Who is the hottest commit for Penn State as of late?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Of the recent commits / rostered wrestlers who have yet to wrestle in the blue and white, who are you most excited about?

Braden Davis - 125/133

Josh Barr - 174/184

Tyler Kasak - 149/157

Cole Mirasola - 197/HWT

Connor Mirasola - 184/197

Zach Ryder - 165/174

Luke Lilledahl - 125

Joseph Sealey - 165/174

Mason Gibson - 125

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

People don't seem to be quite as high on Sealey as they were a year ago.

I think people cooled on him when Ferrari dismantled him. He looked pretty solid against Will Henckel at Who's #1 though..

Here is where I might put them as of now.

I considered moving Cole UP to the 2nd Tier, mainly because he is looking to be the only HWT on the roster.  While I don't see it, Ryder or Barr could conceivably grow in to 197.  A big reason Seal is so low is because they have so much depth there already.  I think Lilledahl is going to be a multi-time AA regardless of the weight.  They will get him in.  Some guys, such as Davis and Gibson need to be a certain weight or the bell curve catches up to them a bit quicker.  I think Barr and Ryder are both 184 type guys.

1 - Luke Lilledahl - 125

T-2 - Luke Lilledahl - 133, Luke Lilledahl - 141, Josh Barr - 184, Zach Ryder - 184

T-6 - Braeden Davis - 125, Mason Gibson - 125, Tyler Kasak - 149, Tyler Kasak - 157, Joseph Sealey - 157, Josh Barr - 174, Zach Ryder - 174, Connor Mirasola - 197, Cole Mirasola - HWT

T-15 -Joseph Sealey - 165, Braeden Davis - 133

T-17 - Joseph Sealey - 174, Mason Gibson - 133

18 - Mason Gibson - 141

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

13 minutes ago, Gus said:

1- Lilledahl

2- Ryder

3- Kasak

4- Sealey

5- Barr

6- Connor Mirasola

7- Gibson

8- Davis

9- Cole Mirasola

Playing devil's advocate here... didn't Seal beat Ryder pretty comfortably within the last two calendar years?

Also I think Cole, while possibly the least highly rated of the bunch, likely has the best shot to start the most matches.

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Playing devil's advocate here... didn't Seal beat Ryder pretty comfortably within the last two calendar years?

Also I think Cole, while possibly the least highly rated of the bunch, likely has the best shot to start the most matches.

Yes, Sealey did beat Ryder at Super 32 in 2021 at 152. That weight class was won by Nicco Ruiz and featured Sealey, Ryder, Angelo Ferrari, Mitchell Mesenbrink among others. 

You could be onto something with Cole Mirasola. If he plans to go heavyweight, he will have the path of least resistance for all the recruits. I put him last on my list because I think he's a tweener size wise and may struggle with the size of the heavyweights. I'm sure he will prove me wrong though...

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yes, Sealey did beat Ryder at Super 32 in 2021 at 152. That weight class was won by Nicco Ruiz and featured Sealey, Ryder, Angelo Ferrari, Mitchell Mesenbrink among others. 

You could be onto something with Cole Mirasola. If he plans to go heavyweight, he will have the path of least resistance for all the recruits. I put him last on my list because I think he's a tweener size wise and may struggle with the size of the heavyweights. I'm sure he will prove me wrong though...

And I think that's when Askren says that Messenbrink had his turning point.  Made stylistic changes, and we now see a very different wrestler today.

1 minute ago, Gus said:

The same reason I think Cole does is a big reason I don't think Sealey does.  He is right in the middle of a bunch of hot weight classes.  I put him on level with Kasak, but Kasak might be going 149 so we will see.

14 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

And I think that's when Askren says that Messenbrink had his turning point.  Made stylistic changes, and we now see a very different wrestler today.

He certainly has went on a tear since then.. Will be interesting to see if his freestyle accolades yield as high of folkstyle results. He is a fun one to watch.

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The same reason I think Cole does is a big reason I don't think Sealey does.  He is right in the middle of a bunch of hot weight classes.  I put him on level with Kasak, but Kasak might be going 149 so we will see.

There is a bit of a logjam with their recruits in the middle weights but it seems like the cream always rises to the top. I'm not sure what weight class best suits Sealey in college. He does not seem like a large 160 pounder. 

17 minutes ago, Gus said:

He certainly has went on a tear since then.. Will be interesting to see if his freestyle accolades yield as high of folkstyle results. He is a fun one to watch.

I think Askren said that he was becoming too predictable and forcing stuff from the outside on his feet.  He has made a concerted effort to mix it up since.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:19 AM, Gus said:

1- Lilledahl

2- Ryder

3- Kasak

4- Sealey

5- Barr

6- Connor Mirasola

7- Gibson

8- Davis

9- Cole Mirasola

Probably would flip the top 2. Then put barr at the bottom. Just don't see him starting with all the other talent they have lined up around 174-197

3 hours ago, hawkguy said:

Probably would flip the top 2. Then put barr at the bottom. Just don't see him starting with all the other talent they have lined up around 174-197

Barr's path to starting is much more straightforward than the middle weights. Starocci has two years available but has yet to determine is he is going to use them. Truax is a stopgap for this year only. So Barr could slide in at 174 after this year for Starocci or grow into 184. Barr was a top 10 P4P recruit.

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Barr's path to starting is much more straightforward than the middle weights. Starocci has two years available but has yet to determine is he is going to use them. Truax is a stopgap for this year only. So Barr could slide in at 174 after this year for Starocci or grow into 184. Barr was a top 10 P4P recruit.

Not really sure why he is dismissing Barr.  Barr is likely looking at 3 or 4 years starting.  Not sure why someone puts Ryder ahead of Barr at this point.  Barr is a year ahead and is in the room now.

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Idk man I think Barrs good, but I see a combination of facundo, sealed, Ryder, mirasola and maybe starocci manning those weights come time for barr to start

3 hours ago, hawkguy said:

Idk man I think Barrs good, but I see a combination of facundo, sealed, Ryder, mirasola and maybe starocci manning those weights come time for barr to start

Askren said Mirasola’s are going to be 197/hwt and I’m not convinced either has proven to be a better prospect that Barr up to this point. Facundo will be in the mix at 174 presumably. Sealy did not look like a very big 160 at WNO last week so I think he probably projects in at 157 unless he hits a growth spurt

Not really sure why he is dismissing Barr.  Barr is likely looking at 3 or 4 years starting.  Not sure why someone puts Ryder ahead of Barr at this point.  Barr is a year ahead and is in the room now.

Because Ryder is spending his senior year at M2/NLWC and will have as much time at PSU as Barr before Starocci leaves.

I see the lineup at 157-184 in two years time as:

157: Haines/Sealey
165: Sealey/Haines
174: Messenbrink
184: Ryder/Barr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1