Beau Bartlett

NearFall

Is this year Beau Bartlett's last year of eligibility or does he have another year?

I ask because the Penn State roster lists him as a Senior this season yet WrestleStat has him listed as a Junior.   He has competed three seasons prior to this season (2021-2022-2023) in the Big Ten Championships.  And the extra "virus" year of eligibility was for the spring of 2020.  So as far as I can tell this should be his last year of eligibility.  Feel free to tell me how this is incorrect but try to be an adult about it if you would.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, NearFall said:

Is this year Beau Bartlett's last year of eligibility or does he have another year?

I ask because the Penn State roster lists him as a Senior this season yet WrestleStat has him listed as a Junior.   He has competed three seasons prior to this season (2021-2022-2023) in the Big Ten Championships.  And the extra "virus" year of eligibility was for the spring of 2020.  So as far as I can tell this should be his last year of eligibility.  Feel free to tell me how this is incorrect but try to be an adult about it if you would.  Thanks

2021 was the year that did not count against the eligibility clock. So Bartlett has one more year of eligibility left. His scenario is identical to Carter Starocci's in that they were unaffected by the Covid year, but got the benefit that some who were affected did not (Luke Pletcher, Vincenzo Joseph, Kollin Moore, Mark Hall, etc.)

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, NearFall said:

I'm sure you know more about it than I do.............BUT............it was the 2020 NCAA tournament that was cancelled and Bartlett was in High School in the spring of 2020.

The "free year" was 2021.

For anyone who was enrolled and competing in 2021. To include BB, who was a non-qualifier at 149 that year.

13 minutes ago, NearFall said:

I'm sure you know more about it than I do.............BUT............it was the 2020 NCAA tournament that was cancelled and Bartlett was in High School in the spring of 2020.

The 2020 season counted against eligibility even though there was no tournament. As a result the seniors in 2020 got screwed. By making 2021 the free year, the NCAA effectively took the 2020 seniors' eligibility and transferred it to high school seniors. Thus you have Starocci with the chance to win five NCAA titles instead of four. Which is bad enough, but it also means that, in spite of not having wrestled for the past two years AJ Ferrari still has a chance to be a four time winner, even though he is an all-time loser.

I can see why you would assume this would not be the case. It was one of the all-time worst decisions made by the NCAA, and there is a lot of competition for the title.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The 2020 season counted against eligibility even though there was no tournament. As a result the seniors in 2020 got screwed. By making 2021 the free year, the NCAA effectively took the 2020 seniors' eligibility and transferred it to high school seniors. Thus you have Starocci with the chance to win five NCAA titles instead of four. Which is bad enough, but it also means that, in spite of not having wrestled for the past two years AJ Ferrari still has a chance to be a four time winner, even though he is an all-time loser.

I can see why you would assume this would not be the case. It was one of the all-time worst decisions made by the NCAA, and there is a lot of competition for the title.

I disagree.  It comes out looking weird in retrospect, but at the time the NCAA was trying to make sure athletes (across all sports) would be willing to play their sport in 2020-2021.  The fear was that athletes would not enroll/play for fear that their season would be canceled if COVID numbers spiked.  This was the NCAA saying "go ahead and play, it won't affect your eligibility one way or the other. Free year!" 

I'm pretty sure the NCAA was concerned about football/basketball revenue if they didn't do this.

Could it have been tweaked a bit?  Yes, I'm sure. It doesn't help the Pat Lugos of the world, but it kept the NCAA going.

2 hours ago, NearFall said:

Wow you had me worried until I opened the thread. Glad all is well with the next 141 lb NCAA champ! 

3 minutes ago, MadChill said:

In his most recent interview on 2/13, Beau was asked directly about whether he would return next year.  He hasn't decided yet.  Starts at the 6:22 mark.

Having fun while kicking azz - consistent with the PSU studs before him!

On 2/15/2024 at 12:09 PM, MadChill said:

In his most recent interview on 2/13, Beau was asked directly about whether he would return next year.  He hasn't decided yet.  Starts at the 6:22 mark.

Yeah Basch and Willie discussed this.  They seem to think if he wins NCAA’s he might not come back.  IIRC they said he is getting married soon and his fiancé is no longer in school.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah Basch and Willie discussed this.  They seem to think if he wins NCAA’s he might not come back.  IIRC they said he is getting married soon and his fiancé is no longer in school.

NIL money might be a factor.

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

NIL money might be a factor.

Especially if that money is more than he would make fresh out of school  and/or made married life financially comfortable for that year. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Especially if that money is more than he would make fresh out of school  and/or made married life financially comfortable for that year. 

But there are things more important than money.

14 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

If you assume everyone listed as a senior has at least two years of eligibility remaining, you will usually be right. 

i'm so ready for this era to age out...

• Fire 3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."