Bono NEEDS to go

35 minutes ago, ionel said:

I don't understand. 

Sorry, I could have been more specific -- what I mean is that I look at what Messenbrink is up against and it seems ridiculous that he could win, maybe a candidate for betting the farm against him.  But then I think about IMar, two-time champ, had beaten Jason Nolf in the finals the year before, for goodness sake; I never would have given freshman Joseph, who was really good but didn't look anywhere close to IMar's level before the NCAAs started, a chance against him, and would have lost the farm on that bet.  So that precedent gives me caution in writing off Messenbrink even against the monsters in his bracket -- and O'Toole and Carr are freaking monsters.

13 minutes ago, dragit said:

Sorry, I could have been more specific -- what I mean is that I look at what Messenbrink is up against and it seems ridiculous that he could win, maybe a candidate for betting the farm against him.  But then I think about IMar, two-time champ, had beaten Jason Nolf in the finals the year before, for goodness sake; I never would have given freshman Joseph, who was really good but didn't look anywhere close to IMar's level before the NCAAs started, a chance against him, and would have lost the farm on that bet.  So that precedent gives me caution in writing off Messenbrink even against the monsters in his bracket -- and O'Toole and Carr are freaking monsters.

If look at my post with JimmyCinnabon I was willing to bet the farm against Mesinbrink ... but sure I'll put up the farm against Messenbrink as well.  I like my farm but this seems like a good cause.  

On 2/18/2024 at 10:07 PM, bnwtwg said:

Donny Pritzlaff approves this message

If Pritz leaves NJ, which may be possible, however unlikely. Who takes over for Goodale at Rutgers? Because without Pritz, the best thing about the program is they sellout an arena for a quickly sinking Big Ten team. 

Borrelli and Tirapelle take over at Wisconsin after Bono is resigned. 

Experience in the upper midwest. 

Experience within the Big Ten. With lots of connections, and a short drive, to the suburbs of Chicago.

Able to build a program from the ground up and develop athletes to succeed in high pressure environments. 

Give them a little bit more of an even playing field as far as recruiting. I think they turn things around quickly. 

This isnt Hyperbole: I watched a televised B10 dual and Bono was coaching in a hoodie with cut off sleeves, running up and down the side of the mat.  Hoodie. Cut off sleeves.  B10 dual on TV

• Haha 1

I miss my boy Cletus

17 minutes ago, Old Dirty said:

This isnt Hyperbole: I watched a televised B10 dual and Bono was coaching in a hoodie with cut off sleeves, running up and down the side of the mat.  Hoodie. Cut off sleeves.  B10 dual on TV

Yea, and that means what in your mind? A coach supporting his team to the point of lifting himself off the seat and your focus is his attire?  

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

Yea, and that means what in your mind? A coach supporting his team to the point of lifting himself off the seat and your focus is his attire?  

I believe he's suggesting that Bono appears less than professional both in his dress and his actions. Bono is a clown, who makes a big spectacle of himself and draws attention away from his wrestlers with his matside antics.  

• Fire 3

5 minutes ago, BlueWolverine said:

Bono is a clown, who makes a big spectacle of himself and draws attention away from his wrestlers with his matside antics.  

He was certainly pissed off last dual. Has he ever thrown a chair I wonder...

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, BlueWolverine said:

Bono is a clown, who makes a big spectacle of himself and draws attention away from his wrestlers with his matside antics.  

Wait ... what?

SmartSelect_20240220-125750_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9c48542f1f050ae21758af2af0db3b19.jpg

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Old Dirty said:

There was a rather famous/infamous football coach who rocked this exact outfit for quite some time.

Also, why does Bono have to go? I hear this about a lot of programs coaches right now, when in reality PSU is outclassing most programs optically that it makes these other teams, which aren’t doing poorly by their historic standards, look like trash.

Of all the teams I’ve watched this year (and I will admit to watching a borderline unhealthy amount of wrestling), there are 3 teams I would say have actually wrestled “well”.  Penn State, Okie State, and Cornell.  

Teams who have been on-par with expectations, but who don’t have enormous expectations to begin with are are Penn, Minnesota, and that’s about it.

Now, is this actually the case, that EVERY OTHER TEAM is having a crappy year? No, that’s just not mathematically possible.

Is wisconsin having a bad year? I dunno, they have half the lineup who can sniff an AA, that’s not shabby. Same for rutgers.  3AA’s is a watershed year for either of those programs.  That’s also the same number of AA’s that Michigan and Ohio State could bring back, and UMich and OSU need some guys to really show up.  Gomez isn’t a lock for michigan by any stretch, and neither is anybody in ohio state’s lineup except mendez. 

The old topic of dual teams vs tournament teams comes up again.  Is Nebraska going to be that close to PSU in the national tournament as they were in that dual? Highly unlikely. I look to our good friend @Wrestleknownothing for the actual points impacts of different results, but what is a broadly competitive match at 157, for example, is likely the difference between a finalist and a blood round guy, similar dynamics at 165, and at 149 in the opposite direction. 

For as long as we are a one tournament sport, which is really at the heart of the beauty and the cruelty of the sport at every level (states, NCAA’s, Olympics), this intermediate wrestling is entertaining, but only because it gives us hope for what might happen in March.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, BlueWolverine said:

I believe he's suggesting that Bono appears less than professional both in his dress and his actions. Bono is a clown, who makes a big spectacle of himself and draws attention away from his wrestlers with his matside antics.  

thats your opinion. I bet his kids would say otherwise and say you're the clown for saying something like that. 

5 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

If Pritz leaves NJ, which may be possible, however unlikely. Who takes over for Goodale at Rutgers? Because without Pritz, the best thing about the program is they sellout an arena for a quickly sinking Big Ten team. 

Taylor Walsh? He is a Jersey guy. 

On 2/19/2024 at 8:18 AM, BuckyBadger said:

I think the main issue for whoever is in charge, whether it’s Bono or someone else, is if they can tap into the AWA pipeline of recruits. Clearly, that’s not happening with Bono. I don’t know if it’s fair to say he isn’t a developer of talent. But if he’s only getting mid-level recruits, it might look that way compared to the upper echelon programs.

If UW gets rid of Bono and Askren doesn’t like the new guy, it’s the same issue all over again.

Why not bring in Ben to be the coach. He has massive name recognition and has proven that he can coach wrestling. I also think that if he were the coach we might see some Wisconsin guys that left the state come back home and wrestle for the badgers. Also it is very fair to say Bono isn't good at developing guys. Hamiti came in as a freshman and was an all American but hasn't reached the next tier yet. Amos was a top 5 recruit and hasn't even made the round of 12 in his 2 years. Rowley was a top recruit and left after 1 year. You brought up that Bono is only getting mid tier guys and that is another problem. If all you can get is mid tier you need to be good at developing them. If you look at statistics the Badgers fired Barry Davis because he wasn't meeting the standard they felt they should be at and Bono has had either the same or less success. Instead of hiring Bono they should've hired Ben because then they would've at least had a chance at keeping O'Toole, Keckeisen, Clayton Whiting, Peyton Mocco, Mirasola twins, Sinclair, Millard, Mesenbrink, Scoles, and Mulvaney in Wisconsin for college. They were/are all were top recruits and I'm probably missing some people, but having that much talent in the state and seeing them all leave should be exhibit A for why Bono needs to go. 

4 minutes ago, Disappointed_Badger_Fan said:

Why not bring in Ben to be the coach. He has massive name recognition and has proven that he can coach wrestling. 

When did he do this?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

When did he do this?

Sure he hasn't coached at a college level, but look at the guys I mentioned they were all ready and able to step in as freshman and make an impact. Even the more than likely "worst" rated recruit Keckeisen came in as a freshman and dominated. Either way experience or not the Badgers program under Bono has been going down hill and if you actually follow the Badgers and look at the recruits that are coming in it doesn't look like they will be ascending any time soon. Bono relies on getting senior transfers way to much. There current ranked guys Barnett, Maylor, Liegel are all seniors and the other 2 ranked guys Hamiti and Zargo are juniors. Basically none of the young talent has shown very much of anything besides Rivera and Condon and the recruits is extremely underwhelming. I mean for god sake Little Rock is currently ranked higher than Wisconsin and they also have 2 Wisconsin guy in their lineup. It is no disrespect to them, but how are they able to recruit and develop better as a still relatively new program than a established big 10 program like Wisconsin. There is 1 answer and it is Bono. He can't recruit well or develop well. 

At this point they should fire Bono and take a chance on Askren because it really can't get much worse and the potential upside could be huge for the program.