2023 Worlds Brackets

nhs67

Finesilver and Amine at 86 KG are both set up to wrestle for a Bronze.

I hope Amine can somehow surprise Yazdani...

I think DT beats Russia in the semi-finals to see Yazdani again... and beats Yazdani.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Notes that stick out to me:

61kg; Vito has a solid draw to quarters vs Atri (IRI). If Popov (ISR) beats the Japanese guy, Atri will have to forfeit, and I think Vito cruises to semis. Lucky for him Magomedov's on the other side. Zhumashbek Uulu will be a really tough semi.

65kg; top side is stacked; for Nick Lee first few matches look decent but btwn Amouzad, Otoguru, Mamedov, Musukaev, etc medaling is going to be a long shot.

I really like Marsteller's draw here.  He has a lot to prove, but the one guy I don't see him beating has to see Usmanov of Russia... I love that...

I am taking Marsteller to make the finals over Usmanov.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 3

Sidakov has a walk in the part to make the finals.  Salkazanov and Kadi likely meet in the quarters for the right to face what looks like Dake.

Finesilver to face Kadi early... do the Belarusian folks do the same as the Irani folks with Israel?

That bottom quarter of 65 KG... so much weaker than the other three.  Rivera likely wrestles for a medal.

Lee has an uphill battle... hopefully if he gets to the young Irani-gent he can get past him because Oto is next. in line after that.

74kg; likely Dake vs Chamizo quarter. Hopefully Dake vs Kadi rematch for semis (I'd rather see this match than another Dake vs Salkazanov). On the top side, Sidakov vs Emami round of 16 should be a great gauge as to whether Sidakov's in top form or not.

We could see Dake vs Chamizo, Kadi, and Sidakov all in one tournament!!

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Snyder is fighting for Bronze.  He will see the Tank in the semi-finals.  Sucks for 4/5 seeds... maybe the Irani can upset him?  We'll see.

Perfect for Snyder actually considering his limited chances. Goleij will lose to Sad but may tire him out in the process with the pushing and forward pressure. Especially if Sad is out of shape as some are saying.

• Fire 1

Just now, oldschool said:

74kg; likely Dake vs Chamizo quarter. Hopefully Dake vs Kadi rematch for semis (I'd rather see this match than another Dake vs Salkazanov). On the top side, Sidakov vs Emami round of 16 should be a great gauge as to whether Sidakov's in top form or not.

We could see Dake vs Chamizo, Kadi, and Sidakov all in one tournament!!

Bekzod, mutli-time medalist has Sidakov first.

• Fire 1

38 minutes ago, oldschool said:

https://arena.uww.org/weight-category/1ee3cbae-f1ff-6c1c-96f1-d54d04edeeec

I don't really understand this numbering system.

As I recall- the numbering displays mat assignments. Something like under 100 Mat A, 100s B 200s C 300s D.

The Mat letters might be rotated differently but I believe it's something like that.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

As I recall- the numbering displays mat assignments. Something like under 100 Mat A, 100s B 200s C 300s D.

The Mat letters might be rotated differently but I believe it's something like that.

Not for this.  The numbers are randomly given to every athlete.

Then they separate by weight.

They then put the Top 8 seeded gents in to their respective positions.

After that they figure out how many first round byes are needed per weight, depending on total entries (97 KG for example has 35 wrestlers, so there needs to be 13 first round byes).

They give the seeded wrestlers, in order the byes first (so 1-8) then randomly drawing in the other five (5) byes - making sure to separate them (so you aren't going to have four of those five being in the bottom and one on top, for example) for a total of 13 byes (for 97 KG specifically) in the first round.

After that all the unseeded wrestlers are ordered from lowest number to highest number and just put in that way.  #1 would go in the first available slot, from the top down.  If the next number was 56 they would go in the second slot.  If then next number was 57 they would go in the third slot.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

Brackets are great :), nothing completely wild, but the top half of 97kg is nice .

My poor sweet Chamizo is about to get rich or die trying.
Would be an impressive showing if Dake navigates his way to gold .

57kg was going to be rough regardless of position but yeah rough

Vito landed in a pretty Nice spot. Yay

Lee is also in a very great spot and should have the chance to wrestle for a medal

Zain should get to the semis and coinflip

Chance should have a solid shot at the semis, but then I have my doubts .

DT vs Yaz obviously

Zahid has a rough path to the finals or even a medal, but maybe he'll show up (I wouldn't we medal)

Kyle will be in the semis. Who knows

Parris (in my opinion is tied with 3 or 4 guys for what could be the 4th best at the weight on any given day . And should take bronze here )

That's it

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Bottom half of 57 KG is a lot like the top half of 65 KG.  Poor Richards.

Poor Richard's Almanac

Yes. He will have three super tough matches to win Gold. If he were in, say, Darian Cruz's spot in the top half of the bracket, it would be two super tough matches to win the Gold. I do like Zane to win his first two matches because they are both lanky long-drink-of-water fellows that he has had lots of success with (e.g., Zandanbud, Suriano, Gilman, Stechele).

Then, it is Abakarov, who he's familiar with, and who he beat in a practice match. 

Then, either Uguev of Russia or Aman of India to get to the Finals. The key for Zane is to get on a roll. This draw sets him up for that. By the way, Zane's first match is against an Azer wrestler that almost came to blows in a loss to Austin DeSanto up at 61 kg pretty recently. 

• Fire 1

Poor Richard's Almanac
Yes. He will have three super tough matches to win Gold. If he were in, say, Darian Cruz's spot in the top half of the bracket, it would be two super tough matches to win the Gold. I do like Zane to win his first two matches because they are both lanky long-drink-of-water fellows that he has had lots of success with (e.g., Zandanbud, Suriano, Gilman, Stechele).
Then, it is Abakarov, who he's familiar with, and who he beat in a practice match. 
Then, either Uguev of Russia or Aman of India to get to the Finals. The key for Zane is to get on a roll. This draw sets him up for that. By the way, Zane's first match is against an Azer wrestler that almost came to blows in a loss to Austin DeSanto up at 61 kg pretty recently. 

Love the positivity
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:
25 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Poor Richard's Almanac

Love the positivity

IWB... did you just joinedw/ Up with People?

4e8616d36baa4d53c8d05aed2610adad.600x600

(Just asking for a friend... )

D3

• Fire 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

41 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Poor Richard's Almanac

This doesn't matter in the scheme of things.  Abakarov has the hardware.  Richards does not.