Gaetz files for divorce

Plasmodium

24 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Today former Virginia state champion & NCAA D1 (Liberty University) wrestler Bob Good  shared why he voted  as one of the 8 Republicans who recently pursued ousting House speaker Kevin McCarthy:

"We are $33 trillion in debt. Our border is being invaded. Family budgets are being crushed by gas prices, housing costs, and Bidenflation. American citizens are being targeted by a weaponized government. I voted to remove the Speaker because we cannot afford to wait and fight these battles next Congress, next year, or even next month. We have to fight for the American people today---and every day."

Rep. Good wears his wrestling coach credential with pride even to this day, by the way:

https://ballotpedia.org/Bob_Good   

Maximum platitude/paragraph quotient there.  

21 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Today former Virginia state champion & NCAA D1 (Liberty University) wrestler Bob Good  shared why he voted  as one of the 8 Republicans who recently pursued ousting House speaker Kevin McCarthy:

"We are $33 trillion in debt. Our border is being invaded. Family budgets are being crushed by gas prices, housing costs, and Bidenflation. American citizens are being targeted by a weaponized government. I voted to remove the Speaker because we cannot afford to wait and fight these battles next Congress, next year, or even next month. We have to fight for the American people today---and every day."

Rep. Good wears his wrestling coach credential with pride even to this day, by the way:

https://ballotpedia.org/Bob_Good   

Is Bob aware that there are  3 branches of the government? Is Bob aware if you don't have a majority in Senate it's very hard to get legislation passed ? Is Bob aware if the President is a democrat its very hard to get legislation passed? If you have a couple of Wack jobs in your party it is really hard to pass legislation. 

25 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Is Bob aware that there are  3 branches of the government? Is Bob aware if you don't have a majority in Senate it's very hard to get legislation passed ? Is Bob aware if the President is a democrat its very hard to get legislation passed? If you have a couple of Wack jobs in your party it is really hard to pass legislation. 

In general I agree with Bob's message.   But Paul158 has a very good point.   You need to play the hand you are dealt.  And right now, the House is almost even split R and D, and the Rs are not voting together so some D's must be brought on board to pass anything just in the House.   But nothing of substance will get through the Senate or the WH.   And there is no, "well we passed legislation to reduce the debt, but it went nowhere because the Senate is D" excuses that are palatable to anyone.   Votes like that are just for show and do nothing but waste time.  But Bob has some good points that do need to be worked on and are not.   But note, everytime the Rs have the House, Senate, and WH, this kind of good work does not get done.    Do they really want to or is it just for show?   I think the latter.

mspart

• Fire 3

9 minutes ago, BobDole said:

If the other Bob was so serious about those issues, especially the debt the wouldn't waste time and money on another circus voting and re-voting for a new speaker.

Imagine if politicians actually cared about getting things done and done in a timely/efficient/costly manner instead of showing each other up, all for the vote

• Fire 3

20 minutes ago, BobDole said:

If the other Bob was so serious about those issues, especially the debt the wouldn't waste time and money on another circus voting and re-voting for a new speaker.

I was hoping you would see I was not referring to you. But your statement is true.

34 minutes ago, mspart said:

In general I agree with Bob's message.   But Paul158 has a very good point.   You need to play the hand you are dealt.  And right now, the House is almost even split R and D, and the Rs are not voting together so some D's must be brought on board to pass anything just in the House.   But nothing of substance will get through the Senate or the WH.   And there is no, "well we passed legislation to reduce the debt, but it went nowhere because the Senate is D" excuses that are palatable to anyone.   Votes like that are just for show and do nothing but waste time.  But Bob has some good points that do need to be worked on and are not.   But note, everytime the Rs have the House, Senate, and WH, this kind of good work does not get done.    Do they really want to or is it just for show?   I think the latter.

mspart

It's just for show. The current system seems to be very broken. Unfortunately, the individuals who could fix it like it broke.

Rush Limbaugh used to say that the USA's founding fathers designed our government so that it would be hard to change things too much.  They didn't want the system to decay back into a tyranny plagued with absolute power.   

Admittedly this was before a federal income tax existed.   Now there's a lotta money chasing folks around in Washington D.C.    And much of it is borrowed:

http://www.USDebtClock.org

At least Bob Good talks about the debt problem, unlike a lot on Capitol Hill.      

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

Which means that there is zero consensus that the US debt is a serious issue that needs to be dealt with.   Which means they are all idiots or we are for voting them in.   I think it is both.

mspart

What gets them more votes?
Talking about the debt or claiming the trans kids are coming to get you?

• Fire 1

35 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

It's just for show. The current system seems to be very broken. Unfortunately, the individuals who could fix it like it broke.

Yet, we the people keep voting the same people back in office, whether it be the same actual person, or the same mindset just different name. And then we spend the next four years bitching about how nobody in government cares about us, until we vote them in again. We cry about term limits, when we the people absolutely control term limits. 

Likewise, we all come on to places like this and agree that all politicians are (insert flavorful adjective here) and all crooks. Yet, the vast majority of we the people will only hold ‘the other side’ to account while continuously projecting, shifting blame, and dismissing the shenanigans of those on their ‘side’. 

If all politicians are crooks, why do we only lash out about the crooks on the other side?

Because it’s just easier to let them tell us how to think, who to be mad at, how to vote and just run with it. 

There’s a great line in ‘The American President’   “Politics has come about telling you what’s wrong with your life, and telling you who to blame for it. That’s how you win elections” 

• Fire 2

33 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Rush Limbaugh used to say that the USA's founding fathers designed our government so that it would be hard to change things too much.  They didn't want the system to decay back into a tyranny plagued with absolute power.   

Admittedly this was before a federal income tax existed.   Now there's a lotta money chasing folks around in Washington D.C.    And much of it is borrowed:

http://www.USDebtClock.org

At least Bob Good talks about the debt problem, unlike a lot on Capitol Hill.      

Unfortunately there will never be any action. You would have to completely change the system to fix this huge mess. Those who have the responsibility to fix things are AWOL.

• Fire 1

49 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Yet, we the people keep voting the same people back in office, whether it be the same actual person, or the same mindset just different name. And then we spend the next four years bitching about how nobody in government cares about us, until we vote them in again. We cry about term limits, when we the people absolutely control term limits. 

The more longstanding members of Congress typically have more seniority & contacts with which to get more "pork" (i.e. gubmint grants & contracts) allocated to their electoral districts.   Committee chairpersonships are helpful, as are committee assignments.   That's a significant part of why so many folks keep voting unsatisfactory elected officials back in each term.   Such voters want some of their (involuntarily extracted) federal tax dollars returned by the feds.   If there are term limits enacted across the board, though,  there's less disincentive against voting out elected officials who aren't performing as well as their voting constituents would like.    

Encouragingly enough, Term Limits are making some (but not yet enough) progress:

http://www.USTermLimits.org

Getting them enacted is like becoming a better wrestler, though.   Patience & persistence are needed.    

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

The more longstanding members of Congress typically have more seniority & contacts with which to get more "pork" (i.e. gubmint grants & contracts) allocated to their electoral districts.   Committee chairpersonships are helpful, as are committee assignments.   That's a significant part of why so many folks keep voting unsatisfactory elected officials back in each term.   Such voters want some of their (involuntarily extracted) federal tax dollars returned by the feds.   If there are term limits enacted across the board, though,  there's less disincentive against voting out elected officials who aren't performing as well as their voting constituents would like.    

Encouragingly enough, Term Limits are making some (but not yet enough) progress:

Getting them enacted is like becoming a better wrestler, though.   Patience & persistence are needed.    

I would disagree . Getting terms limits would require a miracle from God.

1 hour ago, jross said:

This is a clear reason to support the recent happennings.

Thats all well and dandy except for the fact they only control the congress by the slimiest of margins.  They can send legislation to the senate but democrats have the majority. Then it would have to get past the President Biden . You know he will be TOLD to veto it. It seems like if you want to get anything accomplished you may want to first get a few more Republican Senators, a few more congressman ( to override the wacho ones} and get a Republican President.

5 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Have you interacted with these folks yet?

I will check it out. I guess I'm a little cynical. The system is so messed up. The people (in Washington DC) who could change it would be directly affected by it monetarily (that is a huge problem) . There is so much money and power involved. I just don't have much faith.

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I will check it out. I guess I'm a little cynical. The system is so messed up. The people (in Washington DC) who could change it would be directly affected by it monetarily (that is a huge problem) . There is so much money and power involved. I just don't have much faith.

Changes can be made at the state level, at least in some states, regarding the creation of term limits for their states' federal representatives.   Many state reps. would like to get rid of the people occupying seats in Washington D.C. that they, themselves, want to occupy.    May I suggest that you subscribe to their free newsletter(s)?