2023 World Wrestling tournament...

D3 for LU

After Kagami won, almost all of their Olympic team is complete.  Japan's rule is that if you medal at this World Championships at an Olympic weight, the Olympic spot is yours.

So:

50kg- Susaki(2023 World Champion)

53kg- Fujinami(In the finals tomorrow night)

57kg- Sakurai(2023 World Champion)

62kg- Motoki(In the finals tomorrow night)

68kg-Ishii if she wins bronze tomorrow night

76kg- Kagami(2023 World Champion)

• Fire 7

35 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Also does Elor go 68 or 76?

I think Mikey P was saying he expects her to go 68 KG.  She is a bull, so I think she is fine at either weight.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

40 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Just saw the Greco draws. USA got hosed. We didn't draw an opponent from Mexico at any weight. I don't see how they expect us to build confidence without winning matches. Rigged

Flo doesn't have them up yet.  Lame.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Just saw the Greco draws. USA got hosed. We didn't draw an opponent from Mexico at any weight. I don't see how they expect us to build confidence without winning matches. Rigged

Can you tag me on Twitter?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Spladle08 said:

I actually think the three ILLINOIS wrestlers have good draws. They all get winnable matches in the first round.

Then, for Kamal Bey, his toughest opponent before the semifinals is a guy he doubled up at the last ranking series tournament. That fellow is the #1 seed, but Bey has shown he can beat him.

Joe Rau has a guy in the first round that he pinned two years ago, and Zac Braunagel gets a young fellow who is 1-4 in age-group Asian Championships. But the best part of their draws is their second round matches.

They both get Greco legends. So, they either shock the world or have a nice chance for repechage. Remember, though, they don't call me Homelander for nothing!

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, neutral said:

Any legitimate medal threats in Greco.  I have been out of the loop.

I'm not really a greco enthusiast.

Like your forum name states, I'll remain... neutral. 😏

D3

• Fire 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

3 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I actually think the three ILLINOIS wrestlers have good draws. They all get winnable matches in the first round.

Then, for Kamal Bey, his toughest opponent before the semifinals is a guy he doubled up at the last ranking series tournament. That fellow is the #1 seed, but Bey has shown he can beat him.

Joe Rau has a guy in the first round that he pinned two years ago, and Zac Braunagel gets a young fellow who is 1-4 in age-group Asian Championships. But the best part of their draws is their second round matches.

They both get Greco legends. So, they either shock the world or have a nice chance for repechage. Remember, though, they don't call me Homelander for nothing!

Thank you for assessing the draws instead of just making a joke about how we can only beat Mexico (as I did) 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Dang! The one day I fall asleep and miss the start of the tournament. On the results board, it looks like a 4-1 win. I'm so pissed at myself!

😉As seen above...

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Colton Schultz with the pin! To the poster above who asked about medal threats from the USA, well, in my non-expert opinion, it is the two winners on the day so far: Bey and Schultz. 

They call it a tech fall 9-1 and not a pin. Schultz was stronger and had a better gas tank than his opponent. 

One thing I really dislike about Greco is that they will put both men down in the match, even in cases like this when Schultz so obviously dominated the action. 

Brady Koontz up 7-0 at the break. He's comically taller than his Korean foe. 

Koontz called for passivity when he was anything but. That's my hang-up again with Greco. The Korean gets that point and a gut. Brady almost pins the over-eager tiny man. 

7-3 win for Koontz!

Really, really nice day so far for the beacon of Democracy in the World! 

• Fire 1