2023 MFS Worlds Predictions

oldschool

57 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Agreed on all three of the above. And does everyone want to hear an unpopular but not-so-hot take?

Because Steveson has no rankings points he will be randomly drawn into the bracket which could lead to three negative outcomes.

Negative outcome #1 - he "only" gets silver.

Negative outcome # 2 - the brackets are balanced with two of the Big 4 on each side, he loses to the finalist, then grabs a bronze.

Negative outcome #3 - the worst scenario is an overloaded side featuring three of the Big 4. He could conceivably lose twice and go home with no medal.

Am I saying it will happen? No - I think September 17th at approximately 12:30 CST he is doing another backflip. But this is why they wrestle the matches and it is absolutely in the realm of realistic.

You can do the same exercise with Dake, Sidakov, and Kadimagomedov. Depending on the draw, one of the best in the world is potentially going home empty handed.

I don't believe Sidakov is allowed to compete, correct?

I definitely read something that made a point about the Russian wrestlers that were in the military wouldn't be able to compete. Don't know about the validity or if that has changed.

I also heard Kozak say that France isn't going to allow the Russians or Belarussians in the country for the Olympics...

Edited by MPhillips

31 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I definitely read something that made a point about the Russian wrestlers that were in the military wouldn't be able to compete. Don't know about the validity or if that has changed.

I also heard Kozak say that France isn't going to allow the Russians or Belarussians in the country for the Olympics...

Gentlemen's bet Russia and Belarus are allowed to compete under the pretense that the war in Ukraine is still ongoing? They may boycott but my bet is that they are allowed to show up.

i am an idiot on the internet

21 hours ago, mspart said:

Wondering why you have Snyder at Silver and not Gold?   Is Sadulaev scheduled to be there?  If not, I would say Snyder is the odds on favorite.   Just my $0.02. 

I think Dake is Gold, Taylor is Gold, and Snyder is Gold.   Steveson could be Gold but I'm hearing he is not completely 100% training FS.   But that could just be rumor.   I think the rest have the potential to medal.  But probably won't. 

mspart

I was operating under the assumption that Russia's #1's would be there.  If any of them are not that obviously helps us everywhere, but most notably at 74 and 97.  

On 8/30/2023 at 12:22 PM, steamboat_charlie said:

I was operating under the assumption that Russia's #1's would be there.  If any of them are not that obviously helps us everywhere, but most notably at 74 and 97.  

I would argue 61 KG as well.  Arujau could lose to a few guys that aren't Russian (Dake and Snyder have failed to meet Russo's in the finals as well rather recently), but the only one I just don't see him being able to beat is the Russo.  That puts peak for him at Silver or Bronze as well.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

No Sidakov is fairly sad,Valiev isn't much of a step down (as far as who he's an underdog against) but just doesn't get those sexy dominant wins.  3-2 vs Urrrbody (slight exaggeration) 

Are you saying he is the 74 KG Russian form of Will.I.Am.Lewan?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spladle08 said:

100%
Hard to pick against, but you're going to be disappointed you were right. 

Going 3-2 against the deepest field is a hard 'NO' from me.

He won't get past any of the slew of other contenders in which Dake is the favorite.  Dake wrestles 3x better the 2nd time he wrestles someone.  That will show against the Belarusian.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Going 3-2 against the deepest field is a hard 'NO' from me.

He won't get past any of the slew of other contenders in which Dake is the favorite.  Dake wrestles 3x better the 2nd time he wrestles someone.  That will show against the Belarusian.

I agree, Dake comes back from losses better than anyone, and yes, I don't think Valiev can win that many coin flops against this field.   I stand by my initial thoughts. 
Dake is clear #1
Kadi could beat him, but my overwhelming guy feeling is "you can't beat him 2x"
Tsalk is the most consistent not named Dake. 
Chamizo is my forever Silver Medal pick , with  some strange luck
Iran/Valiev/Demirtas/whoever......can all battle for a chance at bronze 

• Fire 1

57 KG - Uguev over Higuchi
Richards loses to Abakarov in the quarters, so is eliminated and DNQ.

61 KG - Magomedov over Arujau

65 KG - Amouzadkhali over Rivera (BOOM!)
Lee loses to Oto for Bronze, then defeats whoever is sitting there from the other side of the bracket for 5th - qualifying the weight

70 KG - Retherford over Yazdani

74 KG - Dake over Sidakov

79 KG - Marsteller over Mykhailov

86 KG - Taylor over Yazdani

92 KG - Valencia over Aitmukhan

97 KG - Sadulaev over Matcharashvili
Snyder wins Bronze and qualifies.

125 KG - Parris over Akgul

• Fire 2

On 9/13/2023 at 9:28 PM, Spladle08 said:
On 9/13/2023 at 9:26 PM, bnwtwg said:
Might as well hold out and make a sig bet

Lol Chamizo wins 74kg or i'll change my sig to .....

"nhs has the biggest juevs I have ever tasted..."

• Fire 1