Anthony Cassar: "Cael keeps you grounded in your faith"

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Now I guess in theory that could have more occurred while Cassar was part of NLWC and not PSU, but seems odd for a coach at a state school.

Good interview overall though.   This quote is around 29:30.

Or it could just be that Cael creates an environment that prioritizes spiritual/mental health and not being overly obsessed with the results. Perhaps he shows the athletes, with his own actions and faith, that wrestling is something they do - not who they are. It probably is very freeing for the athletes to compete and not have their whole identity teetering on whether they win or lose. 

• Fire 7

56 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

but seems odd for a coach at a state school.

Penn State is not a state school and I might not be religious myself but I don't see any harm in what Cael is doing in terms of connecting with his wrestlers through "faith" even if it seems foreign to me

• Fire 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Plenty of non-religious kids have come through PSU’s team as well.

Cael helps people understand that they are more than “just” wrestlers and their identity and value is not tied to their results on the mat. Win or lose, it’s not the end of the world. Like @Gus says, that’s freeing to many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 4

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Penn State is not a state school and I might not be religious myself but I don't see any harm in what Cael is doing in terms of connecting with his wrestlers through "faith" even if it seems foreign to me

State-related?

Does that impact their requirement to abide by separation of Church and state?

Although I suppose Cael may also be in the clear anyway if he only talks about “faith” and not Jesus or any specific religion.

28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

State-related?

Although I suppose Cael may also be in the clear anyway if he only talks about “faith” and not Jesus or any specific religion.

Would you like to define & reference that requirement or should we just ignore and let this thread stay on track?  

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Would you like to define & reference that requirement or should we just ignore and let this thread stay on track?  

“US courts have ruled that schools are an ‘arm of the state’ and thus can do nothing to hinder or promote religion”

https://news.cornellcollege.edu/2019/11/ask-expert-separation-church-state-mean-americas-public-schools-report/

• Fire 1

38 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

State-related?

Cael is allowed to talk about Jesus & Joesph Smith.  It's protected under his constitutional right.  He's not allowed discriminate wrestlers who are not religious or to force religious practice i.e prayer, going to church, drink the blood of christ

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 3

9 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Cael is allowed to talk about Jesus & Joesph Smith.  It's protected under his constitutional right.  He's not allowed discriminate wrestlers who are not religious or to force religious practice i.e prayer, going to church, drink the blood of christ

He can even “promote” Jesus and/or Joseph Smith?

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Vak is now a Constutional lawyer?  Some day we may be able to say we rubbed shoulders (er electrons) with a Surpreme.  😯

I never said Constitutional Lawyer.  I said Resident Lawyer as in he is our Resident Intermat Forum Lawyer.  It's pro bono work but it's fulfilling 

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

I never said Constitutional Lawyer.  I said Resident Lawyer as in he is our Resident Intermat Forum Lawyer.  It's pro bono work but it's fulfilling 

yeah but still ... there's a chance

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

yeah but still ... there's a chance

Through discovery I've collected

Vak v. Social Sec. Admin, 753 F.2d 1076 (7th Cir. 1984)

19 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Name some non bible thumpers at PSU? I can’t think of any who didn’t thank god 5x per interview.

Starocci IIRC.   Unless thinking he’s God counts (which I know may be a bit of an act for social media)

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1