And we can't get more Olympic weights?

AgaveMaria

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

The information is available. 

Fair question, what numbers have you seen on an international/world level scale that have had you convinced otherwise?

Not convinced either way.  Most of the arguments I have seen for GR popularity use the participation level in WC as all the evidence needed.

Part of my gut feel is obviously biased, being from the US. However, in addition, it was clear from the Iranian fans on the boards is that FR is way more popular and I also remember when Karelin was a star getting some press coverage in the US, the articles seemed to always mention how GR was, like the US, far less popular in Russia  

• Fire 2

A possible unbiased measure could be YouTube views. Looking at the UWW web site, there is no evidence that GR is more popular.  With a quick unscientific survey, in almost every category the FR vids have more and sometimes significantly more views.

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Man.  I thought I was stoopid.

Less stoopid than some.

Not sure where that is coming from. What is a more popular style is not exactly a scientifically define measurement and I don't see anything wrong with questioning a opinion that is widely held on wrestling message boards.

4 minutes ago, Jim L said:

A possible unbiased measure could be YouTube views. Looking at the UWW web site, there is no evidence that GR is more popular.  With a quick unscientific survey, in almost every category the FR vids have more and sometimes significantly more views.

I don’t know how good of a tool that is, in a lot of areas where both styles are very popular, internet is not as accessible, nor is the time available to watch YouTube. 

All that aside, there is going to be a very heavy American skew of the numbers in terms of where the views are coming from. 

19 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I don’t know how good of a tool that is, in a lot of areas where both styles are very popular, internet is not as accessible, nor is the time available to watch YouTube. 

All that aside, there is going to be a very heavy American skew of the numbers in terms of where the views are coming from. 

I guess I am showing my US centric view of the world and though I never thought all that much about, I assumed Youtube was the dominant site across the world.

I did spend a little time trying to see some evidence and actually was on the UWW web site looking at what style is more popular based on teams and participants in each style and I don't see much evidence of GR being more popular throughout the world.  Areas where we don't usually think that wrestling is popular like Africa, Oceania, Caribbean, etc. generally had a more FS participants thoghh sometimes it was about equal.

The only place that I saw a clear preference for GR was at the Nordic games.

What style is more popular does not really matter to me. I just find learning about wrestling traditions throughout the world interesting

Edited by Jim L
  • Fire 2

20 hours ago, Jim L said:

I have not seen those numbers, they could be partially convincing.

BTW, I do believe that GR is the most popular sport in some countries and could be convinced that it is more popular, I just have not seen good evidence that it is and this seems to be a widely accepted assumption. 

To be fair, other times this has been discussed on the boards LJB was involved and I got tired of his schtick and tuned out

So you prefer the women's style?

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

So you prefer the women's style?

Ha! Took me bit to get the reference. Board is better without him. His ranting against all others styles was beyond tiresome. It was also clear to me that he never wrestled and was living vicariously through his sons

• Fire 1

On 10/12/2023 at 6:53 AM, WrestlingRasta said:

I will say again, the world does not revolve around the USA’s high school and college schedule. 

no, it doesn't. but it also doesn't mean moving wrestling to winter games would be a bad move for either the IOC/ratings or the sport. wrestling would be much better served in the Winter games.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:53 AM, WrestlingRasta said:

Is it UWW’s recent move to put Greco as the last event so it is the weekend highlight at world/continental events that led you to believe this….or is it that USA isn’t medaling so it’s probably on its way out? 

1) the last style of wrestling at Worlds changes each year based on the popularity of the style in the host country. and it's been going on for years.

3) i don't know what the current plan is, but UWW did have designs in which GR's status would be changed. which, not coincidently, was at the time when they started pushing Beach.

TBD

On 10/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, WrestlingRasta said:

Just out of curiosity, what would be convincing if overall participation numbers is not?

i wish there was data on # of competitors (per style) worldwide.

there should be, considering athletes have to have registration/cards with their governing body. 

• Fire 1

TBD

8 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Disagree...

Cat made his points and didn't waver...

He also gave some insight that others couldn't or wouldn't...

Yes. That is mostly true, but he never stopped and he is the guy at the party you meet that is so interesting, than after 15 minutes you are done with and 2 hours later he is going full speed

5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i wish there was data on # of competitors (per style) worldwide.

there should be, considering athletes have to have registration/cards with their governing body. 

Also would be interesting to see, a number of fans attendance .   It would not be surprising US folkstyle is the best attended style in the world

6 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

no, it doesn't. but it also doesn't mean moving wrestling to winter games would be a bad move for either the IOC/ratings or the sport. wrestling would be much better served in the Winter games

Wrestling would be better served if the super bowl half time show was a wrestling match. Neither is going to happen. 

They are not going to completely change how the winter games work for a relatively small sport

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

no, it doesn't. but it also doesn't mean moving wrestling to winter games would be a bad move for either the IOC/ratings or the sport. wrestling would be much better served in the Winter games.

The Select Committee has investigated the proposition, heard evidence, and is now in agreement: Wrestling shall be part of the Winter Olympics. 

THEBUSHWHACKERS3.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

1) the last style of wrestling at Worlds changes each year based on the popularity of the style in the host country. and it's been going on for years.

3) i don't know what the current plan is, but UWW did have designs in which GR's status would be changed. which, not coincidently, was at the time when they started pushing Beach.

2) ???

4) Profit!!!

On 10/9/2023 at 2:03 PM, AgaveMaria said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/flag-football-los-angeles-olympics-2028-1.6990905

Flag Football in the Olympic Games?

All while we can't get the full slate of weights in Freestyle Wrestling. We have to cheat some of our wrestlers and force them into a one time change for the Olympics after they spend three years wrestling at another weight.

Now..., Flag Football? What will the USA call the team? The Taylor Swifts?

At least Breakdancing is out.

Tangential, but a buddy has been posting on social media about his kid playing Varsity Girl's Flag Football at her HS. Sounds like it's getting a lot of attention and support based on the comments. If WFF continues to grow, it could become an NCAA sport one day and create more scholarship opportunities for wrestling. Not that I'm holding my breath. And hopefully not to the detriment of women's college wrestling.

6 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Do these wintry areas even have ready made arenas for wrestling? I doubt they could share the hockey rinks given how many days each requires.

Even if they did in our fantasy world is wrestling the only minor sport that gets moved to the winter.  Why not archery and team handball?

• Fire 1

On 10/12/2023 at 2:40 PM, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

How many times have you gotten into an argument with somebody and decided to settle it by Ski Jumping?

This is literally one of the funniest lines I have read on the forums, here or the Mat.  Kudos to you sir! Maybe I should get out more but I am still chuckling as I type.

• Fire 1

On 10/14/2023 at 12:32 PM, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The Select Committee has investigated the proposition, heard evidence, and is now in agreement: Wrestling shall be part of the Winter Olympics. 

THEBUSHWHACKERS3.jpg

Might as well show us with our proper attire, mate...

Champs.png

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me