Why was Messenbrink at Cal Baptist?

1 hour ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

I’m wondering if he didn’t think he’d have long term success, so might as well go to school for free and be in the sun (he mentioned something about nice weather). Then, perhaps, Ben did Ben things by helping him with the mental and convincing him he could go far if he changed his mindset.

And, of course, there’s the opportunity to wrestle for Cael. And NIL money.

He mentioned that NIL had nothing to do with it and that before his senior yr his only D1 offer was to Cal Baptist and he felt like he owed it to them to give them a year for believing in him first 

3 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Oh wow, another transfer that had nothing to do with NIL... Someone wake me when a wrestler says I went to XXX school because they gave me the highest NIL offer.  

I think Nagao implied NIL was a factor, he just said PSU didn’t give him the “highest” offer

57 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Thanks for that. I would imagine the opportunity to wrestle for Cael would out weight NIL money anyway for a lot of wrestlers that want to be in the sport long term.

Yep - I agree.... and I am sure at some point they will be taking care of him on the NIL front as well. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

33 minutes ago, Le duke said:

That was Slumlord Supreme/Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, but IIRC Nagao kinda admitted he was getting a decent payday, it just wasn’t the highest offer.   And it seemed like there was some smoke to him thinking of going to Iowa, so would make sense that PSU needed to offer something.  Maybe Mesenbrink never really considered anywhere but PSU, although even his quote doesn’t mean he didn’t get anything, just that it wasn’t a factor in his decision, and the coaches didn’t talk about it (which I believe is technically illegal anyway)

7 hours ago, Lleynor said:

Did he have any offers besides Cal-Baptist?

Who'd he consider outside of PSU? I forgot. 

And my God, he had to jump crazy levels when those two schools are in the same picture. 

Cael was asked about him earlier this season and what their level of recruitment was like. Cael admitted that if they thought he would be what he is now they would have thrown the kitchen sink at him to commit to PSU. 

He achieved Super Sayain level late and nobody saw it coming. And when it was clear he was capable of Ultra Instinct Cael nabbed him. 

4 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Haven't seen this mentioned, but it could've been for academic reasons. If he couldn't get into a Big Ten school or Mizzou, it's not uncommon to go to a more lenient school from an academic standpoint to get your foot in the door, establish some grades, and then transfer to where you actually want to go. 

I'll add a twist to your comment: he may have gotten the biggest scholarship from Cal Baptist. At least it may have been a factor in his decision. By the time Mes wanted to reopen his recruitment he might have had to settle for 0.2 scholarship money or something similar whereas CBU probably opened their wallet wide to try to reel in him and Gaitan early. Again, just a guess.