Breaking on the mat

49 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Ohhh I’ve been there before for sure….. generally happens in the room and it is not fun.

This right here.  College coach was feeling frisky one mid-January practice in a year where I was a bit mentally fragile from pulling too much weight.  45 minute grind match.  That was not fun.  

3 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Ohhh I’ve been there before for sure….. generally happens in the room and it is not fun.

Yes I have experienced it in the room, probably the worst was being 3 4 years out of competition then jumping into a full college practice I thought I was going to need help to my car after lol but never in competition ever 

12 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He took his hands off of him a few times and looked at the ref. But the whistle got swallowed. Pretty small in the scheme of things really.

I was watching. He should have kicked him earlier and pressured him for the DQ...

9 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

This right here.  College coach was feeling frisky one mid-January practice in a year where I was a bit mentally fragile from pulling too much weight.  45 minute grind match.  That was not fun.  

Had a sadistic coach who was in a group of 3 with me and this other freshman first semester: one man got stay in on top for 15 minutes (?) of 30~60 sec goes. That jackass got in on top, threw legs and just chked the shit out of both of us for the whole time. We both broke. F*@# that guy. What were we supposed to do? Fight him? 

Re breaking: I have always thought that mental collapses in later rounds of Grand Slam tennis were the most compelling to watch. The kind of doubts that take hold in 30 sec in a wrestling match, slowly creep in over an hour long set played. Slowly, you see "COMEON!!" become "Reset" become "Let me get the next one please" become "AREYOUKIDDINGME!" become "uncle" become "I hate myself and want to die." Add to the stress the fact that in tennis you don't know when you will finally get put out of your misery if you keep trying. Years of work for your therapist after dropping a match when you were up 2 sets to none. 

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1

People talking about getting broken by their coaches frosh year being stuck underneath...

Nothing more humbling than being invited to work out with college guys while you're still in high school and catching a beating. Not everyone is Bo Bassett or Cary Kolat and your ego drops 1,000 points leaving you questioning if you ever want to wrestle again REAL quick. Take a guess how I very quickly learned humility and found out I wasn't a special snowflake 🤣🤣

i am an idiot on the internet

Has Mesenbrink been breaking Haines at practice or what? Levi hasn't looked like Levi.

Injured last season, surgery during the summer, then injured again before NWCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

After watching the 2 matches mentioned here, the officiating was strange. It seems the refs would benefit from counting a stall warning aloud to the tired wrestler. If the hands are on him he gets a 4 or 5 count to get to his feet and if they're not he gets a 2-3 count. There seemed to be a real gray area between stalling, escapes, releases and takedowns in both matches. I'll also submit Gilman vs Lizak and this great reminder of Iowa Style.

IMG_0374.jpg