Yianni and the Longest Streaks

Brooklyn Dodger

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

Its not a lion, please don't throw me in with that bunch, you need a paw identification course.  😉

Really has nothing to do with wrestling, found this fresh paw print when in Brazil, took photo, found it fit well for user image in other apps.

Nah. I'm pretty sure you're a PSU fan

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

31 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

Per Wikiepedia: Kemp had a 96-match winning streak (no losses or ties) and a 110-match unbeaten streak.| National Wrestling Hall of Fame 

Thats a good streak and over how many years as opposed to Yianni?

23 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

You're wrong. It's 75

I will do the math for you: Yianni was 26-0 going into the NCAAs his soph year. He was 29-0 his junior year. Each year he won 5 matches to win the tournament. That's 65. He ended his frosh year on a 19-win steak. Total is 84 (not 85, sorry, but much more than 75).

11 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

I will do the math for you: Yianni was 26-0 going into the NCAAs his soph year. He was 29-0 his junior year. Each year he won 5 matches to win the tournament. That's 65. He ended his frosh year on a 19-win steak. Total is 84 (not 85, sorry, but much more than 75).

The Cornell site says Yianni, as a Sophomore, was 29-0 and capped it off with an NCAA championship.  Where are you getting your info?

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/wrestling/roster/yianni-diakomihalis/69868

7 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

The Cornell site says Yianni, as a Sophomore, was 29-0 and capped it off with an NCAA championship.  Where are you getting your info?

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/wrestling/roster/yianni-diakomihalis/69868

He was 26-0 going into the tournament according the to the NCAA bracket. Then he won five IN the tournament. https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2019/03/22/brackets.pdf

I am getting all my season records from the NCAA brackets.

Edited by Brooklyn Dodger

15 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

Wrong.  As I posted earlier:

Yianni is sitting at 75 straight (18-0 since losing to Eierman, then 29-0 and 28-0).

He was 24-0 his sophomore year going into NCAAs.   If you want to be picky, he was 22-0, as two of the victories were over non-D1 opponents.  So either 29-0 or 27-0, but not 31-0.  The bracket lists him at 29-0, so we'll go with that.  You should be aware that the W-L record shown in the brackets reflects their records *after* the NCAA tournament, not going in.  Just look at McKenna, who is listed at 24-3:  his three season losses were to Nick Lee and to Yianni twice (in the dual and in the NCAA final).  That's your error.

36 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

You are wrong and are you NJ Dan?

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

According to the NCAA brackets, Yianni was:

In 2018: 29-1 going into the tournament. Cornell says he ended the year on a 19-0 streak.

2019: 29-0 going into the tournament; won 5 in the tournament

2020 - no tournament

2021: Yianni did not compete due to Oly redshirt

2022: 28-0 going into the tournament; won 5 in the tournament

IN SUM: 19+29+5+28+5=86 match streak.

Again my number was off-- by one.

I am under the impression that the record in the brackets is going in, not coming out. If that's wrong, his streak is indeed at 76.

7 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

In 2018: 29-1 going into the tournament. Cornell says he ended the year on a 19-0 streak.

2020 - no tournament

I am under the impression that the record in the brackets is going in, not coming out. If that's wrong, his streak is indeed at 76.

If you are a troll I appreciate your commitment.  If you're NJ Dan welcome back but you're not fooling anyone.  If you happen to be generally misinformed I'm providing a link of Yianni's career with every match he's ever wrestled in college.  You can do the math yourself.  It's 75.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/49110/diakomihalis-yianni/profile

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

2020 - no tournament

I pointed out to you that the record in the brackets is coming out of the tournament, and gave as proof McKenna's record.  Are you still under the wrong impression.

"Cornell" doesn't say that.  Read it again:

Began his career with a 19-match win streak.

Please stop digging.

Edited by BigRedFan

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

If you are a troll I appreciate your commitment.  If you're NJ Dan welcome back but you're not fooling anyone.  If you happen to be generally misinformed I'm providing a link of Yianni's career with every match he's ever wrestled in college.  You can do the math yourself.  It's 75.

BOOM!

Roasted.

In memory of @VakAttack- who is silent it seems.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

Are you sure? Pat had "only" 122 wins and I am pretty sure he took five losses.

An article on the OK State site indeed says "Amongst the top of several Cowboy record lists, one of the most impressive might be his run of 98 consecutive matches without a loss, tying former wrestling great and former Iowa Head Coach Dan Gable for third on the all-time chart."  But didn't Gable have more than 98? Wikipedia says, "Gable's college career record was 117–1, with his only loss being in the final match of his final season to Larry Owings." That would mean his win streak was 117. But the Wrestling Hall of Fame says his record was 94-1, which would put his win streak at 94, less than Pat Smith's. https://nwhof.org/hall_of_fame/bio_by_name/dan-gable. This is odd. Is Wiki counting redshirt wins?

16 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

2020 - no tournament

7 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

5 minutes ago, jagger712 said:

29-0 and 28-0 were his records for the entire season

Can we add a math forum?  😉

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dodger said:

An article on the OK State site indeed says "Amongst the top of several Cowboy record lists, one of the most impressive might be his run of 98 consecutive matches without a loss, tying former wrestling great and former Iowa Head Coach Dan Gable for third on the all-time chart."  But didn't Gable have more than 98? Wikipedia says, "Gable's college career record was 117–1, with his only loss being in the final match of his final season to Larry Owings." That would mean his win streak was 117. But the Wrestling Hall of Fame says his record was 94-1, which would put his win streak at 94, less than Pat Smith's. https://nwhof.org/hall_of_fame/bio_by_name/dan-gable. This is odd. Is Wiki counting redshirt wins?

I looked at his individual matches to get 98 not what someone else reported and there were no redshirt matches.

10 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

I pointed out to you that the record in the brackets is coming out of the tournament, and gave as proof McKenna's record.  Are you still under the wrong impression.

"Cornell" doesn't say that.  Read it again:

Please stop digging.

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

I looked at his individual matches to get 98 not what someone else reported and there were no redshirt matches.

I was asking whether 117-1 counted Gable's redshirt wins, not Smiths, as there is a discrepancy in his reported records.

16 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I am not "generally misinformed." I was misinformed about whether the brackets posted the pre-tournament record or the post-tournament record. I guess I assumed the records were pre-tournament as the brackets are printed before the tourney starts.