How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?

How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?

• More than 1, but less than McCarthy
    • McCarthy
    • More than McCarthy
    • Jordan will not be elected Speaker of the House

10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

They shouldn't have another floor vote until they've decided the winner behind closed doors.  They're making the Democrats look good, which is not an easy task.

I think the strategy was to attempt to publicly shame, but that clearly did not work. It seems to actually be having the opposite effect as at least one who voted for Jordan in the first two rounds now says he will vote for McHenry.

There are enough reports of attempts at intimidation that Jordan had to issue a statement about it.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think the strategy was to attempt to publicly shame, but that clearly did not work. It seems to actually be having the opposite effect as at least one who voted for Jordan in the first two rounds now says he will vote for McHenry.

There are enough reports of attempts at intimidation that Jordan had to issue a statement about it.

I think the other speaker elections have had issues but they didn't air their dirty laundry like this.  It is diminishing the institution.

The 30 day extension and more authority for McHenry seems to be gaining traction, and seems to be a logical improv at this point.  But the question is, who after 30 days?  While Jordan might be a spotlight there is definite crack and two sides in the R's, who can both factions agree on?  And more importantly what are going to be the concessions and demands placed, on the focus of the house the rest of this congress?

39 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I think the other speaker elections have had issues but they didn't air their dirty laundry like this.  It is diminishing the institution.

I think the institution has been diminished for some time now. I believe they have the lowest approval rating of all the branches of government.

• Fire 1

40 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I think the institution has been diminished for some time now. I believe they have the lowest approval rating of all the branches of government.

They are lowering the bar.  Reminds me of a limbo contest.  Could get pretty low.  Jordan is not very big, but I can't speak to his flexibility.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Yes, but we've seen NOTHING like this in our lifetimes.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why is it a horrible idea?

It is constitutional crisis if he becomes president.   It is the solemn duty of Congress to elect their speaker.  Procrastinating won't help, they already know each other - too well.  Jordan was slamming talks of some Republicans working with Democrats but maybe they should.   Might bring us closer together.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It is constitutional crisis if he becomes president.   It is the solemn duty of Congress to elect their speaker.  Procrastinating won't help, they already know each other - too well.  Jordan was slamming talks of some Republicans working with Democrats but maybe they should.   Might bring us closer together.

It is about narrative. Practically it allows an honorable retreat for Jordan. His image does not allow him to just cave and allow a moderate Republican to hold the position he has so lusted. Instead he endorses an interim solution for the status quo while holding out a return to a vote for himself. But what he is really doing is buying time before conceding, thereby hanging on to what he thinks of as honor and constructing a narrative where he somehow can paint himself as not a loser. If he learned anything at the knee of Donald Trump, it is that he can never just concede. There must be theater and claims of victory in defeat. Donald Trump and his proxies have performed poorly in elections, but his backers buy what he is selling. Not ideal, but we get the more moderate option as Speaker, which is what we need.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is about narrative. Practically it allows an honorable retreat for Jordan. His image does not allow him to just cave and allow a moderate Republican to hold the position he has so lusted. Instead he endorses an interim solution for the status quo while holding out a return to a vote for himself. But what he is really doing is buying time before conceding, thereby hanging on to what he thinks of as honor and constructing a narrative where he somehow can paint himself as not a loser. If he learned anything at the knee of Donald Trump, it is that he can never just concede. There must be theater and claims of victory in defeat. Donald Trump and his proxies have performed poorly in elections, but his backers buy what he is selling. Not ideal, but we get the more moderate option as Speaker, which is what we need.

I don't think this holds water.  Support for Jordan will collapse entirely and he will be out of the picture.

12 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Which way will dims vote on interim speaker?

I would imagine they will continue to vote for the candidate they think is the best candidate,Hakeem Jeffries.

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I actually see it as him trying to show he can make deals and compromise, undercutting the most major criticism of him right now, and then he'll have the votes in January.  He might have even cut a deal with centrists for their votes...if Rs still have the house.

• Fire 1