The Croatia (Zagreb) Open Ranking Series Tournament

I must have missed something at the end of the first there, because since about 30S to go in the first, Zare has been mean AF and unrelenting.

He controls center so well against this giant.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Zare bores me. He's the Sam Stoll of Freestyle. 

Except he beats legitimately everybody on the planet.

• Fire 1

ACTUAL TAKEDOWN ATTEMPT BY MASOUMI!!

Go-behind by Zare.  Up 5-0 with 29S to go.

I see why he didn't try to shoot on Parris now.

There's all the cheap shit that we're used to seeing from Masoumi.

He was respectful in his other matches, especially Parris... but with Zare he is a mega-douche.

• Fire 1

Snyder looking all stoic with the Ben Stiller 'I can't cry' look on his face at the medal ceremony.

I still take Snyder 10 of 10 times at Worlds.

• Fire 4

23 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

Another loss for Snyder. This really makes me doubt how he can stack up against Tazhudinov and some of the best at 97kg. I'd think he has a good shot to medal in Paris, but gold is going to be tough.

I agree, I’m worried. I think that Snyder’s match with Taz, has him thinking that he needs to wear his opponent down before unleashing his offense. My thoughts is that he needs to work on his chest lock and leg attack defense, while continuing to be a remorseless attacker. I also wonder if Snyder is now getting reeled in by the younger guys in 97. I believe that Snyder is going to have to make some adjustments and improvements if he’s going to be on the medal stand in Paris. 

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, de4856 said:

I agree, I’m worried. I think that Snyder’s match with Taz, has him thinking that he needs to wear his opponent down before unleashing his offense. My thoughts is that he needs to work on his chest lock and leg attack defense, while continuing to be a remorseless attacker....

I agree with your first two statements. In fact, the result against Taz would've caused me to decide to wear down my elite opponents before unleashing my offense. It makes logical sense. 

As for chest lock defense, I think that's basically physics. Snyder will always be heavy for the weight, but he's not too tall, and that means he has a center of gravity that is much closer to the actual chest lock and therefore easier to throw over. What exactly is a chest lock defense? Maybe finish his takedowns quicker or at a better angle? Cheers!

NOTE: I don't know **** about physics. 

• Fire 2

21 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

What exactly is a chest lock defense? Maybe finish his takedowns quicker or at a better angle? Cheers!

I agree with finishing his leg attacks better, but I think he’s been vulnerable to the chest lock, if you look at his Olympic finals against Sads, he got chest locked and got behind in that match. With Taz he really got rolled up. I also think he got chest locked in his repechage match at last year’s world. So maybe the best counter to a chest lock is a cleaner shot. But I have to think that there’s additional things he can do. 

• Fire 1

A scouting trip for Snyder - I love how he tests himself more than most of our top guys. I think many of our guys wrestle too little these days. He'll be better against the Iranian the next time.

Tad is a whole 'nother problem for Snyder and everyone.

• Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

4 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

That's the system. You don't have to wrestle to win matches. I'm not knocking the strategy because the rules allow it, but you absolutely don't have to attempt a single offensive move if you hold center and push.

I'll hear an argument that underhooking and pushing are offensive, but then I get to argue which definition of offensive we're using. 

Honestly, I don’t take issue with it. It’s action and creates situations for scoring. I can also understand not liking it though. Big men pushing hard, running legs, and clinching while standing upright gets me excited to see what may come next. 

2 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

A scouting trip for Snyder - I love how he tests himself more than most of our top guys. I think many of our guys wrestle too little these days. He'll be better against the Iranian the next time.

Perhaps, but when you look at Taylor, Dake, and even Burroughs, and the success that they have had with their limited competition, I wonder if the mystery of the SnyderMan isn’t a mystery anymore because of his schedule. I honestly think that at this point Snyder needs some sort of plan to make some adjustments and implements. 

3 hours ago, de4856 said:

Perhaps, but when you look at Taylor, Dake, and even Burroughs, and the success that they have had with their limited competition

I mean I know I'm just jumping in here, but in the last nine years only one of the four has nine medals, seven finals, four gold.

• Fire 1