OLY RS Loophole

Le duke

This came up on the Penn State board.

There are some people taking an Olympic RS this year. Whether or not they have “real” chances of making the team or not is irrelevant; you could say that there are only a handful of guys at each weight who do.

If you qualify for an Olympic RS but then don’t meet the criteria to qualify for the OTTs (or even try to meet them, such as entering Senior Nationals, US Open, go to U20/U23 and medal, or entering + win the last chance), your RS should be burned and that season of eligibility should go up in smoke. The rule is in place to help people who are actually trying to make an Olympic team.

Yes, this is about a very particular individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 2

Completely concur

I'm willing to bet a handful of kopeks that AJ Ferrari has no intention of qualifying for the Olympics. And yet he is using the O-shirt as a means of preserving eligibility that he burned because of his ass hat actions. It sickens me how many fans are stoked and support this decision. 

Edited by Mr. PeanutButter
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Completely concur

I'm willing to bet a handful of kopeks that AJ Ferrari has no intention of qualifying for the Olympics. And yet he is using the O-shirt as a means of preserving eligibility that he burned because of his ass hat actions. It sickens me how many fans are stoked and support this decision. 

who is stoked?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

5 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

A minority of posters on HR, xwitter, and reddit. 

Oh, and I'm guessing the chief bank roller behind HWC is probably on board with the decision 

was some sort of announcement made?

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

About what? The red shirt? AJ went on the clash of combat podcast and confirmed that he has an Olympic redshirt available. I suppose that's not an official announcement of intent but the fact that he has the option of preserving eligibility in the most phony bologna way is what's wrong with this system. 

AJ is just the most recent and egregious example of this loophole in action. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

About what? The red shirt? AJ went on the clash of combat podcast and confirmed that he has an Olympic redshirt available. I suppose that's not an official announcement of intent but the fact that he has the option of preserving eligibility in the most phony bologna way is what's wrong with this system. 

AJ is just the most recent and egregious example of this loophole in action. 

Thankfully its rare that someone who earns the level of national champion acts like such a fool.  I am personally not thinking this is a system issue, but more of a one off exception of how it sucks

11 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Thankfully its rare that someone who earns the level of national champion acts like such a fool.  I am personally not thinking this is a system issue, but more of a one off exception of how it sucks

its kinda funny when you think about how he's redshirting from nothing....

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Taking a break from not being enrolled.

For five minutes I realized what life would be like if I were, in any way, interesting. If I had anything to say for myself, if I did anything. But I didn't do anything. And in about 30 seconds she'd know and she'd be gone like a shot.

"So what do you do?"

"I'm sort of taking a bit of time off at the moment."

"Sounds good, yeah. Yeah. Time off from what?"

"To be absolutely honest, time off from time off, in fact. The interesting thing about me is I don't actually do anything."

"You don't do anything?

"Actually, no. Nothing. Nope.

"Wow. That's...

"Now, Rachel, darling. East Coast or West Coast rap? I have absolutely no..."

There. She was gone. There was no more to say

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Le duke said:

This came up on the Penn State board.

There are some people taking an Olympic RS this year. Whether or not they have “real” chances of making the team or not is irrelevant; you could say that there are only a handful of guys at each weight who do.

If you qualify for an Olympic RS but then don’t meet the criteria to qualify for the OTTs (or even try to meet them, such as entering Senior Nationals, US Open, go to U20/U23 and medal, or entering + win the last chance), your RS should be burned and that season of eligibility should go up in smoke. The rule is in place to help people who are actually trying to make an Olympic team.

Yes, this is about a very particular individual.

Ive been thinking about this for awhile. 

such a stupid thing. ORS when you didn't compete once. he's not even qualified for the trials and did nothing to attempt to qualify.

if he (or anyone in this position) doesn't even wrestle, the ORS year shouldn't be granted. such a ruse. 

• Fire 6

TBD

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is Alex Facundo qualified for OTT’s?  

edit: just found it, apparently he is

Well he did take third at Senior Nationals, didn't he?  Outplaced that Turdbiscuit Berger (even beating him).

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Question... let's say someone is qualified for an Oly-shirt, yet they get injured in the process?

6 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

who is stoked?

People who support Iowa.

Not all of them... hell... it is likely a minority... but there are many there.

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Even if he were not he at least attempted to be by entering Sr. Nationals whereas Ferrari has made no attempt to qualify.

Sure, and kudos to him for trying and qualifying, but everyone knows he’s only taking an ORS because he wasn’t going to start.  Seems weird if PSU fans are complaining about loopholes created by ORS’s

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I’d believe the “chief bank roller” comment.  The fact that he is still in IC leads me to believe that he is being paid to be there (at least in free housing, unless maybe they had to give him 30 days notice or something)

Edited by 1032004

Curious if they entered the caveat that someone must weigh-in at an Olympic qualifying event as a requirement if that would be an apt next step forward...

Mind you, that doesn't mean that they have to wrestle at that event... just weight in.

AJ gets people talking regardless if you hate him or like him. Others have done the same as he's doing and I don't remember anyone saying anything.  And just because you take an ORS doesn't mean you can't take classes 

Not sure why anyone would be stressing about this.  

What are the chances Ferrari actually exhausts all of his collegiate eligibility, without doing something so colossally stupid that he's once again out of the sport? 

I'd say about the same as his chances of qualifying for the Olympics.  

What is the real purpose of the ORS anyway?  I agree that AJ is abusing the system, but does anyone with a shot of making the team even use it anymore? For example, Spencer didn't take one and I don't think Yianni did either.  It seems the guys with Oly goals would rather exhaust their eligibility so they can focus on their Freestyle career than use the ORS to extend their Folk careers.    That could be the impact of having an extra covid year, too.

Even this year, the guys with the brightest freestyle potential are not using them (Vito, Fix,O'Toole, Carr, Star and AB).  Heck I thought I heard Star is going to try 74KG but is wrestling a folk style season 10 LBs higher.  (Side note, how funny would it of been if Fix used his and then competed in next years NCAAs at 27 with eligibility)

Counter point would probably be Micic who might of used 2 ORS (?) so it may have a purpose.  I don't know that the ORS had an actual impact on him being successful in Freestyle, but at least there is a guy who took one and had success.

Id love to have someone who actually knows how the process of applying for redshirts post an answer. My understanding from a conversation with a HC years ago was that redshirts are always applied for retroactively be they standard, medical, or Oly. Once eligibility would be otherwise exhausted, prior to that next season, said school applies for appropriate redshirt with appropriate documentation and then the NCAA grants or denies the application based on documentation provided.

If that is all true (again, just my understanding), then it’s totally possible the NCAA could deny someone’s application for Oly shirt if they can’t provide the necessary proof that it is deserved. Typical AJ, he probably has not even applied (which school applied for him?) nor been officially approved. 

AJ gets people talking regardless if you hate him or like him. Others have done the same as he's doing and I don't remember anyone saying anything.  And just because you take an ORS doesn't mean you can't take classes 

Who else took an Olympic RS without being qualified or trying to qualify for OTTs?

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I’d believe the “chief bank roller” comment.  The fact that he is still in IC leads me to believe that he is being paid to be there (at least in free housing, unless maybe they had to give him 30 days notice or something)

he's in florida now apparently