Coaching tree - success against your wrestlers/assistants who become coaches

AgaveMaria

Watching Oklahoma State vs Wyoming and thought I heard John Smith was something like 24 or 26 to one in winning against his former athletes/assistants who become coaches. Pretty good record.

How about Gable and others?

Anyone have statistics showing how various head coaches do when facing their own guys who are now coaches in dual competition?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I mean guys like Gable and Smith didn’t/don’t lose much in general…

Pat Pop can beat Smith in a couple weeks however…

Are there even many active “trees”?  Meaning the guy they wrestled/coached under is still active?  I’d guess Gable has the most branches.  Cael basically killed the tree he grew from :-).  And it seems like a lot of other current coaches took over after their tree retired.

We will have the Tom Borelli quad in a few weeks though with CMU against Campbell, American and Bakersfield.

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Cael basically killed the tree he grew from 🙂

This is going to upset @Interviewed_at_Weehawken but no he didn't.  Molinaro, Cenzo, and Hall are all on other coaching staffs.  It has much more to do with a) many of his elite wrestlers are still competing (b) a lot of the top wrestlers (from all programs) have found other avenues in life to make money when in the past coaching seemed to be the only option.  In the past guys like Taylor, Burroughs, Dake, Steveson, Nickal, etc etc were almost forced into coaching but fortunately thats not the case today

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

18 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

This is going to upset @Interviewed_at_Weehawken but no he didn't.  Molinaro, Cenzo, and Hall are all on other coaching staffs.  It has much more to do with a) many of his elite wrestlers are still competing (b) a lot of the top wrestlers (from all programs) have found other avenues in life to make money when in the past coaching seemed to be the only option.  In the past guys like Taylor, Burroughs, Dake, Steveson, Nickal, etc etc were almost forced into coaching but fortunately thats not the case today

Agreed, that’s why Cael doesn’t really have his own tree yet.

But I was talking about Bobby Douglas.

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I mean guys like Gable and Smith didn’t/don’t lose much in general…

Pat Pop can beat Smith in a couple weeks however…

Are there even many active “trees”?  Meaning the guy they wrestled/coached under is still active?  I’d guess Gable has the most branches.  Cael basically killed the tree he grew from :-).  And it seems like a lot of other current coaches took over after their tree retired.

We will have the Tom Borelli quad in a few weeks though with CMU against Campbell, American and Bakersfield.

Pop has beaten Oklahoma St before iirc

22 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Watching Oklahoma State vs Wyoming and thought I heard John Smith was something like 24 or 26 to one in winning against his former athletes/assistants who become coaches. Pretty good record.

How about Gable and others?

Anyone have statistics showing how various head coaches do when facing their own guys who are now coaches in dual competition?

Pretty sure Koll is 0-1 against Mike Grey...

• Fire 1

Do you think that certain coaches play the long game and see their athletes and assts as future rivals? I ask bc I remember an old interview with Alan Fried where he talked about showing up at OSU and feeling that Smith was his rival. Obviously, the rivalry never panned out bc I think they only wrestled the one time, and Fried -- prone to some bizarre thoughts -- might have imagined the friction; but, I wouldn't put it past Smith to keep the guy at arm's length. 

Idk, maybe this is why Smith hirers idolators. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

@Wrestleknownothing or @Jason Bryant, curious if there’s a list of current D1 coaches by alma mater?

I’m sure Iowa is probably the most, I’d guess followed by OSU, but not sure after that.  Cornell could be up there with Grey, Nickerson and Leen

Not sure I got it exactly right, as the list I started with was a couple of years old. But here is my list of schools with more than 2 alumni as head coaches. For coaches that transferred when competing, I gave credit to both schools.

I was surprised to see that Michigan &  Oklahoma only had one each.

image.png.f3f0647c6dc1cf1408b64308f7e19273.png

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

@Wrestleknownothing or @Jason Bryant, curious if there’s a list of current D1 coaches by alma mater?

I’m sure Iowa is probably the most, I’d guess followed by OSU, but not sure after that.  Cornell could be up there with Grey, Nickerson and Leen

I have nothing, sorry.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge