Iowa-Wisconsin

VakAttack

Meant to come back to this, because people were critiquing Arnold for only winning 8-6 against Liegel.

1.  He's a true freshman 

2. He's wrestling up a weight.

3.  It's his second ranked win at 184 despite, again, not being a 184 lber.

4.  It was only close because he was trying to get to a major.

38 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Meant to come back to this, because people were critiquing Arnold for only winning 8-6 against Liegel.

1.  He's a true freshman 

2. He's wrestling up a weight.

3.  It's his second ranked win at 184 despite, again, not being a 184 lber.

4.  It was only close because he was trying to get to a major.

This is something I've observed from the 3pt td that don't think we were expecting.  It looks like its going to be easy to get the major, wrestler pushes for it gives up 3 instead of getting 3 now in danger of losing.  Olejnik had similar today was at 7-0 with ~2 in riding time mid 2nd, coaches thinking tf have him cut doesn't get td so 7-1 start 3rd cuts again ends up no take down 8-2 loses the major going for the tech.  He could've easily road the kid entire 3rd to hold the major.  

6 hours ago, buckshot said:

What an accomplishment! They ducked at 125, beat unranked guys at 133 and 141 and then cried themselves to a victory at 149. Iowa wrestling is teaching today's youth to avoid tough matchups and then cheat to win if you're in trouble. It's no wonder they're dropping in the rankings and getting out-recruited. 

Psu barely wrestles a schedule.  Constantly on the fringe of barely making rpi.  When they duck people it’s Cale’s magic or prepping for an Olympic cycle.   It’s purely hypocritical on the blue colored glasses fans.   How many mid season duckers from psu wrestled at senior national als in December.   Remember when beard needed to see what wrestling at psu was like so Carl gifted him an easy win.   

if Ayala was sick.   Good for him.  If he wasn’t.  It was a duck.  See how hard that is.  I’m an Iowa fan and can admit maybe it was a duck.   Fun state fans can’t.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

If he could score 1 in 30s he should be able to score 2 in 60s.  

Its a moot point now since he lost, but  i whole heartly disagree with the strategy of getting 2 takedowns being easier than 1 escape and a td in that specific scenario.

Basically what youre saying is in your opinion Boni gave the right coaching strategy.

38 minutes ago, ionel said:

This is something I've observed from the 3pt td that don't think we were expecting.  It looks like its going to be easy to get the major, wrestler pushes for it gives up 3 instead of getting 3 now in danger of losing.  Olejnik had similar today was at 7-0 with ~2 in riding time mid 2nd, coaches thinking tf have him cut doesn't get td so 7-1 start 3rd cuts again ends up no take down 8-2 loses the major going for the tech.  He could've easily road the kid entire 3rd to hold the major.  

I agree.  I'm fine with this outcome, since it encourages action. 

30 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Its a moot point now since he lost, but  i whole heartly disagree with the strategy of getting 2 takedowns being easier than 1 escape and a td in that specific scenario.

Basically what youre saying is in your opinion Boni gave the right coaching strategy.

There's more math in play.  Your opponent evidently hurt his knee and may have trouble defending on his feet.  If you let him take top he can just go into a claw ride not use his knee and take 30/40 seconds off the clock leaving very little time to get a takedown and prob no chance of a stall call (one at most if backing up at end).  Go on feet have more than twice as much time to get takedowns also time to get 2 stall calls if only defending, favoring that leg and backing up.  Might even get lucky with feet to back.  If you moneyball this with all the probabilities of stall call, td, time etc you chose neutral.  Do I think Bono went thru all the math - no, but he made the right call by luck or intuition.  🙂

Edited by ionel

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

There's more math in play.  Your opponent evidently hurt his knee and may have trouble defending on his feet.  If you let him take top he can just go into a claw ride not use his knee and take 30/40 seconds off the clock leaving very little time to get a takedown and prob no chance of a stall call (one at most if backing up at end).  Go on feet have more than twice as much time to get takedowns also time to get 2 stall calls if only defending, favoring that leg and backing up.  Might even get lucky with feet to back.  If you moneyball this with all the probabilities of stall call, td, time etc you chose neutral.  Do I think Bono went thru all the math - no, but he made the right call by luck or intuition.  🙂

But he clearly DIDNT make the right call because Zargo ended up losing. I honestly think Bono was too busy screaming and fighting with the ref he lost his focus and made the wrong call, you think he made the right one and Zargo almost ended up getting majored because of it.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

4 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

But he clearly DIDNT make the right call because Zargo ended up losing. I honestly think Bono was too busy screaming and fighting with the ref he lost his focus and made the wrong call, you think he made the right one and Zargo almost ended up getting majored because of it.

No evidence Zargo wins with the other call and the math says less likely.  The screaming Bono doesn't affect the math.  

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

No evidence Zargo wins with the other call and the math says less likely.  The screaming Bono doesn't affect the math.  

Do you have spreadsheets to support this "math"? In my experience, it is more difficult to get 2 takedowns in 1 minute than it is to get an escape and a takedown. The other variables you mentioned like stallings and mistakes can all happen in both scenarios.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

14 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Do you have spreadsheets to support this "math"? In my experience, it is more difficult to get 2 takedowns in 1 minute than it is to get an escape and a takedown. The other variables you mentioned like stallings and mistakes can all happen in both scenarios.

Screenshot_20240218-202518_Chrome.jpg.eff30c4a80c6f041d9e244fbbac6f6f8.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rassling said:

125 was clearly a duck, so far.

8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Or he's sick.  That is a reasonable explanation.  I know we're supposed to always believe the worst, but it's not the only expectation.

Screenshot_20240218-205018_Chrome.jpg.45beffa1a9aabcf1b8fc0f84b3326fef.jpg