Is Askren Wrestling Academy (AWA) the new Young Guns?

In the past the Young Guns Wrestling Club supplied Penn State and Iowa with their best wrestlers (Spencer Lee, Kemerer, Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Nico Megaludis, Josh Shields, Josh Maruca, Jimmy Gulibon, etc).

But now is AWA taking over with guys like Keagen O'Toole, Mitchel Mesenbrink and the Mirasola twins?

I believe the answer is yes.  Whichever school can tap into the AWA pipeline will maintain dominance for the next decade.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

In the past the Young Guns Wrestling Club supplied Penn State and Iowa with their best wrestlers (Spencer Lee, Kemerer, Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Nico Megaludis, Josh Shields, Josh Maruca, Jimmy Gulibon, etc).

But now is AWA taking over with guys like Keagen O'Toole, Mitchel Mesenbrink and the Mirasola twins?

I believe the answer is yes.  Whichever school can tap into the AWA pipeline will maintain dominance for the next decade.

If it were only those 4 guys I would say no, but I can't even list them all. Add PARKER KECKIESEN, Mocco, Whitting,,G. Clark, Scoles, Millard, noah mulvaney and Sinclair who just may be the best of the group, and probably 20 more 

Edited by Ivan Stankowski

Did Young Guns have multiple locations?  A lot of people from outside Wisconsin don't understand that AWA has like 5-6 different gyms all run by different coaches.  Parker Keckeisen, the Mirasolas, Charlie Millard, and many more were primarily coached by Max Askren in Mequon (just north of Milwaukee County).  AWA now has a top-ranked Illinois high school wrestler as well training out of their South Suburban location.  It's more of a chain/franchise at this point than one singular "super room".

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Did Young Guns have multiple locations?  A lot of people from outside Wisconsin don't understand that AWA has like 5-6 different gyms all run by different coaches.  Parker Keckeisen, the Mirasolas, Charlie Millard, and many more were primarily coached by Max Askren in Mequon (just north of Milwaukee County).  AWA now has a top-ranked Illinois high school wrestler as well training out of their South Suburban location.  It's more of a chain/franchise at this point than one singular "super room".

Yes, it does.  There are like 4 locations.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Uh, the Josh's went a little further west than Iowa City.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

As long as Askren can pump em out, Mizzou will keep taking them. We’ve not got all of them, but the ones we’ve gotten have been great. Personally, I can’t wait for Sinclair to step on campus. 

• Fire 1

Minnesota Elite, coached by Chad Erickson and Dakota Trom, have a lot of the top MN high school kids too.  Robideau(s), Bissel(s), and Friedrichs brothers, Alex Braun, Logan Swenson.

Edited by MNRodent

On 1/22/2024 at 1:29 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I know a lot of these guys probably spent time at more than 1 club. Cenzo being one of them. I will always consider him one of Abe's guys at Pitbull though. I know he wrestled there through youth and into high school. Then went to Central Catholic where Abe was head coach. Another one of Abe's guys Nino claimed a title last year. 

I know a lot of these guys probably spent time at more than 1 club. Cenzo being one of them. I will always consider him one of Abe's guys at Pitbull though. I know he wrestled there through youth and into high school. Then went to Central Catholic where Abe was head coach. Another one of Abe's guys Nino claimed a title last year. 

and especially Coach Waller at All-American, who doesn't get much credit for the success of these guys. His room was filled with studs where he ground the toughness into anyone that entered...or they never came back. Most of these guys were winning at the highest age levels already before they got to Young Guns. Maybe the personality change is what they were after but the pure wrestling base was instilled at All-American(and yes Pitbull). The WPIAL used to dominate Powerade against the other best schools from around the country with multiple champs each year. WPIAL I believe only produced 1 champ this year,sad. Coach Waller is still a beast without the bling.