Flo Disaster!

PortaJohn

35 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Don't worry, it gets easier as you get older... 😉

Thats why I run marathons now. My 100% all-out is slower than smoke off wet shit but I’m consistently not as slow as everyone else!

i am an idiot on the internet

59 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Any decent engineering manager could hire a contract team in India and completely rewrite their entire stack in a year.

The biggest challenge would likely be trying to find engineers who could understand and translate Flo's codebase from the native COBOL.

I know almost zero about the software biz (thank God), but in my playpen projects were led by a Project Manager.  He/She was responsible for the design, analysis, and *TESTING* of the product or component per the documented, agreed upon, and signed off on requirements.  That's how the varsity squad used to do it.  No personnel management per se.
Of course this was before everything was outsourced to every corner of the planet, resulting in total lack of control.  I once worked for a large, super-precision machine tool builder who somehow decided that it made sense to outsource component manufacturing and assembly to another country.  I said... Great, yesterday they were generating their electricity with an ox walking in a circle and today they're building precision machines.  I left very shortly after that.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I can’t get it to load on Brave, Chrome, or Firefox on windows desktop (tried my personal and work laptops). I noticed this has happened since at least the Farrell, but florarena does function as expected on iPhone Chrome mobile for me.

Did FLO customer service ask you to delete cookies? 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ionel said:

So what about a Half Ironman Triathlon, you are a swimmer, no?

I did triathlon relays. I would do the swim and pass the timer anklet to the cyclists and then meet the cyclist and runner at the finish line.

The worst part of the Chicago Triathlon is that is it is about a quarter mile run from the swim exit to the bike racks. One year I had a shoulder injury, so most of my training was with a kick board. I leaned heavily on my kick during the swim that year to the point that my ass cramped up on the run to the bike racks.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I did triathlon relays. I would do the swim and pass the timer anklet to the cyclists and then meet the cyclist and runner at the finish line.

The worst part of the Chicago Triathlon is that is it is about a quarter mile run from the swim exit to the bike racks. One year I had a shoulder injury, so most of my training was with a kick board. I leaned heavily on my kick during the swim that year to the point that my ass cramped up on the run to the bike racks.

Maybe you just needed to run/go further.  Couple friends of mine that weren't as fast marathon found more success in ultras.  One that I bike with every week competed in Deca Ultratriathlon World Championship in Switzerland last August:  24, 1,120, 262 mi swim, bike, run, finished 1st age group 5th overall, 9 days 23 hours.  Sound fun?  

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

Maybe you just needed to run/go further.  Couple friends of mine that weren't as fast marathon found more success in ultras.  One that I bike with every week competed in Deca Ultratriathlon World Championship in Switzerland last August:  24, 1,120, 262 mi swim, bike, run, finished 1st age group 5th overall, 9 days 23 hours.  Sound fun?  

You misspelled miserable.

• Haha 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I put my Yiannis on the table last race when things went haywire and required digging deep into the well and I’ll be sure to send a couple pics from Boston on April 17 as a direct result of wrestling motivation. FloSports won’t be there because it will be covered by a legit media company covering a niche sport so if you miss the broadcast you will be stuck with me being “that guy” (again)

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I put my Yiannis on the table last race when things went haywire and required digging deep into the well and I’ll be sure to send a couple pics from Boston on April 17 as a direct result of wrestling motivation. FloSports won’t be there because it will be covered by a legit media company covering a niche sport so if you miss the broadcast you will be stuck with me being “that guy” (again)

As I had been told many times, the key to Boston is to enjoy it. It's not a race as much as it's an awesome event. Superbowl level event. Can't just sign up for it - it's one that you have to earn to be a part of. 

The fast runners (world caliber) will be situated in corrals well ahead of the middle and slower runners' corrals. Makes for a smooth marathon for everyone.

Nice job bnwtwg, sounds like you qualified.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

As I had been told many times, the key to Boston is to enjoy it. It's not a race as much as it's an awesome event. Superbowl level event. Can't just sign up for it - it's one that you have to earn to be a part of. 

The fast runners (world caliber) will be situated in corrals well ahead of the middle and slower runners' corrals. Makes for a smooth marathon for everyone.

Nice job bnwtwg, sounds like you qualified.

Can confirm that Boston sucks. It's brutally technical and every first-timer blows up from the downhill start unless they are treating it as a long-run victory lap. I'm just aiming to finish under 2:50. FWIW every race I have run with Kipchoge, he has set a world record... maybe he goes for the course record in Hopkinton?!

• Fire 2