Why Penn State Won't Win The NCAA Tournament

PortaJohn

First let me say I'm a huge PSU fan but after watching these last couple of duals it's obvious they are overrated.  They'll probably win the Big 10's but in the NCAA tournament they will have to wrestle better opponents.   Braeden Davis has been exposed.  Tyler Kasak is too small and too young.  Cael should have redshirted him.  Beau Bartlett has been good this year but he'll probably finish at best 5th place.  Mesenbrink is too undersized.  Levi Haines looks injured. Trent Hidlay is better than Aaron Brooks.  Nagao and Traux probably wont place.  Maybe they will take 8th.  PSU will only have two champs.  Starr and Kerk.  So, who is the team that will beat them?  I think probably Iowa but maybe a team like Cornell?  Discuss

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

6 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

First let me say I'm a huge PSU fan but after watching these last couple of duals it's obvious they are overrated.  They'll probably win the Big 10's but in the NCAA tournament they will have to wrestle better opponents.   Braeden Davis has been exposed.  Tyler Kasak is too small and too young.  Cael should have redshirted him.  Beau Bartlett has been good this year but he'll probably finish at best 5th place.  Mesenbrink is too undersized.  Levi Haines looks injured. Trent Hidlay is better than Aaron Brooks.  Nagao and Traux probably wont place.  Maybe they will take 8th.  PSU will only have two champs.  Starr and Kerk.  So, who is the team that will beat them?  I think probably Iowa but maybe a team like Cornell?  Discuss

You missing the guy who you lobbied so hard for banning?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I know you’re joking, but even in that worst case scenario:

125: 0

133: R12 (3 pts?)

141: 5th (10 pts?)

149: 2-2 (2 pts?)

157: 3rd? (15 pts?)

165: 5th? (10 pts?)

174: 1st (23 pts?)

184: R12 (3 pts?)

197: 2nd (18 pts?)

285: 1st (23 pts?)

That’s still 97 points and a likely title

It's a funny post, but if it were any other team, some of these could be real possibilities.

I do think Haines is looking better than earlier in the season, and Mesenbrink is pretty bad@ss. I like to think about Hidlay pushing Brooks but don't see the latter getting beat. Otherwise, who knows--strange things happen at the big show.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I know you’re joking, but even in that worst case scenario:

125: 0

133: R12 (3 pts?)

141: 5th (10 pts?)

149: 2-2 (2 pts?)

157: 3rd? (15 pts?)

165: 5th? (10 pts?)

174: 1st (23 pts?)

184: R12 (3 pts?)

197: 2nd (18 pts?)

285: 1st (23 pts?)

That’s still 97 points and a likely title

Oops, 107 not 97…

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Hey @PortaJim, you forgot that Brooks is too short.  

4 hours ago, Fred said:

You missing the guy who you lobbied so hard for banning?

Recovery protocol requires a weaning off period of 3 weeks.  WKN last week. I had this week.  @ionel is in the batter's box for next week.  

Edited by PortaJohn

11 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Iowa will not be the team to beat PSU.  Tom and Terry are too short.

Not if Terry would let Tom stand on his shoulders and create Brands Voltron.  You're welcome HR/GIA

• Fire 1

Not sure if this is a troll job or if you’re serious but I’ll play along…. Davis, Nagao, kasak, and Traux are all very beatable. Kerk and star will both win and no one will challenge them. Brooks I think will win but the only person who has a chance to beat him is Hidley. Haines, Bartlett, and Mesenbrink could all possible win but have deep weight classes so they could easily also get 3rd-6th. 

The difference between Penn state and the rest of the field is that PSU puts up bonus points consistently and I think even if they have a “down” tournament that once again puts them over the edge.

The week of NCAAs, Ruth visits to make a motivational speech. He takes Bartlett, Haines, Messy Brick, and Kerk out on a drive to Taco Bell. The boys get arrested and miss the tournament. But, even this catastrophe isn't enough and a 5 way tie for 1st ensues (PSU, Iowa, OkSt, Cornell, Nebbie). However, because of budget cuts nobody gets a trophy since there is not enough to go around

• Fire 3

27 minutes ago, Kov88 said:

The difference between Penn state and the rest of the field is that PSU puts up bonus points consistently and I think even if they have a “down” tournament that once again puts them over the edge.

We'll see about the bonus points. Last year it felt like PSU wasn't getting after it like they usually do at Nationals. The year before too, I think? I don't remember but am sure someone has the data to prove or disprove. 

2 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

The week of NCAAs, Ruth visits to make a motivational speech. He takes Bartlett, Haines, Messy Brick, and Kerk out on a drive to Taco Bell. The boys get arrested and miss the tournament. But, even this catastrophe isn't enough and a 5 way tie for 1st ensues (PSU, Iowa, OkSt, Cornell, Nebbie). However, because of budget cuts nobody gets a trophy since there is not enough to go around

This is along the lines of what I thought the OP was getting at -- he had some sort of source at the NIH telling him that a pandemic was going to shut down the event again, or there's a conspiracy to sabotage all the scales in State College and they're all going to miss weight, or a source in the program says that the pre-practice games are getting too competitive and there's a concern that there will be a gang war between Team Cody and Team Casey's dodgeball teams that will lead to injuries and suspensions gutting the postseason roster.

11 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

If you are throwing up a sideways troll job to convince people to only come up with reasons Penn State will win, I'm impressed bc this is smart.

Penn State dudes always lay a relative egg at some point in the season, it's almost like they plan for it so they can do the important learning weeks out from Big Tens, and can just be money mode by NCAA's.  

I don't believe Penn State has lost an NCAA tournament in any season that Cael actually tried to win it in.  

Realistically, I think the ranges we will see will fall as follows:

125 - 7th-5th

133 - 7th-4th

141 - Finals

149 - DNP

157 - 3rd-1st

165 - 4th-1st

174 - Finals

184 - 5th-3rd

197 - Finals

HWT - Finals

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

We'll see about the bonus points. Last year it felt like PSU wasn't getting after it like they usually do at Nationals. The year before too, I think? I don't remember but am sure someone has the data to prove or disprove. 

PSU bonus points in the Sanderson era. Last year was their lowest other than the punt year and first year.

image.png.786e6c2309731808cee16b8c201736a6.png

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You could have just said 2015...:classic_dry:

Indeed, but we have some newbies, so I thought I would give them some context.

But if I recall correctly they didn't have first place that year because PSU wasn't trying. Isn't that right?

• Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

13 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Starocci is getting tired, Mesenbrink got ridden by that tOSU kid, bartlett isn't as good at getting bonus points as david taylor, the true freshmen are complete trash by historical standards.....all I know for sure is that this team is obviously smoking A LOT of weed!

• Haha 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

23 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Starocci is getting tired, Mesenbrink got ridden by that tOSU kid, bartlett isn't as good at getting bonus points as david taylor, the true freshmen are complete trash by historical standards.....all I know for sure is that this team is obviously smoking A LOT of weed!

Peanut Butter alluded to this in his post above. He's tuned in...

• Fire 1