The Efficient Eight

Wrestleknownothing

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Wasn't there a time where the last criteria for a tire breaker was a coin flip? Maybe I'm confusing this with pro sports that had a coin flip the  final tie breaker for a playoff spot.

From 1976 to 1992 there was criteria to determine the winner of overtime bouts ending in a tie score, but I have no idea what the criteria were. Perhaps the last was a coin flip.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Wasn't there a time where the last criteria for a tire breaker was a coin flip? Maybe I'm confusing this with pro sports that had a coin flip the  final tie breaker for a playoff spot.

Ref's decision was the final tie breaker for individual matches.  I saw it one time in person.  

Coin flip is still the final criteria (criteria q) for determining tied high school duals.  I would guess that something similar exists in college, though I havent checked a rulebook in about 20 years.

HS- last criteria is flip a disc

College-

Section 21. Breaking Ties in Dual Meets and
Team-Advancement Tournaments
When two teams finish in a tie in a dual meet or a team-advancement
tournament, the following criteria shall be applied to determine a winner:
a.    Greater number of victories.
Note: Forfeits, defaults and disqualifications count toward total number of victories.
b.    Combined total number of falls, forfeits, defaults and disqualifications.
c.    Total match points scored only from decisions, major decisions and
technical falls.
d.    Total near fall points scored only from decisions, major decisions and
technical falls. (Example: N-2 + N-3 + N-4 = Total of 9 near fall points
scored for one team.)
e.    Total number of takedowns scored only from decisions, major decisions
and technical falls. (Example: T-3 + T-3 + T-3 = Total of 3 takedowns
scored for one team.)
f.    Least number of unsportsmanlike conduct calls.
g.    First takedown scored in the dual meet.
One team point shall be awarded to the team winning by criteria. The method
of recording the score in breaking team ties shall be the score followed by the
criterion number that broke the tie (for example, Team A 17, Team B 16,
criterion 3.21.a.).

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Ref's decision was the final tie breaker for individual matches.  I saw it one time in person.  

at Weehawken?

But sometimes you have to wait a day or so to be sure who won or lost, correct?  🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

From 1976 to 1992 there was criteria to determine the winner of overtime bouts ending in a tie score, but I have no idea what the criteria were. Perhaps the last was a coin flip.

In that time period OT only happened in tournament matches as well. Dual matches that were tied at the end of regulation were scored as draw. For some reason this was exceedingly rare. I am sure I was never in a dual meet tie and don't remember any teammate either ever having a tie

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Coin flip is still the final criteria (criteria q) for determining tied high school duals.  I would guess that something similar exists in college, though I havent checked a rulebook in about 20 years.

Didn't Lee Kemp loss in NCAAs final as a FR to a ref's decision and that was the only thing preventing him being a 4Xer

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Didn't Lee Kemp loss in NCAAs final as a FR to a ref's decision and that was the only thing preventing him being a 4Xer

34 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yep, controversial refs decision as well I believe. 

It was a split ref's decision. So, yeah probably some controversy.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

In that time period OT only happened in tournament matches as well. Dual matches that were tied at the end of regulation were scored as draw. For some reason this was exceedingly rare. I am sure I was never in a dual meet tie and don't remember any teammate either ever having a tie

I have one career tie.  7-7.  Started out down by 6-7 points and then my gas tank kicked in.  Still, a very empty feeling.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, Jim L said:

To continue to take this thread completely off topic, Angle famously won gold medals in the 1996 Olympics and 1995 Worlds on a referee's decision.

I like the direction this is going. 

When I first read that there was a time when the ref decided the winner I thought, "wait, is this ice dancing? Or wrestling?"

Now I am getting more curious about the history of the RD amd SRD. In the Kemp situation was the reasoning that Kemp had plenty more time to win more, so lets give it to the other guy? What caused the rule change away from RDs? Was there a precipitating event or was it a long period of discontent and discussion?

Who can answer my questions?

38 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When I first read that there was a time when the ref decided the winner I thought, "wait, is this ice dancing? Or wrestling?"

Now I am getting more curious about the history of the RD amd SRD. In the Kemp situation was the reasoning that Kemp had plenty more time to win more, so lets give it to the other guy? What caused the rule change away from RDs? Was there a precipitating event or was it a long period of discontent and discussion?

Let's put the Efficient Eight debate to rest.

borat-rome-red-carpet-04.jpg

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I have heard that their was a general sentiment of let's give the W to the senior over the FR, because this is his last chance

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Jim L said:

I have heard that their was a general sentiment of let's give the W to the senior over the FR, because this is his last chance

Yagla beat Kemp in ‘75 and won again in ‘76. Kemp went up a weight in ‘76 to get his 1st title. 

• Fire 1