Any of You Left Wing Morons Have An Electric Car?

Husker_Du

11 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

the scandanavian countries that most of the bleeding heart left ***duck duck goose**tards always point to as the pinnacle of civilization are abandoning renewables and going to nuclear. 

While Germany is switching off nuclear dependency... another of the pinnacles of civilization.

It's almost like you can't make any sense of it at all other than to blame the left like a bad episode of Fox News.

But don't stop trying.

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

What makes you think the power companies will suddenly change their stripes and become 'good guys' when we are all even that much more dependent on them?

"Go back to nuclear" ... "but different"? What would 'different' nuclear look like? Fusion would be great, but we're not close to that yet. 

Your ideas are fine. Ideas are good. Keep at it.

But don't forget that ideas put out for public review do have to at least pass the most basic critical thinking tests if you expect anything but a negative response.

Granted, power/utility companies have incentive to do things that are mandated by law. If those changed, there could be a boone as far as upgrading the grid at a parallel clip to the adoption of EVs, solar, wind, thermal, tidal power etc. But ya, they kinda suck at present. Like oil companies, they have incentive to keep things the way they are because it can be planned for. Status quo is reliably profitable. 

Other nuclear: what i meant was MSRs(Molten Salt Reactors). They can made much smaller, with less chance of catastrophic meltdown/accidents. Kinda cool idea that's been around for decades. Might be worth looking in to. 

The NIMBY crowd will always be loud. But ideas that can be a benefit should be pursued vigorously. I'll keep it up.

“A more active peak in solar activity could create disruptions on Earth: If large solar storms smash into our planet they can cause radio blackouts, damage power infrastructure, irradiate airline passengers and astronauts and knock out GPS and internet satellites  —some of which could actually fall from the sky.

Thousands of sunspots cover the sun in a time-lapse image for the first six months of 2023

Thousands of sunspots cover the sun in a time-lapse image for the first six months of 2023

A more active solar maximum therefore poses a "larger hazard for these critical technologies and services," NOAA representatives wrote in their updated forecast.“

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scientists-finally-acknowledge-got-solar-171327755.html

31 minutes ago, ionel said:

Right, they aren’t going nuclear.  They haven’t built a new nuclear plant in 30 years and have no plan to do so.  More importantly, they aren’t abandoning the renewable resources that the “left ***duck duck goose**tards” crave.

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Right, they aren’t going nuclear.  They haven’t built a new nuclear plant in 30 years and have no plan to do so.  More importantly, they aren’t abandoning the renewable resources that the “left ***duck duck goose**tards” crave.

• In 2023 Sweden replaced its energy target of '100% renewable' electricity by 2040 with '100% fossil-free' electricity allowing the government to push forward with plans for new nuclear plants.

Sure no one knows what politicians might do but ... maybe there's a chance?

Germans...  There was a BMW 750li-hybrid for local sale recently. The car was listed at about $15,000 less than KBB and had a comment that the car was in excellent condition other than the battery and a note that the battery was not cheap.  How much?  Somewhere between $15K - $20K.  [It still sold]

9 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Granted, power/utility companies have incentive to do things that are mandated by law. If those changed, there could be a boone as far as upgrading the grid at a parallel clip to the adoption of EVs, solar, wind, thermal, tidal power etc. But ya, they kinda suck at present. Like oil companies, they have incentive to keep things the way they are because it can be planned for. Status quo is reliably profitable. 

Other nuclear: what i meant was MSRs(Molten Salt Reactors). They can made much smaller, with less chance of catastrophic meltdown/accidents. Kinda cool idea that's been around for decades. Might be worth looking in to. 

The NIMBY crowd will always be loud. But ideas that can be a benefit should be pursued vigorously. I'll keep it up.

The NIMBY crowd is one of the sources of reason that we should consider partners rather than adversaries. It is good that they are loud.

They provide a valuable perspective that you or I don't necessarily focus on. Not everyone is an engineer-type. It takes all of us to discover solutions ... these solutions are for all of us.

I am encouraged by your conviction. By all means, keep up the good work.

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

well, actually i misspoke. idk what all of scandanavia is doing but Sweden is going nuclear. 

So in your inaccurate post, you just wanted to insult a group of people you happen to disagree with. By using a slur that you wouldn't say out loud in public. Or maybe you would. Either way, classy. 

• Fire 1

1) i was talking about Sweden pivoting from renewables. Not the topic of this thread.

2) read this again, and if you still think EV's in their current incarnation, are sensible, i'll call you whatever i want

with forced/cheap labor

rape the earth of rare minerals

the runoff of which contaminates groundwater and local environment

to pay more money 

to charge it electrically

with power that comes from fossil fueled plants

on grids that can't support it:

to stop man-made climate change

which there is no data to support.

• Fire 3

TBD

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

1) i was talking about Sweden pivoting from renewables. Not the topic of this thread.

2) read this again, and if you still think EV's in their current incarnation, are sensible, i'll call you whatever i want

with forced/cheap labor

rape the earth of rare minerals

the runoff of which contaminates groundwater and local environment

to pay more money 

to charge it electrically

with power that comes from fossil fueled plants

on grids that can't support it:

to stop man-made climate change

which there is no data to support.

You can’t change something as vast as the automotive industry over night. So, no in their current incarnation EVs are not for everyone.  Or practical for everyone.

Every one of your points are either wrong or unchanged by EVs vs fossil fuels.  Pollution?  Exploitation of people? Raping the land?  Infrastructure building? These are not in any way unique to the EV industry or caused by EVs.  Climate change denial is not worth a comment.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

You can’t change something as vast as the automotive industry over night. So, no in their current incarnation EVs are not for everyone.  Or practical for everyone.

they aren't just 'not for everyone' or 'impractical'; they're asinine and counterproductive in scale. outside of testing for the future iterations, there is no value.

Every one of your points are either wrong or unchanged by EVs vs fossil fuels.  Pollution?  Exploitation of people? Raping the land?  Infrastructure building? These are not in any way unique to the EV industry or caused by EVs.

you're high or uniformed. the process of building a battery is exponentially more harmful to the environment than fossil fuels. and where is human exploitation from pumping oil? lol

and then, when you finally get that battery, you charge it via FOSSIL FUELS, you nitwit. 

Climate change denial is not worth a comment.

sheep

TBD

48 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

they aren't just 'not for everyone' or 'impractical'; they're asinine and counterproductive in scale. outside of testing for the future iterations, there is no value.

you're high or uniformed. the process of building a battery is exponentially more harmful to the environment than fossil fuels. and where is human exploitation from pumping oil? lol

and then, when you finally get that battery, you charge it via FOSSIL FUELS, you nitwit. 

sheep

Nothing you claim as truth is ever actually true.   You are the most gullible, malleable person ever.  You'll believe anything.  You are a literal tool.

Pollution?  Oil?  C'mon - read up on  'Deep water Horizon' or 'Niger Delta' or 'Exxon Valdez' some time for a tip of the pollution iceberg.   Yikes.  Oil spills are everywhere. That is not even discussing the consumption of it, which is much worse.

EVs have a smaller overall carbon footprint even when powered by fossil fuels.

Exploitation of people happens every day in every industry.  Oil and mining of all kinds included.  Coal mines exploit people in the same way as cobalt mines, only on a grander scale.

Again, infrastructures don't change overnight. That includes energy and batteries.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Nothing you claim as truth is ever actually true.   You are the most gullible, malleable person ever.  You'll believe anything.  You are a literal tool.

Pollution?  Oil?  C'mon - read up on  'Deep water Horizon' or 'Niger Delta' or 'Exxon Valdez' some time for a tip of the pollution iceberg.   Yikes.  Oil spills are everywhere. That is not even discussing the consumption of it, which is much worse.

EVs have a smaller overall carbon footprint even when powered by fossil fuels.

Exploitation of people happens every day in every industry.  Oil and mining of all kinds included.  Coal mines exploit people in the same way as cobalt mines, only on a grander scale.

Again, infrastructures don't change overnight. That includes energy and batteries.

You are the one who is wrong most of the time.  Oil spills are bad , for awhile, but it’s like over-fertilizing your lawn.  At first it burns everything and it turns brown and dead looking.  Later, as the rain and time dilutes it, everything comes back better than ever.   I knew an old indian, told me he killed weeds out of his fence-line with kerosene.  Said he had to do it two, sometimes three times a year.  I just smiled.  When you see plants killed off around oil operations it’s almost entirely caused by the saltwater that is pumped along with the oil.  It too can be repaired soon after the saltwater is ceased. When the Deepwater Horizon rig blew out in the gulf, they made such outrageous claims about how the Gulf Coast and all the fishing industry was ruined forever.  The next year it was back nearly to normal.  The year after that it was better than it had been in a long time.

Oil is fertilizer.  They make fertilizer for farmers out of it.  Years ago, sailing ships would drag their lines in the ocean behind them, to oil them, to keep them from drying out and breaking from solar and wind damage.  Oil seeped into the sea from underground because of pressure.  When the indians around here found it floating in the creek, they skimmed it up and took it back to the village where they would drink it to cure stomach problems and as a liniment for horses.   It is a well known remedy for mange.  Saltwater - chlorine - on the other hand, will kill anything and everything on land. 

On 11/2/2023 at 12:37 AM, Husker_Du said:

who on god's green earth refers to Germany as the pinnacle of civilization? 

3 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

Um, I am going with . . . Germans.  Just a guess.  

after all ... they do make the "ultimate driving machine."