lost to Columbia well they're a well known drug country and I dont think the PAN AMS should support DRUGS, We should lobby to have them kicked out. 
ITS F*CKING WILD, ieqrbighqejhgilqehg2iegbweilgb2eigbeqk I hate how "GOOD OLE BOY 'MERICA" my community is 

• Bob 2

24 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Dude... 
How ridiculous are people. This is David Taylor 6.0
From fans to athletes. Everything is fine until I lose. Until my guy loses. Until I don't get the result I desired. OVERHAUL THE SYSTEM to where my preferred rep, does nothing to earn the spot, and wrestles people he could beat. Oh he lost to Columbia well they're a well known drug country and I dont think the PAN AMS should support DRUGS, We should lobby to have them kicked out. 
ITS F*CKING WILD, ieqrbighqejhgilqehg2iegbweilgb2eigbeqk I hate how "GOOD OLE BOY 'MERICA" my community is 

Every single one of those jack wagon posts should have election year fine print that says "This message endorsed by the People For Pyles Super PAC"

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

You are ignoring my point. I am not complaining or being a hater. To only earn the right to wrestle at the Last Chance Qualifier when you win OTT is not right. There should be a competition in place to figure out who gets to go try to qualify the weight at Pan Ams. That is my point.

21 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:
21 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

To only earn the right to wrestle at the Last Chance Qualifier when you win OTT is not right. There should be a competition in place to figure out who gets to go try to qualify the weight at Pan Ams. That is my point.

I didn't read most of the comments, cause they're awful. 
But... so obviously first criteria was: "Be the world team rep from the previous year".... which really feels an all encompassing competition that adequately reflects pecking order at the weight. 

Secondly: (Stole this from an old @Wrestleknownothing post citing the rules) may be repeated in this post but here. 

"This year USAW altered their criteria to determine who to send to the Continental Qualifier. Rather than automatically send the World Team member at the weight they have the following allowance for challenges:

• A senior world medalist, at any weight, within years (2019-2023) will be given the opportunity to challenge the 2023 Senior World Team Member for the spot.
    • a. If there is more than one challenger in a weight, there will be a single elimination tournament to determine who will challenge the 2023 World Team Member.
    • b. There will be a best of three series between the 2023 Senior World Team Member and the challenger to determine who will earn the spot.

For men's freestyle this only potentially affects 57kg and 65kg."

Man this seems REALLLLLLLLLLY  INCLUSIVE and fair and at 65kg we had a match. 
at 57kg Gilman, Fix, and Vito all had the option to challenge and did not. 

What more do you want brother

• Bob 2

3 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

I didn't read most of the comments, cause they're awful. 
But... so obviously first criteria was: "Be the world team rep from the previous year".... which really feels an all encompassing competition that adequately reflects pecking order at the weight. 

Secondly: (Stole this from an old @Wrestleknownothing post citing the rules) may be repeated in this post but here. 

"This year USAW altered their criteria to determine who to send to the Continental Qualifier. Rather than automatically send the World Team member at the weight they have the following allowance for challenges:

• A senior world medalist, at any weight, within years (2019-2023) will be given the opportunity to challenge the 2023 Senior World Team Member for the spot.
    • a. If there is more than one challenger in a weight, there will be a single elimination tournament to determine who will challenge the 2023 World Team Member.
    • b. There will be a best of three series between the 2023 Senior World Team Member and the challenger to determine who will earn the spot.

For men's freestyle this only potentially affects 57kg and 65kg."

Man this seems REALLLLLLLLLLY  INCLUSIVE and fair and at 65kg we had a match. 
at 57kg Gilman, Fix, and Vito all had the option to challenge and did not. 

What more do you want brother

To get their way of course.

GILMAN LOST TWICE.

NLWC CAN'T QUALIFY 65.

As Ariana Grande once said "thank u next"

• Stalling 1

3 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

You are ignoring my point. I am not complaining or being a hater. To only earn the right to wrestle at the Last Chance Qualifier when you win OTT is not right. There should be a competition in place to figure out who gets to go try to qualify the weight at Pan Ams. That is my point.

Then try winning the year before. The only new rules were being more inclusive of competitors who didn't cut the mustard at an Olympic weight before. Do you get multiple opportunities for special projects at work whenever it is convenient for you to get a promotion over the hard work and proven results of others too?

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

I think we are all disappointed at not qualifying the weights.   We have set up a system where the WTT/OTT is already finalized for those that medaled.   They have no issue.   It is for those weights that didn't qualify the weight at the WCs that is the issue.   For 57, Zane finished way down.   Lee did better but not good enough to qualify.   There was a challenge and that was good.   Nobody wanted to take out Zane, and only YD wanted to take out Lee and knocked his pecan for it.   So there you go.   I think US Nationals would have been a good place to incentivize everyone to participate with the winner being the guy for Pan Am qualifier.   Right now there is not that incentive.   The challenge didn't bring it out for some reason.  

I am just hoping whoever goes to the last chance finished top 3.   I don't like waiting until the end like that.   With our team as strong as it is now, it is just unthinkable that we couldn't get it done at Pan Ams.   But Pan Ams arent what they used to be anymore.   Much tougher.  

mspart

• Wrestle 1

23 minutes ago, mspart said:

good place to incentivize everyone to participate with the winner being the guy for Pan Am qualifier.   Right now there is not that incentive. 

mspart

Incentive is a strong factor.
In the event a weight isn't qualified if you added some WTT Advancement for the person that qualified the weight. Basically as if they're a returning medalist. Maybe that would get all eligible athletes to care. Maybe not.  
20k bonus for anyone that qualifies a weight, from worlds or from pan ams.
Eh theres a million ideas, but I bet USAW is well ahead of us. They'll fix it up for next cycle. 

Edited by Spladle08

1 hour ago, Spladle08 said:

Incentive is a strong factor.
In the event a weight isn't qualified if you added some WTT Advancement for the person that qualified the weight. Basically as if they're a returning medalist. Maybe that would get all eligible athletes to care. Maybe not.  
20k bonus for anyone that qualifies a weight, from worlds or from pan ams.
Eh theres a million ideas, but I bet USAW is well ahead of us. They'll fix it up for next cycle. 

How's about "you don't have to go to Last Chance if you earned the right to challenge for the weight, won the challenge, and won the continental qualifier?"

Seems like a good incentive. But something tells me only fans don't like this incentive while the wrestlers themselves are totally cool with it and have no objections, because if they did their results would speak for themselves.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

How's about "you don't have to go to Last Chance if you earned the right to challenge for the weight, won the challenge, and won the continental qualifier?"

Seems like a good incentive. But something tells me only fans don't like this incentive while the wrestlers themselves are totally cool with it and have no objections, because if they did their results would speak for themselves.

I think you're onto something with this one

On 3/8/2024 at 7:24 PM, bnwtwg said:

I think the argument is that in this scenario, you’d still have to win OTT’s after doing all that