Cashless Bail

Bigbrog

7 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

2 days? 

it's like a year.

the building was under assault for a year i guess.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/21/portland-riots-read-out-july-21

this is from 2020, your article is from 2021 

Okay, we're referencing two separate events.  Incidentally, the article you linked discusses people being arrested in the 2020 event as well.

This one took about five minutes, instead of five seconds.  As we can see, the more time goes on, and the more resources put forward, the more people get arrested.    Again, if we really want to know, the information is out there.

43 federal arrests in Portland since July 4, federal officials say | CNN Politics

District of Oregon | 74 People Facing Federal Charges for Crimes Committed During Portland Demonstrations | United States Department of Justice

More than two dozen Antifa rioters charged for Portland mayhem (nypost.com)

The organization has bailed out eight protesters so far, which has cost about $8,000, she said.

Police reports show at least 86 protesters have been arrested since Friday. About three-fourths have been released on their own recognizance and do not have bail, Cates said.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

January 6th peaceful protesters only wanted to get pictures with their favorite politicians. I am not sure why more don't understand this.

There you go a voice of reason. By the way Bob when did they get WIFI in heaven and is it expensive?

5 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

In fairness, the intent in Portland was to destroy a building, the intent in DC was the destroy the results of a Presidential election.  Not exactly the same.

By using the word destroy in describing both actions it inheritably is the same thing.

18 hours ago, DJT said:

Does FL just have set bail amounts for each type of offense, like it’s $1000 for battery, $500 for DC, etc? That might be how it is here with misdemeanors, and if you don’t post bail immediately, you’ll get a bail hearing and the PD will ask the judge for reduced or signature. Bail/bond is set at arraignment for felonies, but can only take in account ability to pay and likelihood of showing up, but all charges, even multiple murder, must receive a cash bail amount (no “held without bail”).

Primarily each circuit w/in Florida seems to have a "bail/bond schedule" that gives suggested amounts for each charge, but the judge is allowed to alter it as they see fit.  My personal experience arguing bond motions is that every judge I have been in front of has told me that a person is entitled to a reasonable bond, not an affordable bond (or some variation of that argument).  When the judges are doing their analysis of the bond amount to be set, I've not one time heard them take into account an individual's financial resources.  It's only enhanced by various GPS monitor programs which the individual is required to pay for themselves, and they have to pay an upfront fee.  Typically it's $100 up front and then something like $12 per day.

Within my circuit, the way it works is this, except for certain charges (domestic violence charges, DUI, or any arrest pursuant to a warrant that has no bond) a person has a bond as soon as they're arrested in most cases pursuant to the schedule.  Then, at first appearances (typically the first morning after an arrest) a judge sees everybody and bond can be altered.  We (defense attorneys) can file bond motions to have it heard, but at least in front of my current judge (I'm a Public Defender, so I'm in front of the same judge all the time right now), the bond is rarely ever modified unless it's being revoked totally.

• Fire 1

Do you see much bail jumping?

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Primarily each circuit w/in Florida seems to have a "bail/bond schedule" that gives suggested amounts for each charge, but the judge is allowed to alter it as they see fit.  My personal experience arguing bond motions is that every judge I have been in front of has told me that a person is entitled to a reasonable bond, not an affordable bond (or some variation of that argument).  When the judges are doing their analysis of the bond amount to be set, I've not one time heard them take into account an individual's financial resources.  It's only enhanced by various GPS monitor programs which the individual is required to pay for themselves, and they have to pay an upfront fee.  Typically it's $100 up front and then something like $12 per day.

Within my circuit, the way it works is this, except for certain charges (domestic violence charges, DUI, or any arrest pursuant to a warrant that has no bond) a person has a bond as soon as they're arrested in most cases pursuant to the schedule.  Then, at first appearances (typically the first morning after an arrest) a judge sees everybody and bond can be altered.  We (defense attorneys) can file bond motions to have it heard, but at least in front of my current judge (I'm a Public Defender, so I'm in front of the same judge all the time right now), the bond is rarely ever modified unless it's being revoked totally.

6 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Do you see much bail jumping?

Far more than the people who are released on their own recognizance (cashless bail), but to be fair, it's such a small number of people who are released on their own recognizance that it's not statistically significant.  What's odd is that Florida statutes actually use language in favor of non-monetary release, but in practice, it doesn't happen.

54 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Far more than the people who are released on their own recognizance (cashless bail), but to be fair, it's such a small number of people who are released on their own recognizance that it's not statistically significant. 

I think that’s something to be expected, given those released on their own recognizance were likely done so based on the low probability they wouldn’t show up for court (I.e. strong ties to the community, no lengthy criminal record, no history of jumping bail, etc.). If signature bonds/ cashless bail were given out willy nilly to 50% and cash bail to the other 50%, it’s highly unlikely that the cash bail would bail jump at even close to the same clip as the cashless.

• Fire 1

15th person in Chicago this year charged for killing or attempting to kill someone, while out on bail awaiting felony trial (8 murders, 21 total victims)…

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/07/hitman-killed-target-while-on-bail-for-trying-to-disarm-cop-prosecutors-chicago.html

I guess that’s not too bad compared to the previous few years..

IMG_1891.jpeg.129fd497b00c5102dc3c6c8c2be174ab.jpeg

Edited by DJT