Flo Disaster!

PortaJohn

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

I was running a small local event. I usually check the tiles to see if data is getting through. It was.

A friend who was also running something near by texted me noticing the brackets weren't updating. Neither were mine. I checked with the guy running Vegas and he knew and knew that Flo was working on it. The problem was entirely online as I could see scores were attempting to send and rejected by the arena. It caught up at one point and then went down again. I left my event and brought my server machine here and let it keep trying while I was doing something else. It took quite a while to finish and be received.

Can you dumb this down for me?  Where do you think the problem was?  Does Flo deserve to be flamed?

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Stop holding their hands and let them learn.

What?? I'm paying $200 for this and would hope that I can view the content without having to constantly adjust to Flo's deficiencies. (I know how to change browsers) And that's without mentioning the real issue, which is absolutely dreadful technical and aesthetic production. If there was any actual competition, they'd be OOB very quickly.

• Fire 6

5 hours ago, Major Kong said:

What?? I'm paying $200 for this and would hope that I can view the content without having to constantly adjust to Flo's deficiencies. (I know how to change browsers) And that's without mentioning the real issue, which is absolutely dreadful technical and aesthetic production. If there was any actual competition, they'd be OOB very quickly.

If they had any pride in their work at all, they'd have already died of shame.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Can you dumb this down for me?  Where do you think the problem was?  Does Flo deserve to be flamed?

Online Flo was having problems receiving the data from us. The software was working just fine in the gym. As we were getting to the placewinners to hand out medals, I told them to look at the brackets (not realizing online was behind again) to announce places. After a while they got back to me so I logged them into the local and they started announcing right away. I'm not sure if the team score was having the same issues or not. I didn't look at that.

Not sure if they were getting overwhelmed as more and more events are going Flo rather than track. The first weekend in December was always a big one for tournaments. I know that they are looking to update things as they merge the platforms eventually.

The computer/tablet/phone, operating system, software are merely tools.  In this case, tools to watch wrestling matches.  
Like I always say when I go to Home Depot to buy a hammer, I don't care what steel the head is made from, how it's heat treated, whether its cast, forged, machined, etc, etc.  I'm only interested in driving nails, and occasionally pulling nails.  I can trust that that hammer will drive steel, aluminum, brass nails.  I'm sure I can even persuade stubborn fasteners with it.
Yes, I realize that there are different hammers for different purposes and that a computer is much more complicated than a hammer, etc, etc, but the concept still applies.  Expecting your customer to do your engineering for you is BS.  IMO, Whoever accepts money from the end customer is ultimately responsible for the product meeting the customer's expectations and requirements.
For F*#ks sake if you filled your car up with gas and a mile down the road it quit running and it was because your car is a Honda and that gas only works for Fords and Chevys (maybe...we're not really sure because we didn't test that, that's our customers' responsibility), you would not be happy.
At least that's the way it was in my 40+ years of Engineering.

• Fire 5

2 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

The computer/tablet/phone, operating system, software are merely tools.  In this case, tools to watch wrestling matches.  
Like I always say when I go to Home Depot to buy a hammer, I don't care what steel the head is made from, how it's heat treated, whether its cast, forged, machined, etc, etc.  I'm only interested in driving nails, and occasionally pulling nails.  I can trust that that hammer will drive steel, aluminum, brass nails.  I'm sure I can even persuade stubborn fasteners with it.
Yes, I realize that there are different hammers for different purposes and that a computer is much more complicated than a hammer, etc, etc, but the concept still applies.  Expecting your customer to do your engineering for you is BS.  IMO, Whoever accepts money from the end customer is ultimately responsible for the product meeting the customer's expectations and requirements.
For F*#ks sake if you filled your car up with gas and a mile down the road it quit running and it was because your car is a Honda and that gas only works for Fords and Chevys (maybe...we're not really sure because we didn't test that, that's our customers' responsibility), you would not be happy.

And even worse is when their stuff doesn't work properly with their own app and thus have to use the brower.

By the way, how often do you have to go to Home Depot to buy a hammer?  If it were a Rokfin hammer you'd have to pay extra each time you wanted to use it, they'd prob charge double for pulling nails.  😞

• Fire 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ionel said:

And even worse is when their stuff doesn't work properly with their own app and thus have to use the brower.

By the way, how often do you have to go to Home Depot to buy a hammer?  If it were a Rokfin hammer you'd have to pay extra each time you wanted to use it, they'd prob charge double for pulling nails.  😞

With the Flo hammer, the head flies off every 30 seconds and either gets you in the balls or lands on your toes.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, Jason Bryant said:

I can’t get arena to load on brave on my iPhone. I have to use Safari.

I can’t get it to load on Brave, Chrome, or Firefox on windows desktop (tried my personal and work laptops). I noticed this has happened since at least the Farrell, but florarena does function as expected on iPhone Chrome mobile for me.

i am an idiot on the internet

6 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

It’s too bad Flo’s headquartered in Austin, TX. It’s not like that city is rife with engineering quality out the wazoo with experience across start-up, post start-up, and fully BAU digital organizations.

Edited by bnwtwg
Autocorrect

5 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It’s too bad Flo’s headquartered in Austin, TX. It’s not like that city is rife with engineering quality out the wazoo with experience across start-up, post start-up, and fully BAU digital organizations.

Any decent engineering manager could hire a contract team in India and completely rewrite their entire stack in a year.

The biggest challenge would likely be trying to find engineers who could understand and translate Flo's codebase from the native COBOL.

Edited by Mike Parrish
  • Haha 1
  • Stalling 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Any decent engineering manager could hire a contract team in India and completely rewrite their entire stack in a year.

The biggest challenge would likely be trying to find engineers who could understand and translate Flo's codebase from the native COBOL.

What’s wrong with COBOL? You don’t like the beautiful linear AS400 green text prompts?!

2 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I don't want dot matrix!
I'm a daisy wheel man!

For the first time in a long time I am very proud to say that I’m *only* 40 and had to google what that was because I am too young to know what you were talking about. Thanking you for making my day - my hips, back, and at least one shoulder thank you!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

For the first time in a long time I am very proud to say that I’m *only* 40 and had to google what that was because I am too young to know what you were talking about. Thanking you for making my day - my hips, back, and at least one shoulder thank you!

Don't worry, it gets easier as you get older... 😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

And... There it is.