Apparently Repechage is French for stupid

If you are saying I don’t know anyone who made world teams you are dead wrong.  I also am extremely generous with my own coin in working with local wrestling clubs to bring D1 events to our area and more importantly in making sure they have scholarship money to send talented kids to tournaments and camps that their families couldn’t otherwise afford.  Not saying you were barking up that tree but if so… I watch all of these events and if I see areas for improvement I comment on it.  I don’t have time to spend 19 pages discussing Ban Basketball but I do care deeply about the structure of the sport and improving it.  It is crucial that young people get a return on their time spent honing their craft and something seems inefficient to me in how this business is being run.  And as an aside to Jason Bryant….just because other people dont bring it up doesnt mean no one can…or should.

8 hours ago, Ched64 said:

Expand on that…not sure what you are saying.

Even if you only get one match, the real world champs is the work that is put in along the way. If a youth wrestler is so advanced and experienced as to make a world team then the entire family is keenly aware that you may only get one match. As JB stated, this isn't a fourth grader weekend tourney.

i am an idiot on the internet

On 10/5/2023 at 10:46 AM, nhs67 said:

JB already hit the nail on the head but I am going to add to it...

Every single time I have gone to any major tournament, domestic or international, for myself, family, friends, etc... we don't only go over to wrestle.  That is the reason we are there, yes... we also go to experience the culture.  I have made connections worldwide I never would have had I not traveled overseas - both personal and professional - that I still have today.

Thinking that the experience is just one match when you go 0-1 is truly very ignorant and shows that you have neither been a part of a national team, traveled overseas specifically for wrestling, or that you even know anybody that meets either of those criteria.

Stay in your lane.

Listen:  I am a ref.  If I ever do UWW worlds, I'll skip one of my snack breaks and ref matches between sessions for the guys who went 0-1.  I'm sure Zain Richards and other World Team members of all ages wouldn't be demeaned at all by this.  They clearly are not up to snuff and need the experience.  

I do expect my fee of $6.45, however.  I'm not going to miss out on eating some Kraft Mac and Cheese heated up by a member of the local booster club for free!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Listen:  I am a ref.  If I ever do UWW worlds, I'll skip one of my snack breaks and ref matches between sessions for the guys who went 0-1.  I'm sure Zain Richards and other World Team members of all ages wouldn't be demeaned at all by this.  They clearly are not up to snuff and need the experience.  

I do expect my fee of $6.45, however.  I'm not going to miss out on eating some Kraft Mac and Cheese heated up by a member of the local booster club for free!

I am not arguing against anybody getting more, or additional matches.  Actually I preferred the double elimination style charts to the brackets in any case - to be clear.

I am simply stating that they aren't 'only' going over for one match if they go 0W-1L and don't get pulled back in.  There are so many other experiences to be had - especially at the age level U17s, U20s, and even U23s.  It is preposterous to say it is a waste.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I am not arguing against anybody getting more, or additional matches.  Actually I preferred the double elimination style charts to the brackets in any case - to be clear.

I am simply stating that they aren't 'only' going over for one match if they go 0W-1L and don't get pulled back in.  There are so many other experiences to be had - especially at the age level U17s, U20s, and even U23s.  It is preposterous to say it is a waste.

Yes.  I went to Nashville this summer, wrestled zero matches and had a fantastic time experiencing the culture especially around the Broadway area.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I getcha and I shouldn’t have made my “glass of wine” comment so lazily.  The thing I love most about traveling are the people I meet along the way.  Thanks for responding.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Ched64 said:

I getcha and I shouldn’t have made my “glass of wine” comment so lazily.  The thing I love most about traveling are the people I meet along the way.  Thanks for responding.

I also could be less aggressive.  For my part in the bitterness there, I am sorry.

We are all fans.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me